(October) Monthly WIP Screenshot Thread

Can we get a screenshot of the week type thing going? I’m just interested in seeing what people are working on, and my guess is that most people won’t want to start a thread for their game until they think it looks good. Any kind of development screenshots are cool. Core devs, if you like this idea could a select screenshot be featured in a blog article every once in a while?

6 Likes

Well I like the idea, and make a start with my current loginscreen :slight_smile:

Imgur

2 Likes
@Empire Phoenix said: Well I like the idea, and make a start with my current loginscreen :)

Pretty. :slight_smile: I like the idea too but I have no current screen shots. :slight_smile:

…so I’ll post an old one:

1 Like

Both are very nice!
@Empire Phoenix Is that openbox wm your running on your computer? The window decoration and theme looks familiar, but I mainly use kde now.

@pspeed Woah. I don’t remember mythruna having that nice of a sky. Could you describe the process a little?
You’ve done fantastic optimization with mythruna, it seems like you would need so many objects for all the doors/ lights/ misc/ and the terrain fades to like, a terrainquad or something… neat. It runs very well on my machine.

It’s a 2.5D game, and as the name suggests its about dodging things. There’s 2 of us working on it and it’s our first game (started working on it around the beginning of the summer). We’re at the point where were finally about to start making a couple levels and fine tuning the game mechanics.

Also we came up with a crazy idea to have a “level editor” of sorts, to let anyone create patterns and firing routines. We use text files with ascii patterns to represent various missile formations in the levels we’ve made already. It might not be big too big of a leap to make a simple interface for making these files in a more user friendly way. Though we’re still focusing on game mechanics before even starting on a level editor.

1 Like
@8Keep123 said: @pspeed Woah. I don't remember mythruna having that nice of a sky. Could you describe the process a little? You've done fantastic optimization with mythruna, it seems like you would need so many objects for all the doors/ lights/ misc/ and the terrain fades to like, a terrainquad or something... neat. It runs very well on my machine.

My sky is such a cheap trick, I’m almost embarrassed to explain it. :slight_smile: Actually, you don’t see that much sky in that picture so maybe you are talking about actually when running the game?

It’s a giant cylinder with a tiny sky texture where each column of pixels represents a vertical slice of sky under certain lighting conditions. Column 0 is noon sun and the last column is midnight… basically. This way I could tweak the colors exactly the way I want.

There is a 24 hour clock that adjusts things like lighting color, bloom intensity, etc. It also adjusts the fog color and the texture coordinates for the sky. Then hours and hours and hours of painstakingly tweaking the settings for every hour of the day until I liked them.

I keep getting tempted to replace it with some of the algorithmic approaches based on light scattering equations but I partially worry that I will lose the “artistic” sense to it all. The aesthetic I lean towards is more “painting” than “realism”. My graphics and color palettes are all made with this in mind.

@pspeed said: My sky is such a cheap trick, I'm almost embarrassed to explain it. :) Actually, you don't see that much sky in that picture so maybe you are talking about actually when running the game?

It’s a giant cylinder with a tiny sky texture where each column of pixels represents a vertical slice of sky under certain lighting conditions. Column 0 is noon sun and the last column is midnight… basically. This way I could tweak the colors exactly the way I want.

There is a 24 hour clock that adjusts things like lighting color, bloom intensity, etc. It also adjusts the fog color and the texture coordinates for the sky. Then hours and hours and hours of painstakingly tweaking the settings for every hour of the day until I liked them.

I keep getting tempted to replace it with some of the algorithmic approaches based on light scattering equations but I partially worry that I will lose the “artistic” sense to it all. The aesthetic I lean towards is more “painting” than “realism”. My graphics and color palettes are all made with this in mind.

Cool. I have been thinking about attempting porting over SkyX from ogre, not exact, but changing what I want to fit my needs. I am going to realism though. Is your fog height based? Are you using the default jmonkey fog post processing effect? Sorry for so many questions, I just really like the look of mythruna

@8Keep123 said: Cool. I have been thinking about attempting porting over SkyX from ogre, not exact, but changing what I want to fit my needs. I am going to realism though. Is your fog height based? Are you using the default jmonkey fog post processing effect? Sorry for so many questions, I just really like the look of mythruna

Fog is distance based. No, not post processed. Fog is calculated as part of my regular frag shader… which is what makes it easy to not have it for things like the lights, etc…

Thanks for the kind words.

Somewhere recently I read an article on sky shading that was super simple based on the real light scattering. If I see it again I’ll post it. Though I think many people have already implemented similar here.

@Empire Phoenix said: Well I like the idea, and make a start with my current loginscreen :)

What kind of game is it? Looks interesting.

@8Keep123 said: Both are very nice! @Empire Phoenix Is that openbox wm your running on your computer? The window decoration and theme looks familiar, but I mainly use kde now.

@pspeed Woah. I don’t remember mythruna having that nice of a sky. Could you describe the process a little?
You’ve done fantastic optimization with mythruna, it seems like you would need so many objects for all the doors/ lights/ misc/ and the terrain fades to like, a terrainquad or something… neat. It runs very well on my machine.

It’s a xfce4 in an xubuntu with clearlooks style.

I also think this thread is a clever idea.
I am busy revamping my android 2.5D game that I have been working on now for a while.
It is an action, adventure puzzle game.
Here is an in game screenshot:

And I also have build a in App level editor. This won’t really make sense to you but at least you can see something:

1 Like

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

I’m curious: What game are you developing ?

1 Like

Nice Idea. We like to participate with a little screenshot of our current world editor and its “new” tools for generated heightmap and textures. The map is the result of basically three clicks.

More Information on our game: http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/forum/topic/myrdragor-a-massive-multiplayer-online-sandbox-game/

2 Likes

Nice. Looks very smooth so far.

All are looking really nice! Does anyone have ideas for how we should pick one winner once the week is over?

@8Keep123 said: All are looking really nice! Does anyone have ideas for how we should pick one winner once the week is over?

I don’t think there needs to be winners. If that’s what this thread is for then I probably won’t post screenshots in the future.

i agree with pspeed,

unless you just want to make a blanket decision that I win all weeks in advance :smiley:

Well, if there should be a single “screenshot of the week”, then we will have to vote for a winner, which should be in no one’s interest. I would more or less prefer to lets this thread be a huge box of images without a qualityrating or technical discussions, a place to show of what you got and where you are at a certain moment.

1 Like

Yes I agree with the above. To make this a contest might just push some awesome game images away.
I vote that this thread I only for game progress images.

I think creating a new thread per week is not a bad idea, though.