Lumberyard AAA Engine is Free as in FREE BEER

Read on PC Gamer http://www.pcgamer.com/amazon-launches-free-triple-a-lumberyard-engine/.

If you didn’t go to the link and read the article, in short, Amazon has released AAA game engine with multiplayer based on CryEngine and it is completely FREE. Check out the website for the engine Fully Customizable Game Engine - Amazon Lumberyard -Amazon Web Services.

It does depend heavily on Amazon Web Services for the multiplayer and I don’t think you can override that with your own.

What do you guys think?

…i have downloaded this and tested…it is based on CryEngine, so some learning curve is needed before you start making something which makes sense…while it does look appealing, i dont like to change my workflow every time something interesting pop up…thats recipe for disaster and never finished game…after all, all my needs are well covered with JME3 and i don’t see what i could benefit from Lumberyard, but spend more time converting things again…nice looking engine and i will keep it in my archive…

2 Likes

So the rumors were correct. Why didn’t they just say “we are going to make this” a year ago. :chimpanzee_closedlaugh:

But the vendor-lock-in to AWS might be a dealbreaker for some people.
I didn’t do a server-based game before so I’m unbiased. But maybe others aren’t.

I think my beleaguered old laptop started smoking just looking at that :smile:

Seriously though I’m quite happy with jME myself, but it’s nice to see more options enter the arena. Certainly don’t care for the idea of being locked to a particular web service, but I’m sure plenty of developers won’t be bothered by it.

What is so impressive about this engine?
Apart from some good looking screenshots and asset pack on the website?

Also isn’t CryEngine incompatible with Linux? I’m a Linux user myself, plus with SteamOS, it’s a Linux distro, becoming more popular Linux support might become a bigger issue with game devs.

Well I read a few months ago that CryEngine now supports OpenGL, but Linux I don’t know.
The Unreal Engine’s Linux-support was in Beta-phase last time I checked (half year ago).
CryEngine is also very strong when it comes to vegetation systems.
CryEngine is used in some large projects (e.g. Star Citizen uses a modified CryEngine).
EDIT: Jepp, Linux too:

What struck me as interesting about it was how Amazon was pretty much giving the finger to every AAA engine out there by throwing one out there for free.

Just read a post by another indie dev: says that animations are difficult with CryEngine because it’s either a full Maya license or 3DS Max - Maya Lite can’t be used with the animations plugin he wrote. Otherwise you can’t import animations, he wrote. No Blender? Hm…

Hm if I were to change the engine,

I woudl either choose unity for their asset store
or unreal for their great grafical power.

Reason is that both companys betting completly on it, while amazon can easily decide in 2 years, na we gonna axe it
So at least I would have the gurantee that the company is in there with me.

Just think about the endless project microsoft made that are similar, they might be great if you have a release planned for < 3 years, but since I’m in this for the long haul, it would create a great risk.

Jme on the other side will not really die, only thing that might happen is that development stagnates, but keeping opengl working somehow looks like a far easier task

1 Like

…while all this shiny big engines, including Unity, looks attractive, there is a dark downside they all have…for example, everything you will ever do, coding wise, in Unity, is literally useless outside of that system…you cant simply port codebase you have had there, to another engine, because all you do is scripting and injecting those scripts inside main loop, which you do not have control over, handling, and so on…similar situation is with big engines such as CryTek, Unreal, etc. Once, for some reason you are forced to move away your game from that system and use something else, i guarantee you, it means writing whole thing from scratch, including parts which did ‘automagically’ many things…thats where systems such as JME shines so bright for me…before i came here, I used few engines but conceptually same or very similar…and i had no real problems to port all my stuff to JME, on some pleasant way.

Then, media production. This big shiny engines, are nice long as you look over games done by them. But, what people don’t see behind AAA titles is hundreds of artists and programmers, working on particular game. Thats where beauty stops. You see, most of us, need tools which will do job, with less resources as possible, while offering relatively good visual style and good performance. Chances are, you will find yourself thinking of tweaking source of CryEngine or something else, in order to suit whole thing for your own goals, if your game step aside far from typical FPS (anyone remember Torque)…

Fact that its offered support for latest consoles, means nothing. Because without game done, which is good enough, been able to target consoles, doesn’t really mean much, if at all.

I really did walk full cycle around many AAA engines, way before they start been open, and i assure you that, SDK such as JME is one jewel and i will repeat again, im officially surprised that this system is not recognized much more than it is.

10 Likes

I think the name “AAA” Engine itself is somewhat missleading and stupid. How can an engine be “AAA” or what features really make it “AAA”.

As @Ecco said, it’s mainly the thousands of hours menpower who make the models, textures and animations look realistic. As you can see in his latest post in the Screenshot Thread, JME is capable of that aswell :stuck_out_tongue:

What is true that, since we have to discuss the dropping of openGL 1 (:chimpanzee_facepalm:) we can’t really focus on “AAA” Stuff like Tesselation, Deferred Rendering, PBR or such. Fortunately though this is currently in development, thanks to @david_bernard_31 and @nehon so we will soon be AAA Monkeys :stuck_out_tongue:

Also we have far too less “AAA” games being made with jMonkey which could be used for more extensive shaders, finding the bottle neck, patching in advanced features, etc. So just start working on your “AAA” project, the fellow monkeys will help you improving the engine, once we see where it stucks :slight_smile:

So I think we are capable to compete, since it’s not really the engine which makes a “AAA” Game.

Btw: Why do you think one could not remove AWS? It states you have the full sourcecode access so, …

Legal reasons for the aws stuff.

I think for an indie developer everything @Ecco said is true. I will never have art like they show in their screenshots, whether it is Unity, CryEngine or Unreal. So the looks do not really matter that much, especially because JME has all the tools that I need to make my games look good. If I wanted to really benefit from the graphical features of such engines, I would need better assets.

But in my opinion, the main advantage of an engine like Unity is the editor. I know that this has been discussed a lot and that it is not the point of JME to provide access to graphical tools like an editor, but it just eases development so much. You don’t have to write an editor for your game and then write the game, but you can focus entirely on your game and simply use the Unity editor. However, I know that it is not feasible that JME one day will have such an editor too, and I don’t even want it; it is not what JME is about.

But of course, JME has a ton of advantages too. It is open-source, has a great community, completely free, and as @Ecco outlined, you just write plain old portable Java Code which is easily ported and where you have full control. For example, in Unity, if you want to do something at the start of your application, you have to create an empty game object and attach a script to it, you can’t just put your code into the main method. With JME it feels like you are writing an application and use the engine for the graphics, physics and audio. With Unity you just write Scripts to control your game and not an actual application where you can decide everything design-wise.

What can we do to compete with “AAA” engines? Four words … 64 bit double precision … both in the scene graph and physics. In this area, we are at least 15 years behind … if not more.

1 Like

…just 2 words…nice assets… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Afaik Unity does not have 64 bit double precision either, I could be wrong though. And you can still shift the origin for large worlds.

1 Like

@mathiasj I am sorry but Unit can not compare to the other AAA engines, unreal, cry etc … Sure we can shift the origin of the world but it still doesn’t fix the physics limitations without writing some magic code especially if the physics is run on the server. Don’t get me wrong, I do think that JMonkey is the best solution for many many reasons. I just think the icing on the cake would be a 64 bit physics implementation at minimum … maybe it’s because I had to spend alot of time writing workarounds for my opened world space game and I am a bit biased.

@Ecco Yes nice assets always help as well :smile:

On a positive note, we now have cool new toys in 3.1 like instancing and single pass lighting :smile:

Lumberyard requires the following hardware and software:

Operating system – Windows 7
Processor – 3GHz minimum quad-core processor or better
Memory – 8 GB RAM minimum
Graphics card – 2 GB minimum DX11 or later compatible video card
Disk space – 200 GB minimum
Visual Studio 2013 Update 4 or later*

…i mean…200GB space…minimum…lol…i mean, seriously, all you need is good art you going to push in to your JME and you will be right at the edge with this so called ‘big guys’…

1 Like

What’s a AAA engine? IMO there are only AAA games…

10 Likes