Nifty-gui editor

Thank you all!
I’m sorry for the late but in this days i was busy with some exams. Well to asw your questions i don’t currently have a donation button I’m planning to add after next version release . About my plan first of all make project open source and refactor the site to be more intutive. Now i’m working in 0.5.7 version wich will be include specific editor for each property for example a file chooser for image attribute in Image element. I think i could add also undo e reundo feature and it is so.

See you soon
Cris :slight_smile:

Seem to be a nice editor. :smiley:

Hi guys ,
I’m sorry for the long silence but as always i’m busy with exams … ! In these days I’ve worked on the site to make more simplier and prettier (there’s also a donate button if you want… :stuck_out_tongue: ) . I’ve also a ready prototype of new version maybe i could make a video to show you some new things… :slight_smile: . Finally I remember you that the next version should also be open source !
Bye , Cris :slight_smile:

An other news!! Finally Nifty-Editor is open source!!! check it here ! There’s also an article in my blog . I read about @atomix , maybe it could be useful to you! :slight_smile: or to the other who wants to make an editor also in JME . I’m still here to help!

@relucri:
Thanks a ton. I’m diving into the source code right now. I will call you out if i have any remarkable progress :stuck_out_tongue: Keep calm and finish those exam.

thanks very much for your effort, but I’m facing very strange problem the editor working fine but i can not save anything when i hit save it going in typical procedure of choosing the file name and place and when hit save nothing happen and no file is saved 8-O
help please

Sorry for this problem! Try to append .xml in the file name! and tell me if it works… :slight_smile: .

Btw @atomix How’s it going ? is it all ok ? :slight_smile:

Bye , Cris

@relucri : Hi , i’m working on the editor now but the fact is the progress it’s slow (i’m kind of busy at work) :stuck_out_tongue: , and it’s good news that for some reason i can reuse much of your code.

After a long time struggling with the idea of a GUI Editor, I can layout the problem in 2 approaches, which answer the biggest question:“How can the XML tree and the Elements keep in sync?” in two different way.
Approach A) Let’s assume the user never want to look at XML anymore, cause they really have a good visual editor, the XML just the way to save the things. So this is a one way from Element tree serialize to XML tree whenever needed. And it’s your editor’s current approach. I have to say, it’s not too hard (mean I my self see no difficulty at the moment) to integrate into the JMP, so for Phase1 of integrated Editor, I will just port your code to the JMP … and leave it like so! ==I will explain the reason later.

Approach B) Editor’s user want to use XML(text form) and also the Visual elements when creating UI. That immediately require the 2 way <-> synchonization for every changes. In turn this kind of sync make the problem become big and 3x harder. Further more I have to say XAM API of Netbean is lack of documentation at the time I start writing something with the API like this Editor. Now is it worth the shot… mmm I don’t really know for sure. At some point I think: " f#k it, just forget the XML, let the user just use the visual things, we have embed control editor, have 9 patch editor, style editor, groovy scripting,… a lot features already…" :stuck_out_tongue: .
And by this approach I have to change a huge amount of Nifty core for the sake of Editor friendly, for ex: hook into the Loader work flow in style of XMLLoadListener, hook into Creator, Builder to sync the XAM tree to the element tree.
It’s a huge amount of work, no joke!

That said I’m still considering between the two approach but it seems like I nearly take approach A because it’s maximize the reuse of your code at this moment and I see no hard work.

@relucri : I really open for your suggestions, because in fact, at first what I do almost is reusing your code and port into a Netbean platform code style for Netbean plugins enviroment. No big deal.

After that, I will add these feature:

1. StyleEditor to edit Style and attribute
  2. ControlEditor to edit Control class and include declared Control definition into the main type tree. If it still mising, display empty box.
  3. As for a “real” Nifty input testing enviroment, I also have to write a closed box input handler for a Swing container. That means I want the element to get input event in the Preview window for real, but just kind of events I want to test out. That’s change JMENiftyDisplay class but may be I figured out how to implement it.
  4. Automatic GUI generation: Bean to NiftyElements and Layout, the same with what MetaWidget does for other Swing or GWT
  5. Convert existed Builder to XML, dynamic create GUI via GroovyScripting

Nifty core changes or additions: [ I’m still thinking about contact @void256 for these changes, I considered it’s a huge impact but … still thinking]

1. More EventBus coolness…
  2. The hooks to cycle metioned above.

I added few GUI plugins, not just related to Nifty:
a) 9 Patch editor to extract info images (think : you don’t need to do imageMode your self)
b) Sprite editor, which can handle Sprite elements in a 2D style graph scene , (think Adobe Flash things) for JMP
c) Sprite compact, extract, texture atlas tool
======= Example for 3 above tools you can see at :
ShoeBox
http://www.aurelienribon.com/blog/
I made them cause I need them in JMP, you can use ShoeBox or GIMP or what ever you like :stuck_out_tongue:

d) PTS,SVG importer for the sake of artist.
e) May be improve the Bitmap font editor

P/s: Sorry for a little GL game’s ads but it will be so kind if you guys can try : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftINHM . My team’s game

Sorry for the long delay. I agree with you the choice B it’s really hard to achieve and maybe with groovy scripting even not so much useful . I don’t know … you could make not dynamic xml editing but as the current editor do . It’s a bit slow but the user will have a choice … just thoughts. By the way the other features are really cool!!! The Style Editor and Control Editor are planned also in Nifty-Editor but i don’t know if i can … :frowning:

p.s. i checked the game but via youtube because i dont have enough space in my phone ( i will install it on my tablet later ) it’s awesome! I like also the graphic style!

Bye Cris

Wake this topic up a little bit,

Good news, I’m nearly done porting @relucri editor to JMP and supports for Control/ Style definition file.
Still some issues with changes in Nifty base and also because some part of JME can not keep up with Nifty changes, imcompatible issues like pain in the asses.

Anyway, I still want to add two more things:

1. GUI Testbed :
    A closed enviroment to test input and reaction, now as simple as hover, effects and few more things…

2. Wire and prototyping
    I’ve came across a few GUI tools, and I love the idea of prototyping GUI the most. Like this one:

http://wireframesketcher.com/

So I also make the new Nifty gui editor a feature named “Wire”, that help user design and auto generate source codes define the connection between Nifty screens.

That’s the awesomeness right there but anyway I don’t have much time left, and cause this GUI editor can become big (mean over complicated) anytime soon, and I should handle it back to the guys when the time is right :p.

Any ideas and input are welcome!

2 Likes

@atomix any update on this? Also it looks like the niftyeditor.it site is down (so I can’t download v 0.5.5). Are there any other sources to download nifty editor?

The niftyeditor.it site is belonged to @recluri . I don’t know what happen. I will make another googlecode for download the new JMP integrated Editor.

Nifty is not getting much attention recently I thought, as my topic about suggested changes has no reply till now :
http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/forum/topic/nifty-gui-new-ideas-proposal-maybe/#post-248325

:stuck_out_tongue:

But dont worry, I will release it anyway. I’m not finish the mock and test features yet but port the old one include styles, controls editing. So stay tune for update!

Hi! the site seems online now , can you tell me if it works also for you ? by the way there’s no other way to download nifty-editor but go on github and build it your self, sorry :).

@atomix great work atomix ! can’t wait to see the controls and styles editing in action!

Bye Cris

Hello all! I’ve just published a new article about the next two version of nifty-editor : ) please read it and tell me what you thinking about. ( better focusing on new features before to solve other bug ? ) article

Bye Cris :slight_smile:

p.s @atomix How is going on ? : ) seems that your editor will be really cool ! and it will have more editing power than mine ! i was thinking that we could work together to make also the standalone version more usable :slight_smile: . github repo

1 Like

@relucri hi i’m on a short holiday right now so can not reply with much detail. May be i will post some screenshot in satuday as i get back .I just know we got accept for the gsoc 2014, why dont just make a entry with nifty editor

thanks for suggestion ! I’ve just asked where i can propose the project :slight_smile: would you be a mentor ? :slight_smile:

Have a nice holiday!

Cris :slight_smile:

Yes i can help but in fact don’t know if i should be a mentor or should participate in the entry :slight_smile: About mentoring, a couple of guys who also mentor in SDK area can properly do it for us.

Nice! :slight_smile:

@erlend_sh said: It's enough to just state your interest for now :) We begin accepting formal applications 10. March.

You’re a student, right? This would have a much higher chance of getting accepted if we can count on @void256 to mentor you though.

He says that also void could be a mentor :slight_smile: i’ll try to talk with him !

Void has accepted ! When you will be back could you provide more information about the state of integration ? So I can redact the formal application or we can do it together! :slight_smile:

Hey guys a little update before the GSOC application draft :

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3Y3UdEbIRQ[/video]

It’s a short video to let you know how I improve the previous version and where the new development will start :slight_smile:

Please tell me what do you think … and if you want fork the github repo and try it! ( just open it in Netbeans IDE to run).

1 Like