Server Migration, Thursday May 30

Hello Monkeys,

Over the past 4 years I’ve had the pleasure of hosting the jME websites and build server through a couple of hardware rebuilds and relocations. Now, to meet the growing needs of the community, we are moving the websites over to a shiny new server in a real data center. The CPU is faster, we have double the RAM, and 6x the storage… Outbound bandwidth is also about 3x faster than what we’re able to achieve currently. Once the websites are moved, the current server will be repurposed to function exclusively as a build server so we can start cranking out native physics builds again without every web security patch mucking up the toolchain :slight_smile:

It’s bittersweet to see the project’s server costs go from $0/month to $65/month, but its exciting that there’s enough activity to warrant this move. In a few days we’ll go more into the details about how we’re going to cover these new costs for the foreseeable future, as well as beyond that.

This move will be accompanied by some restructuring. The site that has resided at jmonkeyengine.com will be moved into the root directory of jmonkeyengine.org. In turn, the community site currently residing on ORG, i.e. this site, will be moved to the new hub.hub.jmonkeyengine.org subdomain.

We’re making this change to avoid confusion and strengthen our branding.

Downtime will begin at 11AM EST and take approximately two hours

@erlend_sh && @sbook

5 Likes

I approve of this message.

1 Like

Good luck with the transition guys :slight_smile:

kewl, hopefully no more hurricane black outs :slight_smile:

Looks like the migration went mostly smoothly :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s great guys nice work!

Seems a lot faster already :smiley:

Relatively smooth cut-over. Good job!

Just in case you are collecting “things that still aren’t quite right yet”… here is a screen cap of the toolbar here.

Honestly, I don’t even remember what was there before… but it didn’t look right.

Re. the toolbar, I’ve noticed it always turns out like that whenever we move it over to our test site. Should have figured it would pull a strange one on us when we did this move.

Thing is, it’s pretty low priority because I think we should phase it out regardless. It’s an old plugin with some faulty code (obviously) and whatever utility it brings can be replicated in the native bbPress editor with custom buttons. We’ll need the help of @destroflyer and whoever else is PHP&JS savvy to help with small fixes and tweaks like that in the days to come.

@erlend_sh said: Re. the toolbar, I've noticed it always turns out like that whenever we move it over to our test site. Should have figured it would pull a strange one on us when we did this move.

Thing is, it’s pretty low priority because I think we should phase it out regardless. It’s an old plugin with some faulty code (obviously) and whatever utility it brings can be replicated in the native bbPress editor with custom buttons. We’ll need the help of @destroflyer and whoever else is PHP&JS savvy to help with small fixes and tweaks like that in the days to come.

re: a new tool bar… for me: the minimum functionality is the quick help, the code block, the image button, and the youtube button. The first three I use in 80% of my posts and would really miss them.

Woop. On the front page it say: Visit jmonkeyengine.org to experience our vibrant community and committed developers.

We are already on that page tho, so we get stack overflow when clicking it :frowning:

@wezrule said: Woop. On the front page it say: Visit jmonkeyengine.org to experience our vibrant community and committed developers.

We are already on that page tho, so we get stack overflow when clicking it :frowning:

Got those updated now :slight_smile:

There is a problem: t0neg0d gui wiki page is not working: “file not found”.
http://jmonkeyengine.org/wiki/doku.php/jme3:contributions:tonegodgui
due to the wrong link in the contributions page. And I guess, other contributions links are also wrong.

@luke1985 said: There is a problem: t0neg0d gui wiki page is not working: "file not found". http://jmonkeyengine.org/wiki/doku.php/jme3:contributions:tonegodgui due to the wrong link in the contributions page. And I guess, other contributions links are also wrong.

That’s strange, wiki links should all be redirecting to hub.jmonkeyengine.org/wiki… Will look into this.

For now, this is the page you want :slight_smile:

@luke1985, the wiki redirect for specific pages is fixed now… thanks for the report!

With the old (.com) domain removed the update to the SDK is failing. I have changed these so they point to the .org instead but it’s still failing.

Ex: http://jmonkeyengine.org/updates/nightly/3.0RC2/plugins/updates.xml

Anything else that needs to be addressed except for those 3 URLs? (nightly, stable and contribs)

PS: Would it be possible to have all times on the site be my local time and not some other timezone? Really annoying.

@sbook
No problem.
One suggestion: if it’s possible to maintain the original jmonkeyengine.org domain name on the new server - I think it would be a lot easier to maintain the site and services around it. There are many reasons… one of them is the google indexing - currently, almost all google searches on jmonkeyengine return 404. There may be also other external services connected to the website that may cause a lot of troubles.

Please take it into consideration.

@madjack said: With the old (.com) domain removed the update to the SDK is failing. I have changed these so they point to the .org instead but it's still failing.

Ex: http://jmonkeyengine.org/updates/nightly/3.0RC2/plugins/updates.xml

Anything else that needs to be addressed except for those 3 URLs? (nightly, stable and contribs)

That should be it. The redirect seems to work, and I just set up an explicit one for good measure. Can you provide more detail on what’s failing?

@madjack said:PS: Would it be possible to have all times on the site be my local time and not some other timezone? Really annoying.

Yeah it was nice having the server in New York, eh? That said, the update files are just static XML and generated by the build server. That should actually be in EST (but - and you’ll hate to sear this - should probably be set to CEST to match the server. The other, better, option is to just set everything to UTC I’d argue).

@luke1985 said: @sbook No problem. One suggestion: if it's possible to maintain the original jmonkeyengine.org domain name on the new server - I think it would be a lot easier to maintain the site and services around it. There are many reasons.. one of them is the google indexing - currently, almost all google searches on jmonkeyengine return 404. There may be also other external services connected to the website that may cause a lot of troubles.

Please take it into consideration.

What links are 404’ing for you? Any wiki or forum articles that come up in Google are getting redirected correctly for me… Javadocs needed the redirect, just got that set up.

Actually it was JavaDoc. So it’s fine right now :slight_smile:

uh i need nightly, but i get in http://www.jmonkeyengine.org/nightly/ File not found.