LWJGL 2.9.1 released

A new release of LWJGL 2.9.1 is now available, lots of bug fixes in this release and some new features.

Notably OS X’s special full screen mode is now supported as well as OS X’s HiDPI mode.

Full details on the release and changelog available here.

7 Likes

thanks for the updates

Just curious: What’s the process to integrate a new LWJGL version in JME? Should we hold our breath, is it going to be postponed indefinitely because of the JOGL switch, or something in-between? (Modulo the usual “as people find the time to do it”, of course.)

One possibly incompatible change I saw in the changelog:

Fix: Keyboard key codes to return Unicode characters instead of ASCII characters
I'd want to have that anyway.
@toolforger said: Just curious: What's the process to integrate a new LWJGL version in JME? Should we hold our breath, is it going to be postponed indefinitely because of the JOGL switch, or something in-between? (Modulo the usual "as people find the time to do it", of course.)

One possibly incompatible change I saw in the changelog:

I’d want to have that anyway.

Afaik unicode should be the same for the characters from 0-254 but I might be wrong. You can just replace the lwjgl.jar and create a zip/jar with the same directory structure as the jME3-lwjgl-natives.jar and use them in projects instead of the existing ones (by making a new Library from these) if you want to try around with it. I don’t know of any hard problems with the existing libraries apart from the heavyweight canvas on OSX so we will probably test and add these in a “relaxed” manner.

LWJGL 2.9.1 is mainly a bug fix release (although does have a few new features). You can safely just drop it over older LWJGL 2.x versions and it should run fine.

The unicode thing is just a bug fix for OS X (not new behaviour), Java char’s have always been unicode it just this particular bug on OS X mean’t only ASCII char’s were being returned (since LWJGL 2.9.0), so restores previous behaviour.

Also 2.9.1 has fixes for canvas integration (canvas positioning bug fixed) but as for heavyweight issues on OS X those can’t be fixed by LWJGL and are a Java/JVM issue due to the way AWT is now implemented on OS X.

@normen Just for the record and to fill the gap: Unicode and ASCII are identical for 0-127. 128-255 was the range where vendors established their proprietary and mutually incompatible extensions (pre-X Mac OS, Atari, Amiga), or even multitudes of extensions (“code pages”: PC DOS, MS DOS).

@faust Thanks for the clarification. I somehow missed that this particular bullet point was just an OSX bug fix.