Procedural animation at the muscular level

If you’ve ever fantasized about simulating a game character at the level of muscles generating forces on bones, here’s an open-source project (in C++ with Java bindings) to show you what that might entail:

http://opensim.stanford.edu/

Here’s a non-technical introductory video: Planning Surgery with OpenSim - YouTube
And here’s the source-code: GitHub - opensim-org/opensim-core: SimTK OpenSim C++ libraries and command-line applications, and Java/Python wrapping.

2 Likes

Cool.

Looks like it may be a little to involved to be used in the games or animation field. (They talk about modeling the delay between a nerve impulse and the associated muscle force) They also seem to have a typically C++ overly-complicated build system.

I have had a (simpler) tool something like parts of this in the back of my mind. What I would like to see is the ability to fine-tune surface geometry based on the current muscle load.

1 Like

Probably. But many simulation techniques that are currently too CPU/GPU intensive to use in real time are used to develop content (in a tool like Blender or Maud) which gets baked into assets used in real time.