md2

I’m doing a little adjustment to my goals for this release. I’m adding a MD2 loader. This is simply because I wanted a basic keyframe controller. That is, interpolating from one set of vertices to the next. I think basic models like these are still relevant for various game objects. To make room, I’ve removed the Obj loader from my list as Obj is really not used much anymore from what I can gather.

I might add MD3, which would push one of the other formats back (ASE, 3DS or custom). We’ll see.

It would be great if you can keep in the ASE loader.

tomcat

Ok, then the ASE will stay for this release.

Time for a little teaser. :slight_smile:

Without texture…

Looks pretty good. Can you do skeletal animation with models like this?

tomcat

No, MD2s are very basic. Pretty much all the support is vertex deformation. That’s why they are so easy to do, but they are very limited in capability.

looking pretty darn good, keep it on mojomonkey!

By the way, whats made you choose MD2 over MD3, whats the advantages?

Easiness. I can get this MD2 model done in a day or two.

I guess its better to get the easy stuff out of the way first. As a thought, my ultimate animator would be the one which allows me to move the skeleton vertices and it can automatically calculate the new position of the mesh round it so I dont have to worry about it. Knowing very little about the animation stuff you are working on, how easy or difficult is it to do this? :?

tomcat

My hope is to make this very easy. That is what I am working towards. I would love to be able to generate real-time physics based animations. Model falling down stairs or something. Not quite there yet, but it is my goal.

Call Of Duty use real-time animations based on physics, just look at the response when you shoot someone. Its brilliant!

I guess its better to get the easy stuff out of the way first. As a thought, my ultimate animator would be the one which allows me to move the skeleton vertices and it can automatically calculate the new position of the mesh round it so I dont have to worry about it. Knowing very little about the animation stuff you are working on, how easy or difficult is it to do this? :?

tomcat

looks good!

how far back will the 3ds loader be pushed

p.s in the future will I be able to just build level in max or bryce and just stick it in the scene

It hasn’t been pushed back at all yet. However, I need to do some damage control regarding garbage generation in Vector3f Matrix3f. So, I’m not sure what that will do to the time frame.

Hopefully, the loader will be able to load complete Max scenes. Haven’t delved into it yet though.

If anyone has any experience, or wants experience, I sure could use loader writing help. There are a lot to do, and lots of other non-loader stuff for me to get done.

I’ll throw in my two cents: it’s looking really good, and I look forward to the final product. Add animation and it’ll be great!

Seeing as how you’re not too sure about being able to finish an MD3 loader, I’ll give it a try. Once you’ve comitted the MD2 - so I have a someting of a starting point, 'cause I have zero experience with model loaders - I’ll see what I can do. I’m sure I can get it to work - at least partially. :wink:

Just an update.

I haven’t been able to work on it until very recently, due to work issues and trying to take care of more pressing jME issues. Optimizing some things, etc.

BUT, this morning, I did get the keyframe animation in. So, it’s pretty much functionally done. I want to add some helper things, like making setting the beginning/end keyframe based on animation easy, etc.

I’ll try to get things finished up real soon and then move on to the next format.