(November) Monthly WIP Screenshot Thread

Newest title screen.

I’m sure it’ll change at one point or another. :wink:

2 Likes

Heh. I read the bottom-left label as “Bad Game”.
Just from the corner of my eye, mind you, but it made me take a second look and notice that the L and the o of “Load” are indeed too tight.
Also, the right end of “Options” goes too far into a darker area and loses contrast, “Save game” has a similar problem though in weaker form.

I like the overall idea though.

@toolforger said: I like the overall idea though.

Thanks.

As for the “issues”, don’t worry. This is scaled down. The minimum size is 1280. The screenshot is darker than reality too. Also, when you hover above each, they change color, a brighter color.

@erlend_sh said: @jayfella what kind of crowds do you hang out in? Most of the developers I know are textbook masochists :P

Hah. There’s being determined and there’s just pure torture. I’m married with two minions. I know the meaning of torture. I still can’t summon the strength to go near phone dev. It makes me feel claustrophobic.

@jayfella said: Hah. There's being determined and there's just pure torture. I'm married with two minions. I know the meaning of torture. I still can't summon the strength to go near phone dev. It makes me feel claustrophobic.

I like to joke that my current phone has more computing power than every computer I used before 1992… combined. So I guess it’s all relative. :slight_smile: And that’s not even an Android phone. My wife’s phone probably moves that date forward a few years. :slight_smile:

That being said, I haven’t done Android dev yet… but I hear the compatibility issues are somewhat exaggerated by folks with a vested interest in other platforms.

@pspeed said: ... but I hear the compatibility issues are somewhat exaggerated by folks with a vested interest in other platforms.

What!? Biased opinion based nothing but pure speculation and hate? Not on the interwebs, there is nothing further from the truth. >.< lol

@madjack said: What!? Biased opinion based nothing but pure speculation and hate? Not on the interwebs, there is nothing further from the truth. >.< lol

but but… it was on wikipedia :o

@jayfella said: but but... it was on wikipedia :o

Undoubtedly written by a The Onion journalist. :wink:

@madjack said: Undoubtedly written by a The Onion journalist. ;)

The fact that I still see people post The Onion articles as if they were real news makes me weep for the human race.

@pspeed said: The fact that I still see people post The Onion articles as if they were real news makes me weep for the human race.

There are a couple of journalists that are extremely good at this and sometimes the title or how the whole thing is written, is so well put together (and very relevant) that it can be mistaken for the real stuff. But, those are very, very rare.

Mostly it’s just people being brain-dead and regurgitating without thinking.

FYI, my faith in humanity has failed long ago. Once in a while it’ll be kicked a notch of two up, but it’s so down into the negatives that it’s worthless. Still, some individuals will be okay I guess. Those people won’t ever be able to redeem the whole though. :wink:

@thetoucher said:

Welcome to my rigging nightmare… Sure it’s from Blender but its part of a JME project and figured it may be interesting to see.

Cool, a wooden dummy! I practice Wing Chun and have used those more times than I can count.

@madjack said: There are a couple of journalists that are extremely good at this and sometimes the title or how the whole thing is written, is so well put together (and very relevant) that it can be mistaken for the real stuff. But, those are very, very rare.

Mostly it’s just people being brain-dead and regurgitating without thinking.

FYI, my faith in humanity has failed long ago. Once in a while it’ll be kicked a notch of two up, but it’s so down into the negatives that it’s worthless. Still, some individuals will be okay I guess. Those people won’t ever be able to redeem the whole though. :wink:

I think when the revolution comes, an inability to detect obvious satire should be one of the criteria that sends people to the wall. :wink: Actually, the right posters could do the job easily: “Visit the Wall. Free Cake! The cake is not a lie. Personal 21 gun salute for all who attend. And cake!”

Some screenshots of my current project:

7 Likes

Oooh! Nice screenies there! :smiley: I wish I had that kind of 3D modelling talent. :’(

1 Like

@pate5 wow looks pretty cool! I wanna build my own ship too!!

1 Like

A little side-step on my normal development. Given the number of different shapes I have in Mythruna, it is often hard to get the textures to line up at the edges for all variations (even a cube is tricky but doable). Long in the back of my head, I’ve thought about playing with 3D procedural textures because they wouldn’t really have that problem. For things carved out of a solid material, then the vertex position is enough.

Here is the progression I played with this evening…

Initial proof of concept:

Working surface normals:

Tightening up of the brick formula:

And finally, adding a little noise into the texture coordinates and color just to see how organic it might look:

The formula for bricks is super simple and not far off from things like nested spheres which could be stretched into wood-grain or "noised’ into cobblestone, etc…

Due to the way I calculated the normals there are some limitations. I also think parallax mapping may be out of the question completely since it’s a tangent space effect and tangent space has no meaning here. So I don’t know that I will actually use the effect much (if at all)… but I thought it looked kind of cool.

6 Likes

reminds me of .kkrieger.

@pspeed said:... but I thought it looked kind of cool.

It is cool! :smiley:

I wanted to make planes dogfighting in clouds… early test of my new clouds :

I made a test video also, the planes are on a random path, and the camera is 100% the stock chase cam, I didn’t even need to move it during the recording, pretty nifty cinematic cam really.

7 Likes
@thetoucher said: I wanted to make planes dogfighting in clouds... early test of my new clouds :

I made a test video also, the planes are on a random path, and the camera is 100% the stock chase cam, I didn’t even need to move it during the recording, pretty nifty cinematic cam really.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt6FPKyQamk[/video]

5 Likes