Searching for games with complexity(also list of the ones I already know)

Well since I’m currently still somewhat bedbound, and can’t programm on my game all day, I though I could ask if someone here knows a few nice deep/complex games. I found it very hard to find similar games so far, as only very few people are playing each compared to the casual mainstream games.

Games that I already know:

DwarfFortress :
-> DoungenKeeper similar, Build a fortress with dwarfes into the world try to stay alive
->very basic grafics, with mods this can at least be upgraded to 2d low detail tile grafics, but still is very user unfriendly.
-> make some dumb mistake, watch one dwarf become depressed, ripping legs of kittens and painting the wall with it, then go on a killing spree trough your just build fortress.
-> Forgett to brew beer, winter comes all water freezes, see the surviors kill each other in panic ect.
-> Basically no way to win at all.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
(free closed source game)

SpaceStation 13
Official Description:
/tg/station 13 is a paranoia-laden roleplaying game set against the backdrop of a nonsensical, metal death trap masquerading as a space station.
Upon joining you get a job assigend and try to do your job and stay alive (depending on your job doing your job alone needs usually several hours of trying and playing untill you completly understand what to do when). Requires in character gaming for most fun, but has also very hilarious situations, if you dont know it i suggest to give it a try.

(free open source game)

Arma2:
So far probably the most complex military simulation game, Needs quite long to master even basics. (like flying a helicopter needs several hours of training, before doing it in teamhelping way) also very funny mods, like a mad max one, where you try to find supplys for your team and fortify a town whatever as your home, also there are a few rally gamemodes for it wich works surprisingly well, (never though makeing a racing game with old ladas and hatchbacks would make that much fun)
http://www.arma2.com/ (grafically limited version free on steam (no mods for this one))

KSP:
Well basically you build rockets and other spaceships and try to make missions within a real simulated solar system(eg scales and time)

(somewhat around 23$)

GarrysMod:
Well you have the source engine and stuff like welder, wheels ect, build whatever you want and the engine can still support. Has gamemodes for rp,space,towerdefence and nearly infinte other stuff, definitly one basically simple game, that gets comples by having sheer endless possbilities. (steam says i have wasted near to 900 hours in this game already)

10€ (you might need another source engine game first, also strongly recommend ep1 and ep2 as many addons use content from them)

Ps. I know play somewhat strange games, but the normal ones are usually far to shallow to motivate me for longer than a few hours. If you know anything fitting or similary complex a response would be great.

I was always a rogue/nethack fan. Surprisingly deep game if you get into it. The whole point of the game is to die later than you did last time. The depth really only becomes apparent when you read about all of the weird game systems in the game and other things.

I cannot have it installed on any of my computers or I never get any work done.

The thing is there are many different types of complexity. For example herodex on the surface is very simple, but then once you start playing team matches, looking at feats to level up, trading cards around, etc you open up a surprising amount of complexity.

Look at “the game of life” (not actually a game) for an example of incredibly simple rules which lead to extremely complex behaviour…

So do you want complex rules? Emergent gameplay? Deep background lore? Huge numbers of options? Tactical? Strategic? Twitch? etc :slight_smile:

Hearts of Iron, seems to have all the complexity of the world in one game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tl4oSM5hQE (small tutorial)

@zarch said: The thing is there are many different types of complexity. For example herodex on the surface is very simple, but then once you start playing team matches, looking at feats to level up, trading cards around, etc you open up a surprising amount of complexity.

Look at “the game of life” (not actually a game) for an example of incredibly simple rules which lead to extremely complex behaviour…

So do you want complex rules? Emergent gameplay? Deep background lore? Huge numbers of options? Tactical? Strategic? Twitch? etc :slight_smile:

Well actually any of those are fine, just something that I cant master withing a few hours perfectly.

Sim City 4.

Time sinker at its best.

Shogun 2: Total War on legendary :slight_smile:

Cities in motion, if you like transport simulations.

If you just want a timesink you can always start with diablo 3 :wink:

Eufloria. Simple, not very deep, easy to master, just relaxing.
For those situation where you don’t want a challenge but want to relax instead.

Another simpleton one: Pax Britannica.
Single-button game, so not too much complexity possible. Still not an automatic win, noticing the right moment to change strategy does require some Zen.

Dragon Age: Originas / Awakening DLC

The Witcher
The Witcher 2

Mass Effect 1, 2 and 3

Not an RPG, but eh, time killer and this version of it is kinda well made
Assassin’s Creed 2, you don’t need the first nor the last.

Ugh. Don’t get Mass Effect.

Incredibly awesome series right up to the last half hour where it all goes to shit.

@zarch said: Ugh. Don't get Mass Effect.

Incredibly awesome series right up to the last half hour where it all goes to shit.

Played the sequel more then 13 times xD and had to replay the first one several cus i freaking loved the choices, each game play i found out smth new.

Mass effect 1 - superb
Mass effect 2 - awesome
Mass effect 3 - really good right up till the final push when they
**** SPOILER ALERT
all get blown to crap - then somehow the normandy can take time out of the main firefight to come pick up the compansions (so since it can get there why not drop them off in the first place, and for that matter why dont the rest of your companions come out of the normandy at that point and help finish the mission?) and they have time for some touching parting in the middle of a war…

…the section with the illusive man on the station I thought was actually really well done and a nice conclusion to that section of the plot…

…but then it all went to shit after that.

@zarch said: Mass effect 1 - superb Mass effect 2 - awesome Mass effect 3 - really good right up till the final push when they **** SPOILER ALERT all get blown to crap - then somehow the normandy can take time out of the main firefight to come pick up the compansions (so since it can get there why not drop them off in the first place, and for that matter why dont the rest of your companions come out of the normandy at that point and help finish the mission?) and they have time for some touching parting in the middle of a war...

…the section with the illusive man on the station I thought was actually really well done and a nice conclusion to that section of the plot…

…but then it all went to shit after that.

Well did you get the extended ending dlc? It make the end right, and made me like it. But still i hate that wanna-be-dark thing thats all around thise days(specially), they think if they kill the main characters somehow they can achieve the same thing as Ernest Hemingway or Edger Allan Poe, and they even hurry to that part which it makes them overlook alot of things and it makes the type of game look cheep.

Yeah, I got the “extended ending”. Didnt really change my opinion tho.

I already covered the stupidity of normandy turning up when and how it did - new ending changed none of that.

The main problem with all 3 endings is that they are essentially identical and they all suck.

This sums it up fairly well: http://wwwthinkinginsidethebox.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/mass-effect-3s-ending-2.html although in many ways I think he’s too generous.

Well yes, mass effectg is great, untill right the end, what i hate a bit about that franchise is that they try to suck you dry. Espacially mass effect 2 with all dlc is around 2/3 longer adds valuable story (and the vehicle) and many important places to the game, but i dont want to even think about how much all of the dlc together have cost me.

Well lets go over the other games mentioned:

Pax britannica, looks fun, unfortunalty no network multiplaye, and singleplayer gets boring after some rounds.
Diablo 3, well it was a very very short timesink, i just dont get the diablo2 feeling, as all equipment i find is on purpose below my level, so i seel it and buy stuff from other players. Ironically I would say that Borderlands 2 is the better diablo clone. (but wont run on my laptop, so no go)

Well I also bought arma3 already (as it costs around half of full price when bought while alpha still), seems fun so far, but same as borderlands 2 i was only able to get it running with 800x600, wich makes you play half blind.

Shogun2 Total war, I even have this game but somehow fogottena bout it and never played ^^, but I assume for my laptop its to much as well, as the screenshots look to good.

The rest of the games I have not played yet, but dragon age looks promising and should probably run.

i agree that Mass Effect is awesome, and it have low requirements (between 1 and 3 differences in graphic are not so big). Also agree about game ending.

dont forget about bethesda games :wink: this games give days of fun.

also gothic 2 was nice and you are able to play it.
gothic 3 have identical graphic and it have 10x bigger requirements … also it is not playable, belive me.

if you cant play Shogun2, you can always play medieval 2. This is also a great game.

There are so many games, you juse need to choose one :slight_smile:

I think UFO: Enemy Unknown ( The original ) can be downloaded for free now. It was one of my favorites when I played it back in the previous millennium. It is probably not to be considered complex by todays standards.

These days I mainly play Minecraft. I had a short phase with Skyrim, but got tired of the really non-logical balancing of the game and an even shorter phase with the new version of Enemy Unknown.

I also played Gnomoria for a few weeks, which is an indie game that some people compare to Dwarven Fortress ( Though I cannot say, since I never played DF ).

@oxplay2 said: also gothic 2 was nice and you are able to play it. gothic 3 have identical graphic and it have 10x bigger requirements ...... also it is not playable, belive me.

Gothic 1 and 2 are really great games.
Gothic 3 had its downside at the start but it is nicely working now. If you have the same graphics like in gothic 2 you are dooing something wrong. But there is a very very very big difference between low details and high details.