Monkey Mahjongg - demo / tutorial

Yeah, but it's not finished. I'd like to show much more things, e.g. different menu versions with Swing, FengGUI and BUI…

I am new to jME and was wondering why do you have a cameraDistanceNode and a cameraRotationNode instead of one cameraNode which you translate and rotate? 

Good question, simple answer:

If you ever want to attach a skybox, the node holding the position of the camera is the best place to do so. Obviousely the skybox shouldn't rotate with the camera, so I created an extra node for rotation. MonkeyMahjongg has no skybox yet, but some code originates from other projects…

[edit]

Oh, I realized that we move the pieces here, not the camera, so we have to attach a skybox to the MahjonggGameState. I'm right now updating the svn, it's kind of messy…

OK, not perfect yet, but I added a skybox:

By the way: Anyone interested to help out and add shadows to Monkey Mahjongg? I never tried this, but this would be the most important thing to get it realistic…

I have found the mahjongg code very useful… thank you again.

However I seem to have hit a bug in the swing menu… when I try to modify the properties, the swing components respond, but the drop-down lists are not shown. The list is opened breefly the first tme I try to open it… but closes automatically after that. And subsequent clicks do not open them at all.

Some problem with the background panel / layer? Still learning, so just guessing here.

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/jmeforum/index.php?topic=6307.0 suggests that this is a bug in some "early" JDK6 versions

I just want to say that this project is perfect for casual game developers like myself. To be successful a game does not need to be an action packed FPS, RPG, MMO, or Racing game. Learning how to create an event based game system such as Mahjongg in a 3D game engine is perfect for developers looking to move from 2D card, puzzle, or board game development to 3D. I happen to be a 2D developer looking to prototype some 3D puzzle game ideas, so thanks for choosing to base your tutorial on Mahjong and for all the effort everyone has been putting into it.

Thank you for the feedback. Monkey Mahjongg isn't ready yet. There's a lot to do, but I want to work on the menu (also implementing a BUI and a FengGUI version) and a HUD. What I'd really like to see are more effects, especially shadows.

OK here is something from the same site that is not boring: sudoku. The problem finding folks to work on these type of projects is they get frustrated trying to get the base framework jME into Eclipse. It is very frustrating when the ant command-line builds all OK including tests and demos but not from the target IDE (Eclipse). Attempts to learn the target framework by introducing your own test or demo fail because you cannot work effectively within Eclipse. I find myself importing such projects into Eclipse and using Eclipse as a glorified editor instead of an IDE.

Have you ever looked at NetBeans?  I have been a fan since version 2 :slight_smile:

geezenslaw said:

OK here is something from the same site that is not boring: sudoku.

I wrote a Sudoku puzzle generator in Java if you're interested. ;)

http://captiveimagination.com/svn/public/sudoku-api/trunk/

Something of a work-in-progress, but it's functional for easy to moderate puzzles. I never got around to finishing implementing the more complex solving equations but I'll get to it eventually. If you do end up using it, feel free to add those and submit the code back. :)

I thought of adding MonkeyMahjongg to the current projects listing as it is a good example of a playable jme game… While doing it I discovered the latest news on the google-code page:

08/24/2008: Code base switched to jMonkeyEngine 2, which is not backward compatible. Please use tag jme1 to check out the last revision for jME version 1. A new zip download for jME2 is planned as well, but this will take some time.

jME2? Great. Any other improvements that have been made since the last update?

…playable demo…

is maybe also a good point which could be added onto the projects overview… just a thought

Hi folks,

I just want to give you a sign of life. I plan to come back sooner or later to JME, but I couldn't convince my boss that 3D is so much cooler than business apps yet. So it looks that I have currently no time to work on the "playable demo", so if someone is interested in taking responsibility, please let me know. There are a few issues in the list, so it would be cool if these were fixed. New functionality would be just "nice to have" (except shadows, they are really missing). Come on, I know you want to play with bananas, coconuts and darkfrog…

Landei said:

Hi folks,

I just want to give you a sign of life. I plan to come back sooner or later to JME, but I couldn't convince my boss that 3D is so much cooler than business apps yet. So it looks that I have currently no time to work on the "playable demo". If someone is interested in taking responsibility, please let me know. There are a few issues in the list, so it would be cool if these could be fixed. New functionality would be just "nice to have" (except shadows, they are really missing). Come on guys, I know you want to play with bananas, coconuts and darkfrog...