Question about MMORPG

Hi, guys !!!

In my game, my character can change your weapons, helms, armor, boots…My friends and I are creating a MMORPG, and for each item (weapon, armor…), I add a controller, but if many players are displaying, the frames down…

(First Question)Whats the better way to create a drag n drop items in my chars…like neverwinter nights, where when I can equip diferent weapons, armors? Because I need load a new item ( short sword -> long sword )…How better way to do this?

(Second Question)And when another player connect in the game, I must create a player with all controllers??? Or the other players can be a ImposterNode for instance…? I dont know this too…

Sorry, my dammed english, cannot me explain better

thx…and sorry!!

Surely the (headless) server would only maintain the controllers for each player, so frames dont matter. The client would only have controllers for their own player, then the server regulates what inventory each of the remote players have to each client.

Hi!!!

Each player send to server his current frame?

Thx a lot

Well I wouldnt put it like that, and its just my opinion.

What im trying to say is; your client isnt interested (or probably wont be interested) about the controllers, controlling all the other players in the world - it only needs to know what their current "frame"/equipment is.

Hope that helps.

Controllers - are you referring to bone/spatial controllers

Not sure since ive never used them.

I was more thinking along the lines of controllers to monitor which weapon, armour, inventory the players have currently selected and equiped.

adamgp said:

Not sure since ive never used them.
I was more thinking along the lines of controllers to monitor which weapon, armour, inventory the players have currently selected and equiped.

I would more so call that state - the changing of the state is a transition. The graphical changing.. more complex

Well there

hunter said:

Sorry, my dammed english, cannot me explain better

yep, lots of ambiguity

Hi, guys!!!

What I want know is ( second question ):

When my char is walking on scenario, for instance…for each frame (morphed of mesh (character)) must I send to server ???

Player (1) - >getCurrentFrame()

>

I think thats a bit overkill. Just tell the server you're walking, and let the client decide which frame to display.

I see what you're getting at now with the controllers - yes you'd need something on the client to monitor animation frames for each of the players.

Thx a lot, guys!!!

…and sorry for my spelling!!!

Maybe it helps if you read the tutorials from the Project Darkstar download. That really helps understanding the nature of a MMO server and its tasks. And you could use it for your project, if it fits.

I read a lot about this concerns in the book "Massivly Multiplayer Online Game Development 2", available on Amazon.

My plans to use JGN and let the frog worry about the ins and outs of handing a MMO server :smiley:

Since I've already written support into JGN for my own MMO, I'm not too concerned. :wink:

Hey, darkfrog…my friend talk with some months ago…Alisson…do you remember?

Hunter

Yeah, how ya been?

He

Some support is already there, but the clustering features and some other more advanced features have not been checked in as I wanted to test them more thoroughly first…then I got sidetracked on jSeamless, so it might be a while. :slight_smile:

However, there's nothing stopping someone from developing a MMO with JGN now, it's just if you intend on having more than probably 1,000 people connected at a time it might be problematic since it only has inherent support for one server right now.

Darkfrog: Have you released this MMO support for JGN, or waiting until you get jSeamless out of the way?