(June 2022) Monthly WIP Screenshot Thread

Pachinko, anyone?

15 Likes

Nice, i prefer pinball :grinning:, it will be great to run using physics, oh an application for the new minie gears too :wink:

Ooh… Maybe tie into a smartphone/tablet’s accelerometer set, so the player can cheat/tap, but watch out for actually tilting…

2 Likes

Yeah nice idea, i did something similar to this before using a combination Geomagnetic and Accelerometer sensors (also known as orientation software sensor) to get the device orientation matrix on a jme vehicle was working fine, i will be getting this code ready for the public use soon :grinning:.

1 Like

In a way small news since implementing again the thing you’ve already implemented before isn’t that big of a deal… but progress is progress.

The new Mythruna engine now has a built-in blueprint editor again.

This was one of the defining features of Mythruna so it’s nice to have it back again. And it’s nice to know that it will definitely be in the 10 year anniversary release (since the last public release) at the end of June.

12 Likes

A new physics demo, simulating a cable coiled around a winch:

18 Likes

Hello everyone,
after days of study, research and a lot of effort, here is a prototype of a flame thrower.

In the video you can see the following features:

• Enemies are constantly regenerating over time.
  • They have a numerical health indicator on their heads and change color to red to view the damage caused by the flames.
  • The flames go out after a certain period of time by changing the color of the enemies to gray.
  • The flamethrower is discharged using it, see the ammo info at the top left of the game screen.
  • The rotating red boxes represent ammo that can be collected by walking over them.

Let me know what you like and what you would do differently.
I used the particle system already integrated with the engine. Let me know if you have ever used other libraries for particle effects.

I hope to see your works soon. Keep the flame of your creativity burning :wink:

14 Likes

Great job :slightly_smiling_face:, i was planning to use toneg0d emitters for similar artistic work (a car nitro) but didn’t find the opportunity, but i still think its still better to defer the time and the work to the stock emitter.

2 Likes

Which aspects required the most effort?

2 Likes

You asked for nit picks. Here is my (TWO CENTS)

When someone is standing right behind the person in front. the flame only hurts the person in front but the particles (APPEAR) to be going through the person in the back. So I would either stop the particles if it hits something or hurt the person behind.

It appears it should be getting the person because their are standing in the flames and the flames around around them but they are not hurt until (HP) hits 0 on the person in front.

At the start of the sequence, the person catches on fire before the particles (APPEAR) to hit the person. The detection seems to be on the first particle but (VISUALLY) it is a bit soon.

1 Like

@capdevon, It looks cool :slightly_smiling_face:

Is this using soft particles?

1 Like

looks great, i would just generally:

• make that 2 characters at once can be burning(in line, because i see it burn only first one).
  • Add smoke from certain areas like (like burning/burned person and flame itself, also a weapon ending)
  • make characters more-slowly gain color/burn

and thats all

1 Like

I’ve recently been using the ParticleMonkey library and am liking it better than the engine’s stock emitter. The stock particle emitter works well for certain types of things but overall isn’t as versatile or good looking as Particle Monkey I’d say.

With particle monkey I think you could make the particle emitter have physics, and then if the character also has a physics body, then the particles would naturally bounce off of the character and would prevent the particles from going through them.

1 Like

@yaRnMcDonuts, by the way, do you know if ParticleMonkey supports soft particles?

1 Like

I’m not sure, maybe @glh3586 could answer though since he made the Particle Monkey library.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I really appreciate your sincerity and your ideas. I will need some time to answer everyone, there are a lot of technical details that I would like to discuss with you. I will create a dedicated thread for this topic.

6 Likes

Would be go for somethings, but fire bouncing off an object, doesnt’ work. now if you could not make it bounce and just turn like fire would do. that would work.

I tried the library ParticleMonkey. I appreciate the contribution of the author. Many things can be learned from his design, such as physical particles and much more. However I don’t know if it is still maintained. The latest release is from 2020. The wiki is present, but the author has deleted the examples, which makes it difficult to understand how to use it. Do you know where I can find examples? It does not have a graphic editor. This is a big deal. Do you know if there are any?

This might be a bit of a tangent, but you might find it useful.

A little while ago when I started working as a junior VFX artist, I did a comprehensive check of various particle systems in jme, so I could do some experiments in my free time. And the results were… not great. Sadly there were problems with most of them.

Overall, to a VFX artist used to Unity on Unreal editors for particles, I’d say the last option is the only one that is at least semi decent.

3 Likes

In general it was all complicated. It was difficult to design a test case. I searched for reference material for flamethrowers, but found no interesting examples, not even in Unity. Particle effects are probably a weak point of the engine. There is still an open bug that I reported some time ago.

I hope that interesting food for thought can arise from this topic to promote some updates and / or for everyone to learn something from a difficult challenge.

1 Like