New Test built 20110411 - With networking!

Something was up on the server with the network stack. For whatever reason, networking started dying for that process. You guys were connecting but the server only ever got null addresses and couldn’t send things back.

I’ve restarted the server and everything seems to be fine. Right now it’s running on Windows XP which may be an issue. At some point, I’ll move it to a linux server but I don’t have one handy that I’m willing to dedicate the CPU to.

In the mean time, I’ll try to restart the server every so often. That instance had been running since Monday night… which I guess is pretty good for new code.

Oh, so multiplayer is working again?

I’m not sure if i’ll join though. I’ve been playing singleplayer for like 4 hours straight now and i’m trying to build an awesome house! :wink:

Ubuntu 10.10 64bit

Works great!

Good job Paul!

I’m curious what strategy you took for the network implementation. Seems to work rather well.

Any insights, comments, etc would be helpful as I plan on implementing some netcode soon myself.

Thanks!

I read this article:

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Latency_Compensating_Methods_in_Client/Server_In-game_Protocol_Design_and_Optimization

And then I read it again. And then I read it again and took notes. And then I had long discussions with Momoko Fan as we dissected it further. :slight_smile:

I use the new SpiderMonkey for the actual transport. On top of that, I use my version of what is in that article… with my own “flair”.