Remove OpenGL 1 in jME 3.1? Noooooo!

@wagfeliz is trying to help me via Skype to update my video card, if it works, it will be amazing!

You mean they run on openGL ES 2.0, not openGL2.0.
ES is rather 3.0ish (according to wikipedia) and has it’s differences to vanilla 2.0,

Still, when you have an Android Phone with 2.0 you are quite fucked up in any case because most developers don’t support that old version (most of the time even tho they wouldn’t need 4.4 features). On iOS it’s even more like this.

Take my old iPod Touch 4th Gen and try to install some apps. You want to cry. Just a piece of junk nowadays.

Did you tried to run an very basic jme app on your phone ? It should work 

I wished I had such old device for testing 

Well phones that run Froyo tend to have really crap hardware that wouldn’t be able to run anything anyway. So why bother to to support something that’s too weak to handle the app while dropping the functionality that comes with later builds?

@pspeed Sorry for the response delay, my video card is Intel Express Chipset Family G31/G33. And I use Windows 8.

Yep, so with that underpowered card it looks like you are stuck on JME 3.0. You wouldn’t be able to take advantage of any new features anyway as that’s only a very basic chipset.

I was alone to argue against this change, it’s difficult for me to test JMonkeyEngine 3 since the abandon of the fixed pipeline but I admit that my computers were manufactured between 2004 and 2008. They work, why would I throw them into the trash bin?

It’s difficult to support fixed pipeline “smartly” and to support the programmable pipeline with no compromise.

And there are other options if one wants to do that. JME 3.1 is not one of them.

Yep, OP beat us
 This card is not compatible with opengl, and its an very commum card this days, if the guy bought the computer with out proper video card 

The thing is, removing this support on 3.1 will force some peaple here to stick on 3.0, mainly if you build small windows games and want it to have max compatibility

Of course you can put something in the requirements for your game, but its not for everyone
 An free mmo game cant have the lux to ask for requirements like that
 At least its what I think

I think it’s about time the support for OpenGL 1 was dropped! Congratz for the decision!
I think people should move on. Seriously, if you cannot afford simple and cheap modern laptop for 200 eur, you shouldn’t be making games.
Aaaand we can close the topic. :smile:

I don’t have such an old phone, only an iPod.
And whilst manual coding works, the appstore is pretty much unusable for that purpose. (So JME should work, yeah)

@MoffKalast I was talking about apps like a Guitar Tuner and such really low power apps which made it unuseable even for such stuff, and well, I think that is unfair. But it’s unrelated to JME

Btw: I just googled that

Intel G33/G31 express chipset family
Chip Type: Intel(R) GMA 3100
Memory : 286MB
Display Mode : 1440 * 900

Whilst you guys are talking about 2GiB vs 4GiB, this thing is running with 200MiB :smiley: Also only hd-ready.
TBH that’s not really a video card. It’s not even embedded into the CPU, it’s motherboard embedded and whoever runs such a configuration should experience trouble even when trying to watch youtube HD Videos.

For Gaming you should have a dedicated GPU, for other means it’s fine. You wouldn’t try to build a stealth bomber based on a glider.

Same goes with “Indies should support it whereas fucking expensive and huge companies don’t need to”.
Say “Renault should support the Nokia 3110 for the hands-free-experience whereas Porsche doesn’t need to because they are dope”

Anyway I guess most of us are so far away from distribution that the world may change until beta comes out :smiley:

@Dimalenus
You can give it a try with Linux. It looks like it supports OpenGL 2.0 on it. See the second link for details.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTM2MTA

You guys all think we build just games and for our self to play ??? For real ?
Also, there is a lot of people that use jme to build business app, utility apps etc, not just games, and who will use is never us, we need to think on what our customers machine has, and I know a lot of people with out video card 

As mentioned by @Vortex above, you can gain OpenGL 2.0 if you use Linux. Otherwise you will be stuck with OpenGL 1.4 on that card.

I think you should fork 3.0 and do the work of maintaining the OpenGL 1 compatibility. It’s a lot of work but it seems like it is worth it to you.

It’s not worth it to me. Even my business OpenGL apps could rely on OGL2 and that was a long time ago. In general, people with sub-par cards don’t buy games anyway.

2 Likes

Uh

How does this compare to T0negod’s gui? That’s what I was using, but haven’t gotten very far.

His graphics processor actually runs OpenGL 1???

Very common to not run OpenGL? What are we looking at for this? Which Intel processors and shizz
?

That’s my issue, one of my JME apps is a business app, and Idfk how I’m going to work around businesses who cannot support JME/OpenGL

Insanity that it has something so old on it

It’s just different. I can’t really comment on the other UI libraries without sounding ‘catty’ probably. I can tell you all about Lemur since I wrote it.

Lemur tries to be as lightweight as possible. Every Lemur GUI element is just a JME Spatial, really. There are lots of separable parts that you can use on your own (like the InputMapper, component stack, styling, etc.) that when all put together become a UI library.

Probably the best is to just read the linked documentation and especially the “Getting started” page. I spent some time doing a lot of documentation recently so if you go to the Lemur wiki you can find out almost everything. There are still a few corners I’ve not documented yet.

Very common to not run OpenGL? What are we looking at for this? Which Intel processors and shizz....?

Not compatible with opengl 2.0 I mean

Well everything with i3 or newer does support opengl.
Amd a6 does support it also.

Even at my old work the intel core duo onboard grafic was capable (it used linux tho)
Mesa in software rendering mode does support opengl 2+
 even without any gpu it would still work (set lwjgl hidden switch to allow software rendering).

You don’t get it. The idea is to hit the maximum percentage of the player base. I mean people that actually like to play with their computer.
If the percentage of those people that actually play with a card that doesn’t support opengl 2 is higher than 0,1% I’d be very very surprised.
Also let’s face it. Even the most popular games around on this forum will have a limited audience. So it would be foolish and a waste of time to search an extra audience in this 0,1% of people.

Also, if you desperately whant to try this, what’s wrong with sticking with 3.0?

1 Like