Ouya + jMonkey in the future?

Why Kickstarter’s Ouya Looks Like a Scam

Someone just got 4M richier.

Looks promising to indie developers. If it actually gets people interested and doesn’t flop like the Xbox 360 Indie marketplace did then ouya!

The specs aren’t promising so it won’t be next gen and when the next gens come out I fear the worst for ouya.

The point people seem to be missing is a unified market for console compatible (using a standard controller and a big screen) android games. Yes this could be hacked together now but software goes where the demand is and this product, if successful, will generate demand.

This console introduces a controller and a big screen UI to an otherwise unremarkable (form factor is pretty nice though) android product but these things are incredibly important for getting android onto the tv as a gaming platform. From a game dev point of you it’s all positive, it means more choice and a new market.

I don’t think we’re missing the “unified market for console compatible android games”. I just feel like that market is probably incredibly small. I can’t even figure out what type of person it will appeal to.

@pspeed said:
I don't think we're missing the "unified market for console compatible android games". I just feel like that market is probably incredibly small. I can't even figure out what type of person it will appeal to.

Well it is at least 34,004 people at last count ;). It'll immediately appeal to the kinds of people who play indie steam/xbox arcade/psn games at the moment and may convert the strange people who play phone games in their own home into console gamers. With some decent emulators it'll appeal to the retro games crowd, with decent multimedia apps it'll appeal to those after a media centre. It might even win over a small handful of cash conscious hardcore gamers.
Personally I'm excited to see more creative splitscreen and coop games enter the console market, these thrive when graphics aren't a priority.
1 Like
@moredhel88 said:
Personally I'm excited to see more creative splitscreen and coop games enter the console market, these thrive when graphics aren't a priority.

Oh yeah! We get splitscreen back now that devs won't be desperate to sell copies to every player!

@pspeed said:
Last I read somewhere, Notch is quoted as saying he has no plans for Minecraft.

From Mojang: “If OUYA delivers on the promise of being the first true open gaming platform that gives indie developers access to the living room gaming market, yes that is a great idea. We will follow the development of OUYA and see how it resonates with gamers. I could see all current Mojang games go on the platform if there's a demand for it.”

From Notch via twitter:
"The quote from us on the OUYA kickstarter is woderfully vague, haha! :D"
"If this is good, it'll be good." - Mojang
"See, the problem with Minecraft for the Ouya is that it's android, and our android version of Minecraft isn't exactly that super great."

That's all I could find from Notch on the OUYA
1 Like