Need some help in making a text based game

If anyone can point me in the right direction.

All i want to do is learn how to make a few simple game's to start off with & then create a boxing management game that has 3D involved with it but for now i want to make a text based game with drop down menu's, a few picture's for presentation & then evolve that game more & more as i learn more & more.

I've been all over the net & am just plain stuck so hoping someone here can help me out.

Thank's.

Maybe you could start off with one more specific problem you're currently dealing with, or else people will just be able to throw all sorts of general suggestions your way instead of helping you move in a desired direction. Do you at least know Java? Do you have a game design (paper) done already, with some priority features that you'd like to get started with first? Do you have any examples of similar text based games?

There was an old game called World Championship Boxing Manager from about 10 years ago that i would like to update based on the idea.

World Championship Boxing Manager Screenshot

Some screenshot's.

I know a little about Java but not a lot.

The main thing i want to do is the database, learn how to create different fighters & have new random fighters come through as you progress through the game.

I would suggest creating the actual game systems first in your case, then putting jme on top to make it pretty :slight_smile:

coreytst said:

I know a little about Java but not a lot.
The main thing i want to do is the database, learn how to create different fighters & have new random fighters come through as you progress through the game.

I am not familiar with the licensing on the software you listed, but assuming you have access to its original database, it may be possible to find conversion software that will place original data into MySQL or even XML.  You can then work with a plethora of available tools for establishing the game towards multi-player networking, single-player mode, or however you like.

If you're just looking for a design, MySQL is still a good starting place. SQLite probably provides the easiest alternative for something faster.  XML wins the best advantage of speed if done properly.  Otherwise if not, it can perform much more slowly.  Also, XML has its high learning curve when you get deep enough.

Whichever way you choose, it's best to start with something comfortable and then do a little of both working and adjusting after.