Couple of people are having a problem starting my game, getting this error:

[java]Jan 13, 2012 10:29:13 PM com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglAbstractDisplay run

INFO: Using LWJGL 2.8.2

Jan 13, 2012 10:29:13 PM com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglDisplay createContext

INFO: Selected display mode: 640 x 480 x 0 @0Hz

Jan 13, 2012 10:29:13 PM com.jme3.app.Application handleError

SEVERE: Failed to create display

org.lwjgl.LWJGLException: No support for WGL_ARB_multisample

at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsPeerInfo.nChoosePixelFormat(Native Method)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsPeerInfo.choosePixelFormat(WindowsPeerInfo.java)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsDisplay.createWindow(WindowsDisplay.java)[/java]

I force setSamples(1); – which is the default setting according to the code’s javadoc… should this really be set to 0? I sent another copy where I did set this value to 0, and he reports he got the same error (but I’m not certain he did it right…). Or is this error likely caused by something different?

Should be fixed in SVN now

Wich gpu does he have? maybee it does not support opengl 2.0

WGL_ARB_multisample doesn’t require OpenGL2, but yes you’re right that usually GPUs without multisampling don’t support OpenGL2

So I’m using laptop with an intel i3 processor with an nVidia GT520M graphics card. I too am seeing this error… I am using a 1-week old version of the SDK. Should I be seeing this?

Sorry, I don’t fully understand the workings of this, but have often seen this errors during JME development, and in this case I’m surprised as I have a pretty poky laptop. Just never got far enough to be concerned about it!

Thanks

Richard

Just try to install the newest avialable gpu drivers, hopefully they will fix it.

This is possibly a daft question (I ask them a lot!), but how can I be sure that it’s using the nVidia graphics chip rather than the intel GPU? And also… Are you saying that the Intel GPU doesn’t support anti-aliasing?

I am very keen to help here, so I will try doing some investigation. This sounds to me like something more fundamental than the drivers IMO.

Depending on laptop you have a option to force use the performance mode (or whatever it is called)

Usually the driver is pretty simple:

if name of file opening canvas = MassEffect.exe use performance mode with a few hundred games like this in list.

You now kan either modify the list so that javaw.exe and the tohers always use performance mode or you enable it manually beofre using such a programm.

If it starts look for the row i postet last (rest is so you know where to search for):

Code:
Apr 27, 2012 2:29:54 PM com.jme3.system.JmeDesktopSystem initialize INFO: Running on jMonkeyEngine 3.0.0 Beta Apr 27, 2012 2:29:54 PM com.jme3.system.Natives extractNativeLibs INFO: Extraction Directory: C:workspacenhGUI Apr 27, 2012 2:29:54 PM com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglAbstractDisplay run INFO: Using LWJGL 2.8.3 Apr 27, 2012 2:29:54 PM com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglDisplay createContext INFO: Selected display mode: 1024 x 768 x 0 @0Hz Apr 27, 2012 2:29:54 PM com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglContext printContextInitInfo INFO: Adapter: aticfx64 Apr 27, 2012 2:29:54 PM com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglContext printContextInitInfo INFO: Driver Version: null Apr 27, 2012 2:29:54 PM com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglContext printContextInitInfo INFO: Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc. Apr 27, 2012 2:29:54 PM com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglContext printContextInitInfo INFO: OpenGL Version: 4.2.11554 Compatibility Profile Context Apr 27, 2012 2:29:54 PM com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglContext printContextInitInfo INFO: Renderer: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series

Wow, that did the job. I am very surprised that the intel gpu doesn’t support anti-aliasing, but by forcing the nVidia control panel so that the graphics card is always used did the trick. Posting the specific screen to help somebody later on:

Cheers again

Richard

1 Like