MonkeyWorld3D

Is there a certain way I am supposed to set up the editor?  I mean I tried making a terriain like 5 times so far and it either tells me unable to save file please try again or unexpectedly quits… I first create a terrain and then add a mesh and textures to both then it quits… Ok thanks.

-Nate

Hi there.

Thanks for finding this bug, great job.

This is what you must do in order to create a level successfully.

1. First, go to the File menu and select Change Workspace.

Make sure you select a directory somewhere on your local machine.

This is important, because it will be the place where your levels will be stored.
  2. Second, you must first create a New level before doing any thing else.

Click File -> New. Enter the level name in the level name dialog box and press Ok.
  3. From here on, onwards you can create the terrain for the level, add meches, etc.

Import textures, or models, etc.

4. When you do a save now, the editor will know where to store the level data!

XD Easy hey!!!

The current version of the User Guide covers this in the chapter titled 'Navigation'.  By the second release of the guide the chapter will be titled 'Getting Started'.

Ok, I got it working but don't you think that it would be a better idea to have it prompt the user at the beginning to select his workspace so that the problem can be avoided?  Or even have a message box pop up telling the user that if he doesn't select a workspace the level cannot be saved?  I mean now that I know I can do it this way, I just think simpler without assumptions is a little bit better…  Great job by the way coding up this sick ass editor.  I was kind of pissed though because the editor I have been writing for two weeks is going in the trash but yours is way better than mine would have been. 

-Nate

Hey don't mean to be an ASS but I found another bug…

1. Create a terrain
  2. add a texture
  3. click on the texture in the terrain tab and then click generate… nothing happens
  4. click again and the generate texture box opens up

I know what your thinking this is trivial, but its still a bug am I correct?  :wink:

Regards,

-Nate

Hi all,

Ok here is what its going to be in the next releasees:

1. When you first start the editor, their is a pop up window, that will ask you about where to locate your work space, their is a default of course. ( Just like Eclipse )
  2. When you first start the editor, then of course their is no previously opened level, so the the editor will start with no rendering stuff, i mean no default level will be created, and its just blank composite, which most of the components disabled.
  3. You then create a new level, or just load a level, from the work space, and start playing with it.
  4. When you exit the editor, your last opend level will be save to the properties file as the lastly opend level, when you resart your editor, this level will be opend.

Status: Done, but we have to test it more, to make sure nothing goes wrong.

Thats for the level managment changes, you will feel much better with it. Of course their is many other nice stuff ;), Please if you have comments on this, then tell us.

I know what your thinking this is trivial, but its still a bug am I correct?

Let me check for this today, and see.

Guys it is really looking good.

Simple Bug report

I have been bit a couple of times by a simple bug to squash.  {file}.listFiles() returns null when there are no files.  Some code expects an empty array and crashes

if you search for listFiles() you will catch them

The first one to bite me was:
LevelTree.refreashTree(..) function

rootDir.listFiles()

more hit me later,

keep up the good work

Fixed thanks for finding it.

Hi all, well i am very glad to say that digitalntburn have finished the updates of the user manaual, its now a great piece of work, that every one intended to start using MonkeyWorld3D should read carefully, its now well organized, and much better lanauge.

Thank  you very much digitalntburn for helping us making it better. it now rocks.

Here is the download link.

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/monkeyworld3d/User_Guide.pdf?download

Enjoy.

Hi,

very nice editor, just started learn it yesterday.

Did you play RPG game Morrowind? Nice game. It has very good editor too. Whole game has been created in it. I think u should see it for inspiration.

hi,

i got source from cvs on source forge, but it is not compileable for me (at least libraries are missing)

is the editor still under development?

is in cvs complete, latest and compileable sources?

One of the main things you need to make sure of is that you're developing either under Eclipse or you have all the necessary Eclipse jars in order to work on it.  This utility is built using the Eclipse RCP.

darkfrog

hi,
i got source from cvs on source forge, but it is not compileable for me (at least libraries are missing)

is the editor still under development?
is in cvs complete, latest and compileable sources?

We have not included the libs to the cvs yet, maybe we will in the future, the libs from the release will just be sufficient, and yep this project is under develpment.

One of the main things you need to make sure of is that you're developing either under Eclipse or you have all the necessary Eclipse jars in order to work on it.  This utility is built using the Eclipse RCP.

Who told you that darkfrog, MonkeyWorld3D has nothing to do with RCP, please take a look at it first, before you say that. dispite i didn't build it on another ide other than eclipse, but i think it will just work fine. paying attention to the swt-lwjgl.dll, and swt.dll. for the gui we only used swt.jar, forms.jar, and jFaces.jar.

Thanks.

Hey everybody.

I've just finished the section of the guide on Building in Eclipse.  Within the next hour I hope to have the NetBeans section complete. 

One of the biggest things I found during compile was to set the VM argument in Run… to: -Djava.library.path=c:MonkeyWorld3Dlib

Outrunner, I'll get the updated guide to you for Source Forge very soon.

Oops…sorry, I must have gotten that confused with another project I was looking at recently.  I have it on my machine at home and guess I just remembered SWT and thought RCP. :-p

darkfrog

Ok, so NetBeans still needs a bit of work.  But here's the section on Eclipse building.  Give it a go and let me know if you see any problems.

Building in Eclipse (Windows)

The building of MonkeyWorld3D requires the latest source which can always be downloaded from CVS at SourceForge:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/monkeyworld3d/

1. In Windows Explorer; create a directory for the new project and a sub-directory within the new project that will include the library files.  Library files can be JARs or native libraries (platform dependent) which are usually dll files.

i.e. c:MonkeyWorld3Dlib
2. Extract the MonkeyWorld3D.zip file to a temporary directory; which is the pre-built distribution.

3. From the temporary directory copy the lib sub-directory library files (*.jar and *.dll) into the lib directory in step 1.

4. Open Eclipse.

5. Create a New Java Project.

6. Right click on the project

a. select Import
b. select File System

7. Change directory to the directory that contains the code.  i.e. c:MonkeyWorld3D

8. After importing is finished, right click on the project and click Properties.

9. From the dialog, choose the Build Path.

10. Click on the Libraries tab, select all of the jars in the lib directory that are related to MonkeyWorl3D, and click OK.

11. From the Run menu, click Run

a. This will display another dialog with some options

b. Choose Create Another Java Application

c. Give it a name: MonkeyWorld3D.

d. And search for the main entry point, (public static void main) which is in the MonkeyWorld3d class.

e. Under the Aruments tab add the following VM arguments:
-Djava.library.path=c:MonkeyWorld3Dlib

Notice that this is the lib directory we created and populated earlier.

12. Click Apply and OK.

13. If during a Run the output errors on one or several missing classes, like SWT, then they can be added manually.

a. From the Library tab click on Add External Jars.

b. Then navigate to the Eclipse plug-ins directory and choose
all that showed in the error. ( swt.jar, forms.jar , all that we
supplied in the libs ).

14. MonkeyWorld3D will start.

hi,

i tried it, but not exactly according to your manual

i had some problems:

INFO: Child (Directions node) attached to this node (level)

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.mw3d.swt.util.RuntimeProperties.getWorkspaceDirectory(RuntimeProperties.java:975)

at com.mw3d.swt.tree.LevelTree.refreshTree(LevelTree.java:77)

at com.mw3d.swt.tree.AbstractTree.<init>(AbstractTree.java:70)

at com.mw3d.swt.tree.LevelTree.<init>(LevelTree.java:67)

at com.mw3d.swt.tab.MainTabComponent.initSceneTab(MainTabComponent.java:105)

at com.mw3d.swt.tab.MainTabComponent.initTabLayout(MainTabComponent.java:78)

at com.mw3d.swt.tab.MainTabComponent.<init>(MainTabComponent.java:68)

at com.mw3d.swt.EditorGUI.initTreeComponent(EditorGUI.java:288)

at com.mw3d.swt.EditorGUI.init(EditorGUI.java:185)

at com.mw3d.swt.EditorGUI.createContents(EditorGUI.java:146)

at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.create(Window.java:348)

at com.mw3d.swt.EditorGUI.open(EditorGUI.java:315)

at com.mw3d.swt.MonkeyWorld3D.launch(MonkeyWorld3D.java:63)

at com.mw3d.swt.MonkeyWorld3D.main(MonkeyWorld3D.java:55)

public String getWorkspaceDirectory() {

if (properties != null && properties.getProperty("workspace") != null) {

File file = new File(properties.getProperty("workspace"));

if (file.exists())

return properties.getProperty("workspace");

else

>          return this.getClass().getClassLoader().getResource("context").getPath();
        } else
        return new File("./context").getAbsolutePath();

How can one simle load created level into jme scene graph?

Is here some helper class available?

This is a topic currently under discussion.  Ideally, it will be handled for you during a save but since MW3D is still in alpha this is an area that is under construction.

If you look in the context directory of your workspace you'll notice an XML file for each saved level.  At the present, you will have to parse this XML file on your own to load the level into a playable game.  Is this correct Outrunner?

This is still a huge leap over defining all of this manually in a scene.

This weekend and next week I'll be looking at a helper for level playing.  If you all have any ideas please don't hesitate to post.

Later.

Hi there guys.

At the present, you will have to parse this XML file on your own to load the level into a playable game.