Multiple choices in clothing with person + animations

Hello all,

I'm creating a game where a person can ride a bike, the person is always the same only the clothing can differ. The person always has the same animations.

What would be the best way to give the person the animation regardless the clothing?

Would it be an idea to just give it Material and then just use animations.

Thanks,

Perfectworld

If I'm not mistaken jME has a cloth animator (something with a ball and a curtain), you can try precompute animations from that for every set perhaps. Haven't really looked into it myself though so don't take this idea to seriously.

Shoudlnt you use skeletal animations plus skin plus multitexturing ?

Use the simplest design to support your requirements.

Must the cloth flow independently from the character's body?   I.e. if a character is wearing a loose robe and they bend forward, should gravity pull part of the robe straight down, or is it acceptable for it to stay formed to the body?

Do you need the clothing to reflect motion or wind?  When the character runs, should the tail of the robe fly out backwards, rippling in the wind?

On the other extreme, are your body models low-poly eough that the models do not show the shape of individual muscle (or sub-muscle) contours?

Sorry to ask here but I have almost the same question. Lets take the same example… If blaine just wanted to add a different texture (maybe the sponsor logos) to the "default" uniform, the way to go should be multitexturing only, right?

Now, if I would like to have different colors of exactly the same uniform (texture), can the color be manipulated inside JME?

Thank you.

Lepe said:

Sorry to ask here but I have almost the same question. Lets take the same example... If blaine just wanted to add a different texture (maybe the sponsor logos) to the "default" uniform, the way to go should be multitexturing only, right?

At the most, yes.  But number of hardware texture units is limited, so you may want to user muti-pass rendering or combine the texture images to generate a single composite texture image.

Now, if I would like to have different colors of exactly the same uniform (texture), can the color be manipulated inside JME?

I don't know if that's within the capabilities of the texture combiner functions.  Depends on the level of reality and resolution of the images.  For high res+reality, one usually one needs to be more selective than switch all 0xFF0000 pixels to 0xFF00, since realistic images will generall have continuous ranges of colors in addition to areas of constant color.  The general solution which will satisfy all of these cases is to use a good program like Gimp to selectively modify any colors you want to create alternate images, then swap texture images at runtime.  If an exact color-to-color translation really will work for you, you could decrease maintenance by making a copy of the base texture image at runtime and modify the colors of the BufferedImage pixels.  If combiner functions can do this, that may be more efficient.

Ok… now its clear to me…

I will try to play with the combiner functions and see what can I get. In theory, if I create the base texture as greyscale (desaturated) and then combine it with a solid colored texture controlling the alpha channel I could achieve the effect. Then, as you said I could change the BufferedImage pixes of that solid colored texture easily… I just need to test it.

Thank you.