Recommendation Physics?

Hello,

I currently wish to add physics support to my jME game but I've read on this forum dat jme-physics isn't really maintained anymore. I already read on the homepage of jME, the interview, that jme-physics has memory leaks and bugs that probably won't get fixed anymore.

After also reading through this topic http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/forum/index.php?topic=12169.0 I am left with confusion what Physics lib is recommended for development of jME games. If someone could shed some light here I would be helped greatly!

Thanks in advance!

Darklord said:

I currently wish to add physics support to my jME game but I've read on this forum dat jme-physics isn't really maintained anymore. I already read on the homepage of jME, the interview, that jme-physics has memory leaks and bugs that probably won't get fixed anymore.

Not jme-physics has memory leaks and bugs, but ODEJava.

Falken224 is working on adding support for jBullet to jme-physics.
You can read about his progress here: http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/forum/index.php?topic=12264.msg92148
I would recommend to write Falken224 a PM and ask, if it is already usable for your needs.
JackNeil said:

Darklord said:

Not jme-physics has memory leaks and bugs, but ODEJava.

Falken224 is working on adding support for jBullet to jme-physics.
You can read about his progress here: http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/forum/index.php?topic=12264.msg92148
I would recommend to write Falken224 a PM and ask, if it is already usable for your needs.

My bad, I thought jme-physics was build on top of ODEJava..
Does this mean jme-physics is a stable, production ready, library? Also, from having a look at the JBullet I fail to see what improvements its integration with jme-physics bring.

Wasn't jme-physics already capable of of physics? What would jbullet exactly add?

Thanks!

jme-physics is only a abstraction layer, the work is done by the integration

there are several currently aviable:

ODE-Java ->Memory leaks, crashes sometimes

JODE -> Outdated, but works for simple stuff

JBullet ->Works fine, if it works, seems to have problems with constraint (vehicle test)

Native Bullet ->Semms to be a very basic integration, no support for settings gravity as it seems

PhysX ->Very basic, but seems to work kinda if you don't need more than collison detection, not sure about leaks however

JinnEngine->Not ready yet, but sounds promising

I cannot recommend physx, since you have to "install" it…there's no way around it. So you can't deploy your application in a signed applet or webstart…so DONT use that one…use  Bullet or JBullet

I didnt know it was on most PCs, but anyway, you can't be SURE so you have to pack it as well with your installation package…

Not being able to deploy your app as an applet or webstart could be a drawback, depending on your needs.

What is wrong with bullet ? Free, supported by a huge team…it's really hard to see why one would choose Physx, unless the simulation itself is 1000 times better.

Empire Phoenix said:

JBullet ->Works fine, if it works, seems to have problems with constraint (vehicle test)
Native Bullet ->Semms to be a very basic integration, no support for settings gravity as it seems
PhysX ->Very basic, but seems to work kinda if you don't need more than collison detection, not sure about leaks however

Thanks for this overview, Phoenix! :)

But I can't imagine there are memory leaks in PhysX.
Empire Phoenix said:

jme-physics is only a abstraction layer, the work is done by the integration

Thanks for the overview!
I think I'll stick with JODE then and keep a close eye on JBullet and JinnEngine.  :)

Not in the core of Physx but in the wrapper maybee

Baune said:

I cannot recommend physx, since you have to "install" it..there's no way around it. So you can't deploy your application in a signed applet or webstart..so DONT use that one..use  Bullet or JBullet

Most Windows-gamers have already installed PhysX on their PC, because it is used by many games:
http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_physxgames_all.html
Personally I don't see jME as a browser-only engine, so I can not agree with your opinion.

When there would be a good wrapper for PhysX, it would be my first choice, because it is free, fast, stable and supported by big companies. And the last point is worth a lot.

You are right. You have to put PhsyX in your installer, but it's the same with Java. Not everyone has a Java version on his PC and some may be outdated.

As far as I know there is nothing wrong with Bullet. :slight_smile: