Oracle buys Sun

So, Oracle has bought Sun and is now the Java owner… I am not quite sure what that means for Java. I suppose Oracle will concentrate on server things, like webserver backends etc. Java is traditionally very strong in that area. Before the deal was done, the Oracle CEO was talking about own mobile apps and an app store (JavaFX/Java Store) but lets see if that was just some comment to ride on the current mobile/app wave… Generally I think that for Java specially there will not be too many changes…

One thing the Oracle CEO said was "Suns partner program was a mess"… Lets see what that means.

What do you think about the deal?

Edit: Seems like they shut down project kenai… http://www.oracle.com/technology/community/sun-oracle-community-continuity.html

Interesting is the open source future of Java. Sun was going towards a full open source release, while Oracle is known to be not such a big fan of open source… Especially since they now have some power in their hands with google, ibm etc being dependent on Java…

Frankly i know nothing about oracle (i associate the name with database stuff, the last thing i'm interested in life) but I'm not particularily happy with the acquisition. I don't think oracle will harm the desktop side of Java (at least not more than Sun) but even if it does one there are alternatives.

I will miss the "crazyness" of Sun. Like "the black box", opensparc, Java3D (when it came out the first thing one could say was: "Sun, you will never make money with this", but it was a great piece of software) or the IDE war - i'm old enough to remember that back in the nineties thinking of a Netbeans or Eclipse for free was a sweet dream.

what if they start taking cash for the usage of java @_@

Addez said:

the java language and runtime specs are open, so the only thing they could charge money for is their own JVM/JDK afaik
normen said:

Addez said:

the java language and runtime specs are open, so the only thing they could charge money for is their own JVM/JDK afaik

even the jvm/jdk is GPL now, so if they do decide to charge, it'll just get forked.
faust said:

even the jvm/jdk is GPL now, so if they do decide to charge, it'll just get forked.

is it completely now? OpenJDK was still missing some things the last time I was looking.
normen said:

faust said:

is it completely now? OpenJDK was still missing some things the last time I was looking.

yes its complete (actually its in sync with the java 7 code), besides even the missing parts like the applet and java web start plugins (which aren't part of the jvm) have free replacements now (IcedTea project).

This acquisition always confused me… Seemed to me the acquisition happened months ago (or is it more now?..), but apparently now it’s “finished” (some major “it’s a deal” board decision happened, right?) and the talk is all around again. I recall reading about concerns for NetBeans. Oracle having it’s own Java IDE in JDeveloper and all, this could get interesting…

I doubt oracle will try to push their agenda onto Java… Sun had their own ways of profiting from it and oracle wouldn't want to lose that.

Momoko_Fan said:

I doubt oracle will try to push their agenda onto Java.. Sun had their own ways of profiting from it and oracle wouldn't want to lose that.

Agree there. The non-profitable parts of Sun were in other areas, java always did quite well. Theres of course big slideshows and info videos etc. about what they wanna do and what not, but BMW also said they don't just want the Mini from Rover :) You cant believe a non-person.. But from what they say they wanna keep the current Java world as it is, with NetBeans as the "non-spcialized" IDE..

One thing that I'd like to see (but probably won't) out of the acquisition is for Oracle to lean on Sun in regards to abandonment of projects.  Either GPL'ing the abandonware or continuing support would be huge wins for the community.  glares at Java Media Framework