RPI3 Model B Android Things OS JmE

Hi there,
i 'd like to ask a question about RPI3 Specifically Model B,

if anyone have tried a jme Game using RPI3 M(B) with android things OS installed , i would like to know the general performance of graphics & minimal shaders use , & things that are supported & not supported , because it seems that most features wonot be supported**(OpenGL ES2.0)**.

Thanks

1 Like

I once tried running my project on a Pi 4 B. If I remember it right, the project did compile, but Minie couldn’t find the appropriate binaries for physics. Not sure about a Pi 3, though.
Doesn’t Android use OpenGL ES2.0, though? If that is true, and since both Pis and Androids use ARM architecture, we may be able to get something working.

1 Like

yes it is , but it’s currently a low android opengl version that is minimally was introduced since Android 2.2(API8) ,i think currently most devices use OpenGL 3.1 , so that why i am asking , i want RPI3 Model B because of Android Things Project

Have you tried jme3-jbullet or bullet-native ?

No, I didn’t. I was just trying to see if it could run at all on RPi, and I didn’t really bother taking it too seriously at the time. Later on, the Pi broke down, so that would prevent me from testing it out now.

1 Like

@Markil3 Though , out of curiosity , I have planned to buy RPI 4 B instead of RpI 3 B due to better cpu , gpu & memory , but Have you tried using Java ME (j2ME) or Pi4j to control a GPiO mode using RPi4 before , I want to make sure that java works perfectly there before buying…

I found this thread from before.

1 Like

Thanks @pspeed for the guide , seems it’s now fully supported from lwjgl-3.2.3 (ArmV8 x64)

I will try it on the RPI4 B & do an example code on this thread if it works with me .

EDIt: but I actually still having a question ,

Could I use this :
implementation 'org.lwjgl:lwjgl-opengl:3.2.3'(but this wonot include other open source java libraries !?)

OR

This :
implementation "org.jmonkeyengine:jme3-lwjgl3:3.3.2-stable"

Or both if them

I haven’t used j2ME or Pi4j (I don’t think I’ve even heard of the latter). However, I didn’t find it too difficult to get regular desktop Java working on there (I mean, one of the main reasons to get a Pi is for programming. Support for Java is kindof a must). The only issue is getting binaries for ARM architecture.

1 Like