Shading: Turbulence

Hmmm - Best Name for the Post i could think of.

I have learned a lot last days about shading in JME.
The output looks quite okay now. It wasn’t that easy to learn on how to import the models correctly and do all that stuff, like anything, which is new to someones mind…
No prob about that.

I have a question on shading, or what i best could do and as i am a beginner: If you have leadful hints, keep in mind, that i have problems with tooo many technical terms, even if i am wanting to learn anything needed :wink:

The Model i know render is an import from lightwave.
The original file is looking this way:

My modle now looks quite the same, after i wrote Material Files and applied all the textures, i have - quite all, but enough to move on ! :wink: The colonial plate will take another review later.

That’s ok, i like that.
Lightwave now applies something, which looks to me like a noise - it calls itself turbulence:

The output of this is astonishing:

I know, i am inside an game engine, where things should go fast, but is there a possibility that is cheap enough on time to go mor into this output ?
Could i shade it with some extras, or should i just repaint my texture to look a little bit more like that ?
Which approach is given for someone wanting to do that ?

Well if you want to do something similar, the only way fast enough is probably shaders.
Or you could just try to export the map the other applications generates internal?

Yeah can’t you bake the texture with the noise applied in lightwave? That’d be the easiest way IMO.

We’ll see at about 7, if i can bake them out of lightwave :wink:
Never did that befor :wink:

since now i only bake out black paintings ^^

Hahaaaa … Turbulence …
It’s a calculation of procedural texture applied 3 times, or am i wrong ?
The rest is self explaining
40% opaticity generated with a color and a random value called small power

If it were me, I’d do this effect in a shader with a multisampled noise texture… but I know shader programming pretty well and have already done similar things before. :slight_smile:

i think i will look onto writing one, but i know, i have never done that before :wink:
But i will give it a try ! :wink:

Btw. It desn’t look that bad either ! :wink:
But shading it would really make sense :wink:

1 Like

The model looks nice… but I think the “mosaic” look of the texture is a bit intense. It’s hard to say if it’s even at the same scale as the lightwave model or if something else is going on… perhaps it was only meant to be used as input to the turbulence, for example. Intensity or whatever.

It’s the same scale. It just doesn’t apply that turbulence filter and another smokey filter which gives it a nice used look. There are just few differences in the triangles here and there.

Original Source
http://www.foundation3d.com/index.php?categoryid=38&p13_sectionid=338&p13_fileid=1475

Yeah, if I compare your two pictures that are of similar close-up orientation, I can faintly see all of the smaller shapes in the nice looking one. So those contrasting colors must be input into the turbulence so that you get subtle edges between different areas that are using different parts of the turbulence.

Why not bake the turbulence effect onto a texture?

1 Like

Personally, for me it would be the choice between:
-2 gig texture
-pixelated closeups
-smooth hotness at all detail levels.

…just depends on what you are going for, I guess.

The question is, is this “thing” going to be viewed from close up, from far away, or both? Using a 2 gig texture is clearly out of the question.

Well, considering the size of the thing… that first pic is pretty close.

you can fly inside :wink: obviously it’s a little bit … lame right now :wink:
but i have never modeled before !

here there is the first try :wink:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/s480x480/11058400_828085523940603_5420126878447104209_n.jpg?oh=8bf298a3017b3439ee86c07b12db1d7f&oe=557E75F0&__gda__=1434675118_7d0aa9de4aeeff552c1ea70dda0df93b

There’s another question i have.
I am still working on materials, which is a new field itself for me.
I have this pretty Viper MK II and want to attach diffuse textures as i did to battlestar hesperides and nother model, but something doesn’t work right now …any image attached will not be shown…
in blender everything looks fine:

but when i attach it to my material:

it doesn’t show anything:

This is related to any image …

oh i see. somehow he doesn’t scale correctly…
hmmmmmm

Just a note, the “Flip” checkbox for the texture should almost always be checked … 99.9% of textures will look wrong unless you click it.

(Maybe it should be checked by default for the material editor?)

No … That’s not the problem. I thought it might be an export problem, but somehow no image is painted onto my object …