Remove OpenGL 1 in jME 3.1? Noooooo!

600x800 damn… LOL…

If people even use 4:3 monitors anymore… Teh cool thing is 21:10 these days :stuck_out_tongue: .

I don’t know what exactly is new in the newer versions, but I would assume just things are more optimized and better overall than previous versions.

Intel Integrated chips can do pretty well though, and should be able to do better than 800x600… We want to hope anyways…

As for linux, yeah, I know, I was just messing :stuck_out_tongue: . I was going to say that the community would just need to develop it, but guess no one wants to…

Seems like a windows/android thing.

No, it has nothing to do with performance. The higher version numbers have more features. For example, if you want geometry shaders then I think that’s 3 at a minimum. The shader language changed over time, too, but mostly to expose features that couldn’t be exposed in the glsl1.2 syntax.

Newer version only add features / dpereate a few ones.

NO Zero nothing performance improvement, after all its just an api, not the implementation.
For example tesselation is on o the newer things, you dont need on intel, as it would grinding freeze the framerate.

I figured some performance gains?

Yeah, I know about features, I guess I didn’t describe my last comment well :stuck_out_tongue: .

Not sure what features are new with 4.0 that is important for people, or platforms…

Thanks for the info though :slight_smile:

You get performance gains for new hardware. Your OpenGL 2 apps continue to get faster and faster with each newer GPU.

The API controls what features are available.

It’s also theoretically possible that some hypothetical OpenGL 2 card runs OpenGL 2 faster than an OpenGL 4 card simply because it was dedicated to it and has less stuff getting in the way. Reality tends to be different.

For sure on the hardware, I just figured that code could also be optimized, and thus be able to run faster, but not too sure how that would affect standards like this that have been around so long.

For instance I was checking out Java revisions, and they were showing how some old version like 1.4 of Java would eat tons of memory with basic swing components like a table or textfield, and compared it to 1.5 with huge amounts of memory gone, and optimized greatly.

I definitely agree about the cards and the “clutter” of some languages, but if there were optimizations to 2.0 code, then it might run faster on the 4…

But I’m curious what you think, since you seemed to imply you wouldn’t get performance boosts, if there were code changes to the core…

Thanks.

JVM is special, cause the version is usually also tied to the vm.

Lets say i have a car from 1990 and one from 2010 does the newer one necessary has to be faster? driving was already in the 1990 version, but the 2010 has additionally autopilot.

Now for a car that only does 15mph/kph would a autopilot really add anything?

1 Like

hmm, yeah I guess I brain farted there and didn’t think about the VM…

Taking your example.

Lets say the car from 1990 and 2010 can both do 100 mph, but the car from 2010 can get to 100 mph 5 seconds faster than the car from 2010, due to optimizations and advances to the technology, if that makes sense :stuck_out_tongue: .

I just hear all the time about “if your code is written well,” so I’m not saying that the devs write bad code, but maybe they found something they could rewrite and it would be much faster, but maybe not… What is OpenGL even written in anyways… C? something lower?

Thanks.

Paper
opengl is just paper.

As much as the efficency of laws is determined by your local police and judges the performance of opengl is determined by your local driver and hardware.

This is opengl https://www.khronos.org/files/opengl45-quick-reference-card.pdf

Btw there are other vm implementations, wich are sometimes ocnsiderably faster (and sometimes way slower)
http://www.excelsiorjet.com

Also there are way faster but only older specificatio suuporting jvm alternatives

1 Like

so it’s just a spec? Every language just implements it their own way? I figured there was some sort of language that people would build up from… guess I was confused :stuck_out_tongue: .

I’ve seen OpenGL C++ and Java code with JOGL, Java Open GL, and JMonkey, I guess WebGL if you want to count that too, but figured it was all sourced from something…

I was looking at JET, it seems like a good program, but haven;t heard of azul… Thoughts on them?

I’ve heard there are different JRE’s and JDKs and stuff such as IBM’s, same kind of thing?

Thanks for the help.

…i can confirm that JME3 is a true beast…i am officially surprised that its not used by larger studios (or at least I don’t know about it so forgive me if im mistaken)…i have tested it over very unusual and quite idiotic hardware configurations, i have had experience before (customers reports from games i did before, and i tell you, there are, out there configurations which you will wonder is it reality or some nightmare), and results are outstanding…all i can say is that i hope ill be able to contribute something back, in some reasonable time…decision to go 2.0 and up from SDK 3.1 is perfect, and i couldn’t agree more…i really don’t know how to say this, but i just cant see loss of any kind with this decision…

2 Likes

If things are issues, they should be dropped. So many implementations of things try so hard to do things for “backwards compatibilitY” and it ends up being a nightmare.

There is so much complaints about “Java security vulnerabilities” and everywhere you see “disable Java in the browser” and that all seems to stem with Java Applets. It seems that Applets are really oldschool, and Oracle keeps trying to patch up issues with it, instead of dropping it. I don’t really see the point of an applet when you can do exactly the same thing (more than likely) with JavaEE.

Some people still like Applets though :P.

JME3 is great though. The community is for the most part really nice (don’t think I’ve ever had an issue with anyone), and it’s overall a great platform. I respect the core devs because this is definitely something that probably took a long time, and is overall a huge project.

For the, I’m assuming smallish Dev team, to be able to put out a Platform that is a top-tier product that goes up against programs like Unity, I take my hat off to them. I hope we continue to see many great improvements, and hopefully more people contribute to the community. I would love to help out, but I don’t know what I would be able to help out with…

Hm just everything,
whenever you feel something is missing, you can just try to improve it :smile:

…well…anything will do, i guess…my list will be something like this…

• batch script for 3dsmax and JME3 loader/parser for exported mesh data chunks, so 3dsmax could be used directly with JME3 without interchange (problem i have now anyway, and i did similar thing for Phyre engine so it should be fine)…its not some sort of JME file format, but reasonable way to get data out of 3dsmax and load in to JME3…

• AI (pathfinding, grouping, patterns, etc…) which is not recast based, but easy to use…i like this very much

• Minimalistic, very simple and fast GUI system…

…basically some sort of better organized libs i already wrote :wink: except batch exporter, which i have not touched yet…after this, maybe something else, if people like it… hehe

Just going to drop this here:
http://jmonkeyengine-contributions.github.io/Lemur/

• batch script for 3dsmax : you could help the guy on xbuf to implement this…
  • Minimalistic, very simple and fast GUI system… I had this need and I built this in only one night, easy to archive, if you want I can share this with you …

About the topic, people forgot sometimes that the jme is not only for windows development, for example, there is some android devices that runs only opengl 2.0… Yet, I could not find any case for opengl 1.0, it seens opengl 2 is to be an standard requirement for all new hardwares so its ok to be not supported by me …

OpenGL 1 is that old? But my PC is new and I have tried to update the Intel drivers for OpenGL 2 and gives an error that the computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installation. I do not know what to do anymore. And I’m not the only one with this problem, actually have seen MANY people with this problem.

…opps…some nice GUI libs already exists… :ok_hand:

Once AGAIN… what video card is it?

I think this is the third time someone has asked. I mean, if you don’t want real help just say so but then maybe stop complaining.

Must probably your video card is not intel…