Optimizing objects inside JMP

After weeks of fighting it I decided to start using JMP :slight_smile: This is a typical newbie question so I apologize in advance.

1- I noticed that I can import my .obj models into it. I was wondering if there’s any way we could optimize the objects created in Blender inside JMP.

2- What object type is the most efficient? I noticed there’s xml, .j3o and .obj. What’s recommended?

Thanks!!!

Ogre.xml is more preferable. Then obj and blend files.

I use only blend and ogre files in my projects. You can save them to j3o too. :slight_smile:

In my case:

Objects with bone animations: Ogre.xml is more preferable.

Objects with bone animations: blend is more preferable.

Yeah, ogre is the preferred format, you can combine and optimize models in the SDK by editing the scene in the SceneComposer, the SceneExplorer will allow you to batch geometry and edit materials etc.

Just download the latest file from http://code.google.com/p/blender2ogre/downloads/list and copy the script to the blender scripts addons directory. See http://code.google.com/p/blender2ogre/wiki/Installation .

1 Like

I did it but Blender 2.61 still does not have the feature Export to Ogre. Also, if I convert it to .j3o using JMP all I can do it tools and optimize Geomtry is that it? should I do that for all my object and import them back to my project assets?

Still I would like them in xml format so I can use the LOD for more optimization.

You can optimize your geometry if its feasible, read the documentation on batching. Normal models are “optimized” already when they are imported. No need to “re-import”, its saved in the j3o file.

I should have mentioned I am using Eclipse in the main project, so JMP with an assets folder where I put all my models.

I wanted to use JMP just to optimize and than wanted to get that models back to that assets folder in eclipse directory. So how can I convert them to .mesh.xml so I can put them in that eclipse folder?

thanks

Just load the j3o files.

does j3o allow lod ?

and just out of curiosity how can I change it to mesh.xml?

You cannot change it to mesh.xml. Again, read the manual. j3o is saving the jme3 scene graph as it is while ogrexml is an exchange file format that can save just certain parameters of a model.

1 Like

From Blender, you can export in OgreXml using: File/Export/Ogre3D(.scene and .mesh).

If that option isn’t in the export options proposed to you by Blender (2.6.1), then you need to “activate” that option in Blender.

You do that by going File/user preferences/import-export and activate "import-export: Ogre exporter (.scene, .mesh, .squeletton)… ". NB: need to add that info in the OgreXml export doc. I believe that info (“activation”) is important because the quicker new monkeys are able to import their first model, the better… and lots of us are 3D modelling dildoes :).

You first have to, from the jmp ide, go Tools/OgreXml/Install Blender OgreXml.

If the option is still not available at that point, maybe you need to install python.

Hope that helped.

I get this error:

[java]

SEVERE: An error occured while loading jME binary object

java.io.IOException: The binary file is of newer version than expected! 2 > 1

at com.jme3.export.binary.BinaryImporter.load(BinaryImporter.java:148)

at com.jme3.export.binary.BinaryImporter.load(BinaryImporter.java:126)

at com.jme3.export.binary.BinaryImporter.load(BinaryImporter.java:110)

at com.jme3.asset.DesktopAssetManager.loadAsset(DesktopAssetManager.java:273)

at com.jme3.asset.DesktopAssetManager.loadModel(DesktopAssetManager.java:408)

at com.jme3.asset.DesktopAssetManager.loadModel(DesktopAssetManager.java:418)

[/java]

I don’t want to update my Eclipse Jmonkey libraries to the latest versions… Should I revert the JMP to that version I am using in Eclipse? any workaround?

Just use the same library version… E.g. you use the stable updates in the SDK, then you use the “branches/3.0beta” stable build in eclipse. Or if you use nightly then use the nightly libraries.

this might sound stupid but I use the nightly for my Eclipse main project: http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/nightly/

where can I get the stable versions to have the SDK and the main project synched? cz I update the SDK from the platform itself (assuming I am using the local libraries)

more accurately how can I downgrade the current verison used in the SDK to the one I am currently using in my main project (older nightly build)

You cannot. For the last time, read the manual before asking questions…

Dude! I did!!! It doesn’t say anything about not being able to downgrade to a previous version. I know I can FORCE my SDK to the latest nightly version but not go back. How would I be able to find out if I didn’t ask?!

my question is specific: I am using a nightly build that is newer than the stable version and older than the latest nightly.

So i got it working but still the same fps! same number of triangles no changes at all. So does that mean I can’t optimize anymore?

that doesn’t make sense that I am getting such a low fps (2-3) loading only 7500 plane squares and around 4000 shelve objects that are both optimized. shouldn’t the engine and my graphic card handle more?