New design for Hub, still very much in-progress, sorry

Ok, I adapted a few things:

• The gap between the post "bubbles" was made a bit smaller and its shadow weaker
  • Forced gravatar avatars are now resized correctly (I forgot to upload my old according plugin to the new site)
  • The "Mark all topics as read"-button is back

If something broke, please tell me. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Kick-ass. Upvote that shizzle.

2 Likes

This theme really needs some color.
I suggest to add a game-related background. It will probably looks more cool.
Maybe this one :mrgreen:

1 Like

Thanks for stopping by Ünsal :slight_smile: (he’s the guy I commissioned to make this child theme, based off of ACME and his own parent theme, Firmasite.)

Yeah we’re gonna be experimenting with new color schemes. As for image backgrounds, I’m not a big fan, but if anyone can give me some examples of good looking sites using image backgrounds (preferably on their forum) to great effect, that might sway me, he he.

Some light color might be in order. I always found the green-black-white theme a bit too distracting from the content. The current one is a bit too uniform.
I think the alternating background color for postings should be eliminated. The borders are good enough at distinguishing where each post begins and ends (almost too heavy already); the additional hint is not needed, and in fact I found it slightly distracting (say, when looking for a specific passage).

I’m divided about the monkey heads - they’re appropriate, yet silly. (Silliness is nice but doesn’t sit well if you want to show the site to others in the sense of “look at the cool stuff I’m hanging out with”.)

Is there a way configure the number of postings per page? I prefer to read the entire discussion on a single page; having to page back to find a specific thing somebody said is somewhat awkwards (always has been, so this is an enhancement request).

Nice to see things getting fixed. Very much appreciated.

@erlend_sh
I removed the extra forum description and made the forum index look a bit prettier. :slight_smile:

3 Likes
@destroflyer said: I removed the extra forum description and made the forum index look a bit prettier. :)
Goodie! Where was the extra description coming from?

From my own plugin I wrote for the old theme, where the description was only displayed in the forum index. Remember? :smiley:

@destroflyer said: From my own plugin I wrote for the old theme, where the description was only displayed in the forum index. Remember? :D
I forgot ! :cry: I thought maybe it was one of Normen's tweaks so I just wanted to make sure we weren't adding it from one place and hiding it again from another.

Hi guy’s. I’ve been working on making the forum posts look better. What sort of placement do you think all the profile information should have? Can I hide some of the information such as the post number? I think putting the date above the post content would look good.

@bgilb said: Hi guy's. I've been working on making the forum posts look better. What sort of placement do you think all the profile information should have? Can I hide some of the information such as the post number? I think putting the date above the post content would look good.

http://test.hub.jmonkeyengine.org/forum/topic/send-calls-threadsave/

The post number is also a link to the post and sometimes we use those links.

The title stuff could move to the left side of the post.
Order:

Post#
Nick
Datetime (shorter format so that it fits)
Rate (leave out “this post” to make it shorter)

Caveat: This would work on my screen, where vertical space is slightly more precious than horizontal space.
I’m not sure how this would work on a smaller screen, or with a different aspect ratio.

can we have pagination also in top of the thread, couse if i wanna check last page i have to open and scroll all way down

@eraslt said: can we have pagination also in top of the thread, couse if i wanna check last page i have to open and scroll all way down

Not saying your suggestion isn’t a decent one but I thought I would point this out in case you didn’t know:

…takes you to the last message.

1 Like
@bgilb said: Hi guy's. I've been working on making the forum posts look better. What sort of placement do you think all the profile information should have? Can I hide some of the information such as the post number? I think putting the date above the post content would look good.

http://test.hub.jmonkeyengine.org/forum/topic/send-calls-threadsave/

I agree with @toolforger for the order things should be displayed. Maybe a bigger avatar.
Also As administrator we can see the Ip adress of the user…not that I care about this information, so you can remove it as far as I’m concerned. Else put it at the end.
And get rid of this dashed line at the bottom it looks ridiculous…

The post frame looks pretty good as it is now IMO

@nehon said: And get rid of this dashed line at the bottom it looks ridiculous....

…but then how will I know where to tear off the message?!? :wink:

@nehon said:

The post frame looks pretty good as it is now IMO

I would actually like that quotes are more visible. Maybe change the color of the vertical square on the left side of a quote a bit.

From a bussines side, i am really not sure that have a so much different layout for the main side and the forums is the way to go. Especially in times where all company’s buy tons of designers to push the corporate design everywhere they can.

@bgilb said: http://test.hub.jmonkeyengine.org/forum/topic/send-calls-threadsave/

I like this design definitively better than the active one.
It’s more comfortable to read to me, because the posts are not split by profile information.
I have just two remarks about the test design:

1. The inner part of the grey posts goes over the shadow both left and right (in FF)

2. The right column of the page (The search box and the Top Help Topics) is very wide. In combination with the profile information on the left side this results in a annoying small post width.
    Personally I don’t think I will ever use the Top Help Topics, and the search box could maybe integrated into the menu on the left side?

I think we can drop the post ID as long as we transfer its link over to the Post Date. And yeh, let's have that IP hidden from admins as well, it's utterly useless.

Also, I had forgotten that the left-align is the default in our parent theme. So you might have an easier starting point if you remove whatever CSS we have that’s creating the top-align.

@eraslt said: can we have pagination also in top of the thread, couse if i wanna check last page i have to open and scroll all way down
If you manage to position it left to the 'Subscribe' and 'Favorite' button, i.e. without creating a newline, then I wouldn't mind it. Take a shot at it if you'd like :)

@toolforger @nehon if you want to reorder the profile items, mockups would be greatly preferred. Also keep in mind that it needs to scale down to mobile vertical view.

I definitely agree the separator should be restyled. I’d say make it a hard line instead of dotted and color it dark grey.

@zzuegg said: I would actually like that quotes are more visible. Maybe change the color of the vertical square on the left side of a quote a bit.

From a bussines side, i am really not sure that have a so much different layout for the main side and the forums is the way to go. Especially in times where all company’s buy tons of designers to push the corporate design everywhere they can.

I think the quoted text should have a light grey background. This should come along with the change to a single post background instead of the white-grey-white currently in use.

As for the difference in layouts, they’re more closely aligned now than they were before. You can’t compare it to the front page, that’s essentially a picture. If you look at any other page you’ll see that the color scheme is quite similar.

I edited blockquotes to be much more distinct. You might have to refresh to see it. Wanted to have a go at the separator as well but my Chrome inspector skills are not advanced enough it seems, as I just cannot find it.