[Project] RTS game engine : OpenRTS is released

So, does anyone have some tips for a beginner/3D Artist how to set this up in the jMonkeySDK for easy asset contribution?

I’ve updated the wiki :

Is that usefull? Please make feedback and/or suggestions

1 Like

Hmm I tried that, but on restart it complains about a missing: “org.netbeans.libs.junit4” and the only option is to disable gradle support again.

If you’re using the sdk you can get it from the plugins manager :
o Tools → Plugins → Available Plugins → jUnit.

Ps : NetBeans version work fine on my desktop. (last time i’ve checked :stuck_out_tongue: )

Very odd: that install is unsuccessful, “plugin installer found a problem timeout of loading jUnit…”

Are you using JME SDK or stock Netbeans? I have no idea what happens to you.

I downloaded the stable 3.0 jMonkey SDK release and installed it on my Kubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit system.
It’s obviously not an OpenRTS but rather some issue with the SDK, but so far I am stuck. Thanks for trying to help though!

if you have a fresh install of the sdk it might come from the jdk/bin not being set as executable.
(this is only true for the linux version)
But not sure if it’s you’re issue there.

Before doing anything, check if you can install other plugins, if not close the sdk and try :
Go to => /home/myName/jmonkeyplatform/jdk/jre/bin → check if all files there are set to executable. if not, then set them as executable. → run the sdk and try to get some plugins.

ps : i don’t remember well the path of the folder, be kind :smile: .

Ahh, setting the executable bit for all the jre bins seems to have done the trick, thanks!
Rather serious SDK installer bug then, no?

1 Like

I don’t know maybe this need to be asked/reported to a core dev, i personnaly don’t understand this issue… so i don’t know where to submit it xD

Just wanted to say, I’ve been wanting to do a project like this for about 8 years! Just never had the time. Good Job! It’s so good I wouldn’t even start from scratch if I did have time, I’d just build on top of what you’ve done. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

1 Like

Thanks ! Now we all have to make it a great engine so if you find time, (first of all : tell me where!) don’t hesitate to “build on top” ! :smile:

Hi there !

I’m looking for a place to have general discussions about the OpenRTS project, more efficient for open dialogs and debates than the GitHub issues.

Do you think jMonkey’s forum could hold that? good or bad idea?

Just wondering. Thx !

1 Like

If not here maybe nabble can help? http://www.nabble.com

@erlend_sh THIS is an interesting question, and really defines what this community is all about. There is a “user code & project” subforum that is intended for this purpouse. Or not?

It is worth noting that forum is better suited for “open discussion”.
For “team collaboration” I’d reccommend something like https://slack.com/

No problem! We very recently did the same thing for Cubes. I’ll get you set up :smile:

Another good option if development is done 100% in public is Gitter.

1 Like

Wonderfull, thx !

I’ve opened this reddit thread to talk about OpenRTS and make promotion :smile:

Please come and follow the discussion, and don’t hesitate to vote ^^

1 Like

Hi there !

After a big refactor of the code, to integrate a json serializer and update the architecure, I’m back to work on new features.

Still on the map editing, I work on an auto covering engine that will place assets contextually. For now, here is a first implementation of the Poisson-Disc Sampling algorithm, with varied radius.

The principle is to occupy space without overlapping !

WIP !

6 Likes

a little pic to show the ground texture covering. You can see tuffets above the dirt or dirt in the joints of pavements.

Mmh…

Ok, ok, i’m perhaps not an artist, but the code works !

Thanks to all contributors to the transparency issue !

2 Likes