Making a 2.5D MMORPG turn base game whit Monkey

@SimonBedard said: somebody once told me that 50% of the job is simply the preparation, and when you think all the time some software can save you, i do believe there is something true in that.

Sure, but preparation means prototyping and testing smaller-scale models, rather just thinking about things. It might be different if you are doing exactly same thing for 20th time - but for any creative work, you need to prototype sooner rather than later.

@SimonBedard said: So could i still make one with the drawing look like graphic? Like wakfu the link i sent earlier?

You can play around with cell shaders - they turn 3d ‘photorealistic’ look and turn it into cartoon-like view. Examples (outside of jme3 - first one is Borderlands 2, second one tech demo for UE4):

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J55ehVVX2I[/video]

@SimonBedard said: but i saw some crazy thing been done real fast in a lot of video using those software.

I also saw this guy drawing a beautiful car in paint. Still i am not able to do it with any program out there.

@SimonBedard said: I mean this is the beauty of today programmation. Thing like this engine and other tools are there to simplify the job. They don't do it for you, but they most of the time garantie you a minium of quality. And this is why i asked this whole question at the first place : somebody once told me that 50% of the job is simply the preparation, and when you think all the time some software can save you, i do believe there is something true in that.

Nope, even with the unreal engine my assets would look like sh*t.
There might be some true thing in that sentence, but it is definately not the “50% of the whole project time” thing.

@zzuegg said: I also saw this guy drawing a beautiful car in paint. Still i am not able to do it with any program out there. .

This is in the complete opposite direction of what I said. Of course a pro is a pro, but the point of these programme is to simplify the job, so someone with a bit less talent can do a beautiful car too, or just faster. Compare modifying a photo with photoshop or paint. Anyone can do it with photoshop and most of the time it will look good while you need a lot of skill cause of the limitation of paint.net

And think about programmation. I don’t believe any of this (JMonkeyEngine) would had been possible if it had to be programmed with binary code! Feasible theoretically, but no one is good/insane enough to do any of these modern programme/game whit binary code!

And the more i seek, the more i found tool to do this. Problem is, most of those professional program cost a lot, more that i can afford. Am still seeking for free one or one that won’t cost as much. Just a quick exemple : the object oriented database am working with cost something like 500 euro. The demo version is of course free, but if i ever decide to go on with it, it will still cost me a lot, like 650$ CA. Yet, if it save me hour and hour of work, and it can make faster transaction than anything else I can manage, why not? I won’t write my own Database, and why should I? Same about the character modelisation, why should I work really hard about recreating the wheel when somebody already did it?

This is partly why i wrote this post, to get some link about programm like these. My graphics told me about Maya Autodesk, but after just a few minute inside JMonkey i hear about Blender. But what if there is something else, something better? Something that will save me, or im, hour and hour of work cause it can do part of it for me. I do realise that it will still take a lot of work, but just admit it is really easier and faster to do 3D animation with blender then it is with paint and binary code.

@abies said: Sure, but preparation means prototyping and testing smaller-scale models, rather just thinking about things. It might be different if you are doing exactly same thing for 20th time - but for any creative work, you need to prototype sooner rather than later.

The prototype part is already on the road, as yours main graphiste already started to make some concept art, and the game mechanic are pretty much already made, we just need to implement them in something.Just need to put those ideas into 3D and those mechanic into solid code, step per step, with the good tools.

Made a double post for some reason, and am not able to delete it… o well

@SimonBedard said: The prototype part is already on the road, as yours main graphiste already started to make some concept art, and the game mechanic are pretty much already made, we just need to implement them in something.Just need to put those ideas into 3D and those mechanic into solid code, step per step, with the good tools.
Then you came to the right place. Of course if you want to do less work you could just use unreal engine or whatever but it would look like any other generic unreal game out there. The reason for me and many other jMonkey users, I would guess is, that we have good knowledge in Java and want to make our OWN games. We don't want to create a map or just a model, for which the unreal engine is perfect for. No, we want to get into the code and create our own mechanics. And the perfect thing about the jMonkey engine is that it has an awesome community and therefore has lots of contributors from whom you can download plugins or game mechanics which you can use in your own game.

So basically you can just create a generic game with no effort with the engine but with limited possibilities. Or you could create own mechanics and get into the code to make it unique. There is a build in scene editor which obviously isn’t as good as the unreal one but you can also create a scene with the power of coding. It is all up to you.
And on top of that you get all of that for free.
I really don’t see why you are still struggeling with the decision to use this engine.
Just look into the beginner guides and see for yourself how easy it is to get started.

To make a good game with this engine you need good Java skills and good assets. The rest is just a matter of practice and experience.

1 Like

You’re overestimating the difference between the tools. Of course experienced Maya modellers are going to be faster than a novice blender user. They’ve used their chosen tool for years. They know its ins and outs. People who have used Blender for years would also be very efficient at modelling. The difference between the two tools is negligible. Maya just happens to be developed full-time and be largely adopted by professionals. The professionals are also mostly responsible for the quality difference you see in the assets created with the tools.

Also, comparing blender to paint or java to binary is irrelevant. They’re in completely different worlds.

The time you’re wasting on choosing the “good” tool could just as well be used on learning to use one. Just try the tools that you’re considering and see which one you
“click” with. Why code in C++ if java is more comfortable? The 10% speed increase is not worth it if you’re never going to even need it. Just my 2 cents.

1 Like