Proposal: features for jME

Hello everyone.

I’m proposing new features for jME, my idea was bigger but some features I thunk about aren’t good for mobile devices (I’m not even shure of these anyway).

Animation blending, decals, weather and mirrors.

Some kind of generic A* solver (like Micropather) would be appreciated.

Bye, Berserk.

Theres lots of A* examples, algorithms and test classes on the forum and its really not much code :slight_smile: . If we come to integrate pathfinding into jme it will be in the form of a bigger entity system with exchangeable navigation systems. Throwing all kinds of “useful” subclasses in would bloat the core engine unnecessarily.

Cheers,

Normen

Some of those features are already there, but you just need to know how to use them.

Animation blending, like blending from one anim to another, or applying different anims to different parts of the skeleton, is already there in the animation system.

Decals can be done via shader.

Weather can be done via particle emitters and screen-space effects.

Mirrors can be done using render to texture framebuffers.

Momoko_Fan said:
Animation blending, like blending from one anim to another, or applying different anims to different parts of the skeleton, is already there in the animation system.
Decals can be done via shader.
Weather can be done via particle emitters and screen-space effects.
Mirrors can be done using render to texture framebuffers.

What nice news! Thanks. As for the pathfinding, it was not just to mention if I mentioned Micropather: it handles pathfinding in whatever way you like (2D, 3D) but not only, is more a graph theory implementation than a simple A* solver. It works on whatever tile system, be it traditional quad tiles or hexagonal, or triangles in a terrain or nodes in a bsp/oct-tree/portal system and the list could go on.

Bye, Berserk.

While I’m here, I’ll ask about the not-suited-for-mobile-devices features I thunk:

volumetric lights, volumetric textures and projected textures.

Any future plan on these?

Bye, Berserk.

Any answers?

• Volumetric lights : why not, we have a light scattering effect, it could be adapted to volumetric lights
  • Volumetric textures : a bit more complicated, they need geometry shaders, which are opengl3 and higher. For now they are not supported by JME3 and does not meet the opengl2.0 requirement.
  • Projected textures can already be achieved in JME3. that’s what we do for shadows. It requires the use of a shader, and a projection matrix calculation. To see an example look at what is done in common/matdefs/shadows/postshadow.vert ans .frag. And look into the BasicShadowRenderer to see how the matrix is computed.