Quality

What quality of product can be made in JME?

To clearify, how advance can it be? In terms that a adverage gamer could understand.

Such as BLENDER can develope games with the same quality of a N64 game.

Where would JME fit?

well what is an advanced game for you ?

i think jme is a good base for making a professional game.

but as with any other engine, you need to have a team of talented people from all kind of types, lots of time and knowhow to create a appealing game.

check out the screenshots from Nord or Bang!Howdy etc…

you wont be able to make a high-end game like 'Crysis' with jMEs current status but I've seen the presentation of jME at the JavaOne and there was a strategy game that looked equally good than the currently available 'The Lord of the Rings - Battle for Middleearth' …

The looks of a game are HIGHLY dependant on the quality of the artist that provides you as a programmer with stuff  :wink:

I can definitely say that the games you can make with jME can be far better than what N64 has ever achieved (that's assuming you mean graphical quality  ;)).

The only reason you couldn’t match Crysis is because it has a state-of-the-art physics engine that, no offense, jME lacks. We have a nice physics engine, don’t get me wrong, but if you take a look at this physics demo for Crysis you can see that the explosions and other things are just incredible.

For games that don’t involve physics, you really have complete control over quality. If you want to have really high quality (and not be compatible with low-end machines) you can always just put in awesome textures and really high-poly models.

Of course, the real quality of a game comes from the enjoyment of the player, and I think plot is really what pulls that off  :smiley:

It's a little more than just the physics. I'm talking about the very cool shadows you won't be able to make with jME unless you want to play with 0.000001 FPS and much more  :wink:

@Trussel those crysis videos are cool, but they are not recorded in realtime.

Still, their engine is awsome of course, but comparing an open source engine with a AAA game is a bit useless :slight_smile:

Core-Dump said:

@Trussel those crysis videos are cool, but they are not recorded in realtime.

Ouch,  have to debate this.

I reckon they do those explosions by model animation mixed in with a few particle models. It means that each model that can explode needs to be animated for the type of explosion - many,  many models and animations but cheap on CPU.

Core-Dump said:

Still, their engine is awsome of course, but comparing an open source engine with a AAA game is a bit useless :)

What ever are you suggesting here ?

i'm not suggesting anything?  (my english sucks sometimes, maybe i don't understand the meaning)

i just think its another league of game engine.

and i don't really agree that you can't achieve most of what they can do. shadows. particles and whatnot are pulled off by the graphics card anyway. cascading/variance shadow maps, screen space ambient occlusion, relief mapping, gpu accelerated particles etc, it's all shaders and gpu…(i've tried all of them using jme without problems)

I guess the point is that many of those features are not readily available in jME, so even if jME itself (or LWJGL rather) is able to do those great effects, it would not be any easier than creating the Crysis engine oneself.

I believe the issue here is not potential (which we all know jME has) but availability (which will take a long time for jMe to really get there).

I think if EA pay a lot of people to make an Triple A game with jME, so the engine will evolute to have similar cutting edge technology.

jME doesnt have many of the built-in CryEngine 2 features. But that doesnt mean that its not possible.

SSAO that MrCoder is working on is a good example. Its a Crysis feature and are being implemented with/on jME.

Its just a matter of time/knowledge of development.

If we talk about performance is another history.