(June 2017) Monthly WIP screenshot thread

I was trying with greater values for SSAO but in my team’s opinion those are the best.
I may be wrong but screenshots of my depthbuffer will give you nothing, screenshot will have 8 bit per channel, my depth buffer is (as far as I remember) 32 bit.

Anyway, I’ll try to do that for you.

1 Like

the sharp edge is because you have an 8bit height map. So you only have 256 different possible height values. resulting in those “stairs”. Blurring the image is a way to avoid it but you also loose a lot of details. I pushed a change recently that allows to load luminance16f dds files:

1 channel 16bit float texture, with plenty precision. IMO the best format for height map. (since we don’t support 16 bit pngs)

4 Likes

I have made a release with this feature :slight_smile:

1 Like

Also about custom classes:
https://bitbucket.org/JavaSabr/jme3-spaceshift-editor/wiki/Itegration%20with%20user%20classes
:slight_smile:

1 Like

I can understand that. But, as most height maps are normalized as 8-bit grayscale, I think gaussian blur is somehow acceptable.

1 Like

Nice but… no i18n?

I’ll stick with my solution for now :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is actually pretty good idea, I will do that as well

1 Like

Following the idea of @thetoucher I added two light sources to Dark Golem’s arms.

11 Likes

Looks great… I love the added ambience created by the new lights. Really adds depth to the scene (not that it didn’t already have good depth).

1 Like

looks great, bet it looks better when animated =)

Within my lighting budget I normally have a few lights in a pool to move to the closest light emitting source.

1 Like

I’m placing lights together with objects (torches, magic missiles etc) inside their controllers, and register them in my light rendering processor.
For wide range and ‘heavy’ (shadowcasting) lights I have a special algorithm to enable/disable them. I don’t care about lights attached to magic missiles and monster’s auras - they are not casting shadow and they are often very close to player because such lights are effect of combat.
Monster’s light is new one, but I found a very smart way to cull it - I’m disabling it in controlUpdate and enabling in controlRender - which is called only when the geometry needs to be drawn.

In few words - it costs me nothing :wink:

3 Likes

This one is taken from Skullstone’s soundtrack:

4 Likes

It is not July’s release yet, but I was playing with terrain a tiny bit.

I was interested in textures and performance, so I creted a 2048x2048 terrain to test how it behaves.

The results are quite ugly now, and the FPS is low, but actually it is rather promising: the hills have nice curvature, and the the perfomance is OK despite the test is not optimized at all.

2 Likes

I like that visual style.

1 Like