(November) Monthly WIP Screenshot Thread

OMG this is brilliant James

This is the pretties video of generated clouds James. Grats! :smiley:

1 Like
@sgold said: I've adapted @t0neg0d 's SkyDome into something more to my taste. There's a video demo on YouTube:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsJRM6tr3oQ[/video]

If you wish to browse code, start here.

I welcome constructive feedback. I’d also appreciate advice on how I should package this up for distribution. Could I contribute it to the JME codebase? And if so, what changes (if any) should I make?

This is really cool! I wrote this a long time ago and only released it as a plugin in order to figure out how to get a plugin out there :wink: Really glad someone has done something useful with the idea… thanks a ton for sharing this!

2 Likes

@thetoucher If I may ask, although as you said its still early, what’s the performance like? Promising?

@jayfella said: @thetoucher If I may ask, although as you said its still early, what's the performance like? Promising?

performance is encouraging, there is a shed load of room for optimisation and LOD.

1 Like
@nehon said: @sgold, that's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing. What did you change from tonegod's implementation? Also the only minor issue I'd see is that clouds seems to move from bottom to top, with no real parallax, looks more like smoke rising. Maybe the clouds' horizon line should be higher than the real horizon line.

@nehon. Thanks again for the feedback. I’ve now moved the clouds to their own separate dome geometry, which is flattened 9:1.This foreshortens them nicely. Here are day and night screenshots:

1 Like

Yep much better!

1 Like

Just completed settings for my game.

Was lazy and managed to use the KeyInput class from JME to display key bindings. Great for space bar and other keys that don’t have a character.

[java]
public static String getKeyName(int keyCode) {
Class keyClass = KeyInput.class;
for (Field field : keyClass.getFields()) {
try {
if(keyCode == field.getInt(null)) {
return field.getName();
}
} catch (Exception ex) {
// Shh
}
}
return null;
}
[/java]

3 Likes

@olavz you have a fine taste in fonts sir.

So is your game going to involve digging? That can actually get pretty tricky, will be interesting to hear more about how you choose to approach that, as it’s a fairly uncommon game mechanic.

@olavz Very cool! I will probably use that idea when making control options for my game.

@erlend_sh said: @olavz you have a fine taste in fonts sir.

So is your game going to involve digging? That can actually get pretty tricky, will be interesting to hear more about how you choose to approach that, as it’s a fairly uncommon game mechanic.

My project started out to be a excavator that would use LeapMotion to dig balls and cubes from one bin to another bin for level completion. However as one might suspect, this can be quite tedious and therefor I changed the concept. The idea now is to catch wrenches with the excavator and in places where the excavator cant drive / access one must use the arm to extend the possibilities and catch the wrenches.

Here is a second image of the first and only level so far:

@8Keep123 Cool, I will try to make a tutorial on how I did this, if no one have made any guidelines for how it should be done i JME3 :smiley:

1 Like

@sgold I’m trying to use your sky system in my game. I checked out the source from the svn, but I don’t really know how to use it in netbeans. I can’t open it as a project, because its just source code. I want to be able to compile it into a library that I can reference in my game to use the controls and assets you have included for the sky. Sorry for my noobness around version control stuff.

1 Like

@8Keep123: I’m happy to work with you on this.

For now, SkyControl is part of a game I’m working on. Detailed instructions for building the game using the JME3 Integrated Development Environment are available on the Google Code site. Building the game this way will also build the TestSkyControl app I demonstrated in the video.

To run the app, go to the Projects window, select jme3utilities.sky.test.TestSkyControl.java, and press Shift+F6.

Once you’ve got it working, you can delete all source packages with the “bats” prefix.

If you have further issues or questions, I suggest opening a new topic in the General forum here and mentioning my username.

@sgold said: @8Keep123: I'm happy to work with you on this.

For now, SkyControl is part of a game I’m working on. Detailed instructions for building the game using the JME3 Integrated Development Environment are available on the Google Code site. Building the game this way will also build the TestSkyControl app I demonstrated in the video.

To run the app, go to the Projects window, select jme3utilities.sky.test.TestSkyControl.java, and press Shift+F6.

Once you’ve got it working, you can delete all source packages with the “bats” prefix.

If you have further issues or questions, I suggest opening a new topic in the General forum here and mentioning my username.

Hi, I know you said to start a new topic, but this is just a small problem related to your files (I think). I did all that the wiki page said, except for setting the project as the main project. For me, there is no option to set it as the main project when I right click on the project in the “Projects” tab in nebeans.

When I try to run the assetprocessor file, I get this:
run:
Exception in thread “main” java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no lwjgl in java.library.path
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1860)
at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:845)
at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:1084)
at org.lwjgl.Sys$1.run(Sys.java:73)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at org.lwjgl.Sys.doLoadLibrary(Sys.java:66)
at org.lwjgl.Sys.loadLibrary(Sys.java:95)
at org.lwjgl.Sys.<clinit>(Sys.java:112)
at bats.AssetProcessor.main(AssetProcessor.java:103)
Java Result: 1
BUILD SUCCESSFUL (total time: 0 seconds)

And when I run the project, with the bats main class:

run:
Exception in thread “main” java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no lwjgl in java.library.path
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1860)
at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:845)
at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:1084)
at org.lwjgl.Sys$1.run(Sys.java:73)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at org.lwjgl.Sys.doLoadLibrary(Sys.java:66)
at org.lwjgl.Sys.loadLibrary(Sys.java:95)
at org.lwjgl.Sys.<clinit>(Sys.java:112)
at bats.Bats.main(Bats.java:273)
Java Result: 1
BUILD SUCCESSFUL (total time: 0 seconds)

Do I need to download lwjgl as a separate library besides what jme offers?

Please start another thread for tech support issues.

@8Keep123 said: Hi, I know you said to start a new topic, but this is just a small problem related to your files (I think). I did all that the wiki page said, except for setting the project as the main project. For me, there is no option to set it as the main project when I right click on the project in the "Projects" tab in nebeans.

…snip…

As in a different thread than this one.

@pspeed said: Please start another thread for tech support issues.

As in a different thread than this one.

Sorry… my fault.

Since it’s still November, and that it’s a thing I’ve been working on this month, I wanted to post those shots.
This is a Troll model that I made and tried to makes some renders during the process.
It’s not completely related to JME, but the goal was to make a game ready model.
The final model is around 7400 triangles

here are the imgur galleries with all the pictures

7 Likes

Looks cool! Does make me want to go brush my teeth, though. :slight_smile: Appropriate for a troll, I think.

Contrary to popular belief, I like to show off as well. >.<

Look at all that normal-map and specular-map goodness.

3 Likes

no love for windows 8 @Pixelapp?