Playing Videos in jme3

Hey guys,
i have been looking for a way to play movies in jme3 and only found posts that it currently doesn’t work.
How can there be a tutorial how to capture from screen to movie
and its still not possible to play movie on screen.

Shouldn’t it be possible to use the same algorithms for capturing to a file
but in the other direction so you can view a video thats on your harddrive?

Would be awesome if you could explain me how this works and why my idea doesn’t work.

Assuming that it should be able to load a movie into a 2java array with colorvalues somehow, how would
i display this color aray in the viewport?

Thanks for any support

No, it doesn’t work. If you can make omelette from eggs you wouldn’t expect to be able to make eggs from omelette, right?

If you have the frames as RGB data, you would just paint it to a texture at the right framerate, thats the easy part. The complicated parts are decoding the video (most de/compressors have restrictive licenses and no java implementation) and syncing the audio track.

According to this thread it seems our best options so far are JavaFX and JavaCV. Both are a tad hacky, but could work.

@normen @erlend_sh

A 1024x768 pixel *.jpg uses on average about 100-130 KB.
10 sec Film with 24 frames/sec -> 23,5 - 31 Mb.
would it be possible to have a zip with all jpg in that is loaded and treated as a film?
Then it would be possible to have logos on the startscreen and a film running in the main menu without space exceeding 100mb just for videos.

(blender for example offers you the option right of the bat to output your data into lots of little .jpg)

Would be awesome if you consider this :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@emtonsit said: @normen @erlend_sh

A 1024x768 pixel *.jpg uses on average about 100-130 KB.
10 sec Film with 24 frames/sec -> 23,5 - 31 Mb.
would it be possible to have a zip with all jpg in that is loaded and treated as a film?
Then it would be possible to have logos on the startscreen and a film running in the main menu without space exceeding 100mb just for videos.

(blender for example offers you the option right of the bat to output your data into lots of little .jpg)

Would be awesome if you consider this :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Well if you have single images, I told you already how you can display them, just update them as textures on a quad.