(September 2014) Monthly WIP Screenshot Thread

Well, I guess it’s that time of the month to start a new “showcase what everybody is working on” monthly thread lol!..

Here’s my ongoing little project I started 5-6 months ago to learn how to use JME3 on my spare time. Last week, I’ve optimized shaders a little (not 100% done yet) and I’m now going towards slerping movements for networking and such starting from next week. The game auto-drives a HyperSQL server in the background and saves all props, pickup items, terrain and vegetation changes to tables in real time. HyperSQL caches everything in RAM until needed to write to disk, so it’s incredibly fast and yet very low RAM consuming. I have setup SEEDING parameters, so rocks, trees, terrain, everything is perfectly generated on all computers entering a simple keyword “seed” while starting the game.

To learn how VBO’s work, I have implemented a shovel feature so that the player can equalize (level) the terrain or lower/rise the terrain to their desire. The player can now also build stuff, I have implemented stairs, platforms, fences, walls and so forth. Free 3D OBJ models that actually look good without them being 100K vertices are hard to come by so what I have implemented is kind of limited still :stuck_out_tongue: More to come later! Thx for reading!

8 Likes

Nice Ben!
But don’t you dare put that frog in the fire…

3 Likes

It’s funny because, I forgot to actually post this screenshot! :stuck_out_tongue: Damn me, there you go! Medium cooked? Well cooked? CARBONIZED?

4 Likes

Sooo,

I decided to write my own blockengine.
-> Any form of block supported,
-> Blocks can be rotated (usefull for uneven ones as slopes)
-> Basically each triangle could use a own material
-> Mesh creation happens per material, so default jme material can be used with full features (eg parallax mapping)
-> All implementation stuff is done via interfaces, so the storage backend could be replaced with a database, a chunked text file based system or anything else.
-> Same for render and Low level data structures.

As soon as this is cleaned up enough, i will probably put it on github for everyone to use and help improve.

3 Likes

I haven’t had much time to work with school starting but I have been dedicating free time to getting my planet-wide erosion system working well…Right now a map is generated along with the heightmap (on the GPU) that looks at the biome, the elevation, and the slope and determines what “material” that point on the terrain should be. This is then used to erode it accordingly (ie. sandstone erodes more readily than granite)

Not much to really see but here is an early shot of it in action:

13 Likes

I’ve been playing around with (yet another) UI-centric animation system. This is my third or fourth attempt in the last three years. I don’t hate this one yet so it already stands much better than the previous versions where I always hated at least one thing almost immediately.

Anyway, if it pans out then this will become the animation system built into Lemur.

In the mean time, I used it to implement some screen transitions and a slide+fade credits effect. I shot a video and then decided to walk around a little in the dragonfly odyssey engine. So without further ado: menus + frog’s eye movement…

1 Like

Hmm sadly there’s not much a screenshot can show of a server.

We setup our new development environment.

• youtrack project management software
  • Migrated our Git and our Wiki
  • Migrated from JME SDK to IntelliJ IDEA

Hello monthly screenshot champs! Working on anything cool these days? Whether it’s the same thing as it was back when this thread started or something brand new, however big or small, please consider sharing it for the 2015 jMonkeyEngine showcase video:

Keep the WIPs coming!