Welcome back monkeys! The place looks quite different, doesn’t it? Before we dive into the age old argument of black vs white, let’s look at all that’s changed.
New Server, New Infrastructure
Thanks to @jayfella diligently shopping around, we secured ourselves a top notch new server for free. Not that anything was particularly wrong with our current server, but it’s hard to compete with that price tag. It also facilitated a complete do-over of our server infrastructure, now based on Docker, orchestrated by @kwando.
It truly feels like a weight has been lifted, as we’ve effectively shed several tons of legacy cruft that has cropped up over the years.
This is always the big’un. And it has happened a few times too many, and for that I can only apologise. Discourse is our attempt at settling our forum pains once and for all.
@jayfella and @kwando deserve a lot of credit for doing the groundwork and getting the wheels rolling. Then, this past week, @nehon and @david_bernard_31 went on lockdown in their respective basements, vowing not to see sun again until the migration was done. We will not speak of the things they did to survive.
All four of the aforementioned have been putting in countless hours to make jmonkeyengine.org in its entirety a pleasant place to be again. Thanks guys.
- All valid users have been migrated. Users with no posts and no activity for a long period of time were purged.
- Passwords have not been migrated. To log in, you have to reset your password.
- All topics and replies have been migrated with very few exceptions (ancient posts).
- Ratings were migrated. However, the two systems had some fundamental differences, so compromises were made and some minor dataloss is to be expected. You’ll notice you have received likes from a mysterious individual called “ILikeWhatYouDo”. Do not engage with this person. He/she is not real and it will end in heartbreak.
- Subscriptions, Bookmarks and Private Messages were NOT migrated.
Discourse might be a tad different from what you’re used to. Please see this introductory thread to get up to speed. Discourse accommodates many different workflows, so take some time to make yourself comfortable.
New Front Page
A new theme is in place to better match the dark forum styling, along with an updated “Showcase” section. If you have a polished game you’d like to see listed, @erlend_sh is your guy.
Build Pipeline is back in shape
While we’re on the topic of new and shiny, builds are fully working again! Poke @normen for more info on that if you so desire.