JMonkeyEngine?

Hi,

I’m new here and found about JMonkeyEngine through google when I was doing a ton of research about creating a Java based multiplayer game.

Welcome to JME!

I dont think there’s anything stopping you from using JME for this purpose. Start by going through the tutorials, break them, fix them, understand them.

Then if I were you I’d look into @pspeeds totally awesome example JME games:

Asteroid Panic

or

Sim-eth-es

Look into those, break them, fix them, then start to tweak them into what you want to do. With the latter one, you can start with what matters the most, the backend, then build the frontend with graphics and audio as you go. But it will require some getting used to (going from a classic object oriented thinking to data oriented/component system). But the networking is handled in a very clever manner.

Other than that, JME has SpiderMonkey, a complete networking protocol to use if you want to start from scratch (so to speak). Sim-Eth-Es uses SpiderMonkey but wraps it in some very clever mechanics (all courtesy of @pspeed)

I imagine it’ll be a long road, but not an impossible one to traverse. Best of luck.

1 Like

Thank you for your response! The current networking system the source uses is netty. I got inspired of this video accomplishments https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCsWIr3pLOY and I see he said he used JME client and used his own server/source; which is exactly what I plan to do as well in order to use the contents that I have added to the game. I’ll try out the projects you shared so that I hopefully will get a hang on with the engine.

Thank you buddy! If there is any other information that would help me out with what I’m trying to do, would be greatly appreciated!

1 Like

The examples mentioned are “Entity system” based games, specifically an ES library called Zay-ES. While this is a very modern way of creating games and approach used by many (most?) MMOs these days, it may be a big bite to swallow if you aren’t familiar with it. (It still might be something to look into.)

The Sim-Ethereal examples also has a non-ES version that uses more traditional approaches if you are still interested in that kind of networking.
sim-eth-basic

Even if you don’t want to use Sim-Ethereal (a real time network object sync library using high performance UDP: Home · Simsilica/SimEthereal Wiki · GitHub) there is a basic JME networking example that doesn’t actually have any game code. It’s just a basic client/server setup that stops just short of sending game data.

Network-basic

For learning JME itself, the tutorials are the best place to get started. See the “Wiki” link at the top of the forum.

1 Like

What kind of multiplayer game are you looking to create? TBS, FPS etc…?

Since he edited the post: a runescape clone which also means that Protocol Wise he might already be tied to something