(September 2017) Monthly WIP screenshot thread

That’s…an excellent point. Wow it should be a substantial improvement and super easy to add.

Thanks for the tip :smile:

Edit:

Hey it stabilized!
https://i.imgur.com/1ihJTqf.png
Thanks again @pspeed

This flooding idea actually kind of works. (still on binary buoyancy)

https://i.imgur.com/Yg9igBJ.gif

Tips like a fedora, sinks like a bee.

10/10 best evening project I’ve attempted in the past three years.

14 Likes

For our game we want grass, plants and trees to have a nice wind effect. So I started to learn about shaders a little.
Thanks to @8Keep123, he gave me a super hint on how to achieve that effect. Thank you again very much!
Here is the result.

21 Likes

Among the long list of changes to Spoxel lately… I finally got around to implementing a dye tub system. Pretty much anything in the game can be dyed with at least one if not two colors.

17 Likes

@glh3586 i’m dyeing to try it out. :wink:

2 Likes

I badly want to see some video of your game :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nice that you are so interested in the game, that means a lot to me :slight_smile:

I want the game to be finished in the next month(s). This will be my first “real” game, so please
don’t expect too much. However, I already learned a lot during the project and that’s very important to me as well :wink:

As soon as the game is in a state where I really can show some content, the whole community, will be the first one seeing that :kissing_heart:

3 Likes

Okay sorry for the spam guys, but this you have to see.

So, I implemented water flooding though voxels flagged by a mouse raycast like so:

And then decided to try and slap a ship model on top of it…

My water spread function isn’t great so all water pooled at the back. Gonna be an inverse titanic it seems.

It’s interesting how slow it went, inch by inch.

Nearly there…

Okay, lemme just alt-tab for a sec, fps spikes… WHOOOM

Open

Yeaaaaah I think this needs more work.

14 Likes

I dont think Leonardo DiCaprio could survive that

6 Likes

[spoiler] ******************************* [/spoiler]

Titanic 2
the twist

3 Likes

Awww. You taught your pet Titanic how to roll over!

1 Like

Since I have made asteroids to some success I needed a way to place them. I have made that way I think with a somewhat simple method of loading zones.

The idea being that you only load what is in the debug squares. Currently… nothing… Since I was just trying to get the loading part to work nicely. The cubes are only there as a debug shape and will be MUCH larger in the game I have in mind (Probably in nice 1km^3 pieces).

Each cube has a coordinate using doubles so there is not much fear of me running out of space (heh) anytime soon.

Note that the spaceship (green dot) doesn’t “move” but the space does around it. I yanked this idea from other topics on the forum but a BIG shout out to @normen for his infinite zoom universe demo. I started mucking with that and took some inspiration to make this.

Next is to populate the cubes with stuff and make the ship follow physics somewhat loosely with the stuff I learned from @normen, @zarch, @pspeed, and @wezrule from one of my oldest cries for help here: What is the proper way to apply thrust in the direction an object is facing? - #15 by thecyberbob

5 Likes

Side note if anyone has a better method for making gifs from mp4’s or screencaptures in general I’d love to hear it.

The method I used is apparently for ants.

Note: the paging library that the IsoSurfaceDemo uses support fully 3D spaces as well. It’s setup to help manage the loading (and unloading) of areas on separate threads, manage the scene graph interaction, etc…

It’s not super well documented but you can see it in action in the IsoSurfaceDemos. So there is at least an example.

Also note that SimEthereal uses a similar zone management system it’s just not (at this point) doing any background loading of objects/scenery.

2 Likes

Interesting. I may take a look into that since it probably handles what I want to do better.

New startup sequence!

11 Likes

Haha BMW e30 & Toyota Corolla AE86, i like your taste

1 Like

I’m glad that you like my game :slight_smile: Look here for more: CarGame - my game about cars

After making items, armor, and weapons dyeable I felt like I needed to take it a step further. So I implemented a paint brush powered by dyes and now you can’t paint blocks inside spoxel as well.

11 Likes

Playing around with the damage/hit system and got that nice chain reaction if nearby objects explodes. The small lag you see is a video recording issue rather than a real game issue.I hope you like it :slight_smile:

14 Likes