Mirroring spatials?

Title says it all, I suppose. Is there any easy way to mirror a spatial over an axis? Or would it be easier to save two versions of each spatial, with one flipped over the desired axis?

You can try inverting the scale of one axis but you may have other issues… you will certainly have to turn on back faces since all of the faces will be wound backwards.

All in all, it’s probably better to just save two different versions from your 3D editor, one flipped and one not.

1 Like

This might also be possible using a Vertex shader, that gets a mirroring plane as uniform,
then you could mirror each vertex, and each normal.

But I would probably prefer the 2 model approach as well.

1 Like
@Empire Phoenix said: This might also be possible using a Vertex shader, that gets a mirroring plane as uniform, then you could mirror each vertex, and each normal.

Note: you’d still have to turn off back face culling.

@pspeed I figured I’d need to just use separate models, but I gave inverting the scale a shot and it didn’t work too well. The models I’m using are kinda angular, so calculating the axis over which to invert the scale was more trouble than it was worth, especially if the guaranteed fix is just flipping the models in Max and loading them.

@Empire Phoenix I’d give that a shot, but the problem of calculating oddly arbitrary axes still remains. Either way, thanks for the suggestion!

Thanks for the answers!