New Test built 20110411 - With networking!

Ok, after about a month… finally there’s another build.

http://www.mythruna.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Engine_Test_Build

I’ll update the release notes later… but I’m having fun player right now.

The biggest new feature is networking. I’ve set up a server you can try out if you don’t want to run your own.

DynDNS offers host redirect… it’s what they do. One of their domain options is game-host.org. So if you put mythruna in front of that then you can find my host. Use the default port.

I’ll try to keep that server running for as long as I can.

Running your own server:

Anyone wanting to run their own will need the linux distro… so that they can more easily get at the jars, etc… Then just run:

java -Xms256m -Xmx512m -cp Mythruna-201100411.jar mythruna.server.GameServer

I may post more later… having too much fun playing at the moment and wanted to share. :slight_smile:

See… I opted for a riddle… though not a very fun one. :slight_smile: If you try to hit the above address with a web browser… you will get a web site that should clue you in that you are in the right place. Then just use that host in the game.

I am the first official Mythruna addict :smiley: That island with the lighthouse will consume huge amounts of my time I guess, great fun creating it with you :smiley:

Likewise… thanks for playing.

still a few glitches to work out but it will get there.

Normen’s house before the griefers get to it :slight_smile: :

http://oi52.tinypic.com/tah8as.jpg

And one more with the “boat” I made… and a picture of “Normen”… heheh…

http://oi54.tinypic.com/11sm8ac.jpg

I made a tiny cave and hid inside it, now I’m off for some work. Let’s see if anyone can find me! :smiley: (post a screenshot)

Btw Paul, the game seemed to load considerably faster on my Ubuntu (same computer though). Took less than a minute. Will test again on Windows tonight.

Great! I’ll try it out once i get home :slight_smile:

Then we’ll create and stuff

Awesome!

I’m trying to download Win build but link is not working or it is overloaded.

Will try again soon.

(riddle? Guess that I have understood it :slight_smile: will try)

I’m not sure how i will connect to the server though, do i have to figure out a riddle? :frowning: I like riddles but i’m sleep thus stupid today!

Did you make the menu with Nifty GUI? it looks good!

Are you planning to fix the fact that you can walk upside down and fly up walls any time soon?

Cheers!

You now can see my JME3 tribute on the shore of the starting position :stuck_out_tongue:

milkshakepanda said:
Are you planning to fix the fact that you can walk upside down and fly up walls any time soon?

Well removing the flying up walls thing would at the moment break some gameplay I guess.. :) Maybe it should only work with some "ladder" material later or something but for not this is just right.
normen said:
Well removing the flying up walls thing would at the moment break some gameplay I guess.. :) Maybe it should only work with some "ladder" material later or something but for not this is just right.

Yes, it would work with ladder. Well perhaps you shouldn't fly AS fast but yeah. I'm not really sure what caused it though. Is it because you can only jump if you are colliding with an object and that includes walls?
Wouldn't it be possible to set the jumping to only work with planes that are pointing in the Y direction or something?

I'm a programmer/game developer noob so no flaming if i'm completely wrong here :)

It’s a sort of bug in the collision detection. While pushing into the walls it’s possible for your toes to get latched on the top of a block. And if you are holding the jump button then you jump to the next block and the next block and so on. You can actually control it with little jumps and hang on the side of walls if you keep pressing in.

I will probably leave that until we have ladders… but I may also make that an ability that the player can achieve sometime. Because it’s lots of fun running up the sides of tall things. :slight_smile:

com.jme3.renderer.RendererException: compile error in:ShaderSource[name=Common/MatDefs/Post/bloomExtract15.frag, defines, type=Fragment] error:Fragment shader failed to compile with the following errors:

ERROR: 0:20: error(#155) Internal error wrong operand type built in unary operator function. Type: in sampler2DMS

ERROR: error(#273) 1 compilation errors. No code generated

:frowning:

pspeed said:
it's lots of fun running up the sides of tall things. :)

Indeed it is! :)
half said:
com.jme3.renderer.RendererException: compile error in:ShaderSource[name=Common/MatDefs/Post/bloomExtract15.frag, defines, type=Fragment] error:Fragment shader failed to compile with the following errors:
ERROR: 0:20: error(#155) Internal error wrong operand type built in unary operator function. Type: in sampler2DMS
ERROR: error(#273) 1 compilation errors. No code generated

:(

Oooooh... "Not it!" At least that's not in my code.

Booo... if I'd added a menu option to turn bloom off then you could play without it and probably be fine. Though everything wouldn't look as nice.

I assume you are running the latest drivers and stuff? I also assume that the tests that use bloom in JME (which tests are those?) also fail in a similar way?

To be clear… for anyone afraid so speak up. This was the riddle:

“DynDNS offers host redirect… it’s what they do. One of their domain options is ‘game-host.org’. So if you put ‘mythruna’ in front of that then you can find my host. Use the default port.”

If you join the parts together mentioned above, you will get a host. If you point your web browser to that host you will get a web site as confirmation… just to let you know you are on the right track. If you use that same host in the mythruna connect screen… you will login to my server and get to play with us.

We’re trying to be bit Zen about our constructions but please be a little respectful if you can. :slight_smile:

Big note:

Right now the escape key exits the game… no confirmation, no warning, just ‘good-bye’. Eventually it will open up the in-game menu… but I haven’t gotten that far yet.

Since almost every user who connects the first time seems to hit this, I thought I would mention it. :slight_smile:

pspeed said:
Oooooh... "Not it!" At least that's not in my code.
Booo... if I'd added a menu option to turn bloom off then you could play without it and probably be fine. Though everything wouldn't look as nice.
I assume you are running the latest drivers and stuff? I also assume that the tests that use bloom in JME (which tests are those?) also fail in a similar way?

Yeah it's my hardware stuff, I may not be running totally up-to-date drivers, tho they are at a max of 8months old (the time I bought the computer).
Tests that use Bloom? uhmm dunno which. Will look for them and give them a try.
(Me is a university student who is learning java atm and into jME community to look&learn. Will try my own project in the summer)

EDIT:
Bloom & Glow TUT
https://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/legacy/doku.php/jme3:advanced:bloom_and_glow