PBR Light, Quixel

Hello, I used one of quixel materials at this address,

then i made a jme material with sdk and used in a test class provided by engine,

material description is:

Material My Material : Common/MatDefs/Light/PBRLighting.j3md {
     MaterialParameters {
        Specular :  1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0
        ParallaxHeight :  0.05
        BackfaceShadows :  false
        Metallic : 1.1
        Roughness :  1.0
        BaseColor : 0.4 0.2 0.0 1.0
        EmissivePower : 3.0
        EmissiveIntensity :  2.0
        NormalType :  -1.0
        Glossiness :  1.0
        NormalMap : "Textures/sbbihkp_4K_Normal.jpg"
        SpecularMap : "Textures/sbbihkp_4K_Specular.jpg"
        GlossinessMap : "Textures/sbbihkp_4K_Gloss.jpg"
        RoughnessMap : "Textures/sbbihkp_4K_Roughness.jpg"
     }
    AdditionalRenderState {
    }
}

this is result: Screenshot-11 — ImgBB

i wonder if i doing it right?

EDIT: Yes it was wrong, I didn’t know about Albedo, needed to set: BaseColorMap : “Textures/sbbihkp_4K_Albedo.jpg”

so what about other options that quixel offers: AO, Cavity, Bump … ? how to set them?
what is the difference between bump and normal since quixel offers each but in jme docs refer to bump as normalmap? also there is other thing ok to use both Gloss and Roughness together? can someone light me on? is it good to use quixel at all with jme?

Where? If so then that documentation is incorrect. Bump maps and normal maps are two completely different things… though sometimes the alpha channel of a normal map is also the bump map.

Google is likely to provide way more information about the difference than I can type here.

2 Likes

Also tell me cavity, bump, and ao can set them in jme?! I read about ao in pbr part one

Ok, first of all, why you need setup material yourself? Are you making terrain or you just want apply it to some model? If you make terrain, you can just setup material in code, no need create file for it too.

And when you make models, then just make them as GLTF format that import as PBR into JME.

Also remember that PBR material require proper Light probe

For example you have Sketchfab site where you can preview textures used like here:

So you just import GLTF of it into JME and it will work (most properly if you have light probe/etc)

As i remember bump was much slower than normalmap, so its better to use normalmap.

If you want terrains like here:

Then you need to use special custom parallax occlusion made by Riccardo. So it is custom Terrain shader.

but there is ready2use PBR terrain too, just without occlusion parallax. Gif:

that as i remember was integrated into JME already and should be named like PBRTerrainLighting or something similar.

Anyway in all cases you need phong(color) / normal / metalness / roughness / specular. And in special custom one parallax texture for simulation of height in pixels.

Im using AO in my one too, but for terrain its not so much important until you use parallax one.

Cavity map, im not too much familiar with it, but it sound just like normal/bump/parallax, but for smaller details. Didnt seen support for it, but idk here.

Gloss as i remember is opposite of roughness, so in fact it is just inverted roughness.

Im not using Quixel because it costs a lot of money as i remember(maybe not if used along with Unreal Engine). There are many free/cheaper alternatives. Tho Quixel terrain is impressing (i mean terrain models along with textures).

2 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile: , but how you used AO? With what method you’ve set it?
Yes quixel high in price but nice quality, please give me if you have other options alternative to it, i also into using world creator or something similar too. It’s not like this you say, i tried many gltf models not all of them appear correctly i get this error"Could not find loader for extension" i thought i gonna need to set material and textures separately . I’m sorry if my asking are “dumb dumb” I’m terrible in 3d art I’ll get better :sweat_smile: , only art I know well is music I compose time to time
Also thank you for informing gltf is pbr by default didn’t know that, i gave them matdef PBRLighting material… and they lost their colors and textures wondered why . :sweat_smile:
also one more q, i read that for best practices i need to bake, and use atlases, is it needed with gltf? is there a peace of software that do this just very easy like give it the gltf and do it and give it back to you?

or you can bake it in blender for better performance

1 Like

The carpenter examples are Filters AO, but what you mean i belive is AO texture.
AO Texture is just a texture that show where to make model “darker”, and thats all about it.
And AO Filter is shader that make corners/etc darker

Tho myself for terrain i used additional AO based on parallax height in terrain. (you know, the lower the darker)

you dont need, but its usually good to make game work better.

Most important for you should be now “drawCalls” - it is for you, make lowest amount of Geometries.
For example dont make grass where each blade is Geom, just make bigger Chunk of grass as single geometry. There are libs that do that.

JME Have Batch tools that can merge geometries too.

Blender. Free and very good tool supported by many big companies. You can just load almost any type of format and export as GLTF there. Very good tool for modelling/animating

For texturing there is Substance tool very good, but you need pay for it ofc.

1 Like

ok thank you : )