(September 2017) Monthly WIP screenshot thread

I’ve been having WAY too much fun with Maud, my animation editior.

I just uploaded a 15-minute demo video, in which I teach a guy to drink and dance (animation retargeting). I also cause Sinbad to taunt you like a monkey.

I still need alpha testers for Maud. I’ll upload a new release today or tomorrow and would welcome any constructive feedback on it. Watch for the forum announcement, then “take 'er for a spin”!

Edit: The new release is now available from GitHub: Release 2nd release for alpha testing (ALPHA+2) · stephengold/Maud · GitHub

18 Likes

@sgold Neat I’ll test it out when you do, though I only got gun turrets to try it out on.

Made another model:

Comparing it to reference images it looks like the hull is a bit too long. Guess the chinese guy designing the model eyeballed the length hah. Or based it on that unique 30m extended Seawolf.

8 Likes

It doesn’t look rendered by jME, what engine is that? :stuck_out_tongue:

Some call it Outside. It’s been in development for the last 14 billion years or so, which is just about the right amount of time to get such a good physics engine it has working mostly without bugs.

Not to mention the superb rendering VR PBR pipeline, which is optimized enough to draw even the most complex scenes at a few thousand fps on literally any hardware. :smile:

It’s essentially a fully voxel-based engine that doesn’t even use meshes but renders the voxels directly to pixels - which is enabled by having very small individual voxels. The chunking is unusually large however, which may lead to some bottlenecks when doing large open worlds.

While there are a few mesh-to-voxel plugins in beta development by the community, they still aren’t quite there yet. I’ll rather wait for a full release.

The core development team isn’t really working on the engine anymore though, so it’s pretty much closed source abandonware. :stuck_out_tongue:

P. S. If you’re gonna do anything with quickly rotating stuff, note that there’s an animation bug that still hasn’t been fixed.

16 Likes

Awesome :joy:

August was way too busy so I got delayed working on my asteroid stuff. Plus I had to attack the problem in a number of different ways which finally resulted in a nice pleasing distribution of vertices using Catmull Rom Interpolation.

Here it is before randomization:

And here it is after randomization of the control points:

So while the above looks pretty darned good but sometimes the randomization of the points results in… well… fins and spikes.

I plan on working on some constraints on the randomization to handle this. Tomorrow I hope to stitch this point cloud together so it’s a little more solid.

10 Likes

Started to work on a new plugin for SS Editor with Shader Nodes Editor :slight_smile:
Have decided how the layout will look like of this editor:

6 Likes

Continue working on shader node editor :slight_smile:

5 Likes

15 Likes

That is really neat @javasabr what library are you using for the visual node connections? The the GUI bendy lines that connect the boxes?

it’s pure JavaFX :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Made some progress with my multiplayer space shooter, I added a clock, score and the current active weapon on my HUD. The radar (those coloured triangles) I like best as it is a great help in battle :slight_smile:

We were too lazy to give us proper names, so we all are Zed :wink:

7 Likes

After 3 weeks of learning I can draw characters on any angle or pose! This is my first professional-ish attempt at drawing.

4 Likes

So if you got two things that go with each other separate and you glue them together, do you re-pair them?

16 Likes

/me slow claps at that pun.

Seriously though really love the effects you have going on this.

1 Like

So after some tinkering (seriously I just went from multiplying a normal by a random float value to just straight up adding it) I got rid of the pointy bits and fins. I also got to stitching the points together nicely.

During this I was having fun trying to calculate normals. Which didn’t go too well initially.

Then after a bunch more work I fixed all that annnnnd tah dah!

Next up is implementing LOD then placing all the asteroids via a noise function etc. I’m putting off procedural texturing for a bit. Want to get more into game play stuff for a bit.

14 Likes

Continue to work on shader nodes editor :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Working on my game is going good. The newest things are:

• grabbing tool, now you can grab things and replace them (white thing in first picture)
  • rework of car names, now it’s Car1.1, Car2.1 etc.
  • repainted some textures with better colors (I hope it looks better now)
  • and some cleaning in backround files :smiley:

I hope you like new colors :slight_smile:

10 Likes

You should try the SSAOFilter, I feel it would go great with the low poly/solid color asthetic.

3 Likes

It’s good idea, but bad result. When the cam are rotating around the car, shadow come to the part of car where cam is looking.
Edit: I personally like it without shadows now.
WIP Screenshot

3 Likes