Skullstone - a dungeon crawler game

Nice effect, but the dissolve shader effect is very fast in the gif. I could barely see it getting transparent. Maybe it’s better visible during game? I remember how Doom made it, that was a nice effect back then when I saw this for the first time… :chimpanzee_smile:

Yes, it is a bit faster than ingame.
The original file is ok, but after uploading to postimage.org it was speed up. JME’s forum corrupted the uploaded file.

http://s21.postimg.org/w3gdlxfhz/skullstone_komiks_2_part1.jpg

Do you want to see what happened next?
Visit our FB page: https://www.facebook.com/SkullstoneGame/

We are still alive :wink:

Since there is nothing new to see in the game, I was working mostly on combat mechanics, skills etc, lets see what our artists are doing:

11 Likes

You know this one from Monthly WIP screenshot thread, but I’m adding it for comparison purpose:

The improved version, beside that the golem have different size, we increased the quality of player’s light and added AO to our renderer.
AO is based on the solution from SSAO’s shader, but we replaced the small array of samples and coord2 with poisson disk taken from shadow renderer.

4 Likes

New video, this time it is blender render:

And new mob Sabre Crab and added some glow to torch fire:

7 Likes

I had always a feeling that something is wrong, something is missing…
Why no one told me that the anisotropic filtering is off by default? :smile:

Enabled it and I’m surprised, everything is so sharp…

13 Likes

Looking great! Polished GUI adds a lot to the overall feeling of quality.

Wow this is pretty awesome, I tried it on my project, I thought it was an issue with my texture or normals, it sharpen the texture brilliantly

Imgur

Thanks you @FrozenShade

4 Likes

Finally I made a nice looking dying effect.

We have here a special animation, shader level texture manipulation and a smoke made of particles. The last one is a bit tricky: model is animated on GPU, it means that on “Java side” it is all the time in starting pose, so using an EmitterMeshFaceShape gives bad effect.
The monster is dying, in few seconds he will be removed from scene, memory etc, so at this moment I can do some risky things with it.

SkeletonControl sc = mob.getControl(SkeletonControl.class);
    if (sc != null) 
    {
        sc.setHardwareSkinningPreferred(false);
        sc.update(0);
        sc.render(null, null);
    }

Now, on the “Java side” the mesh have proper form, like the last frame of dying animation, using that mesh in EmitterMeshFaceShape gives proper smoking effect.

8 Likes

We made a video with very early gameplay:

16 Likes

Very nice!

Great demonstration, for early game play, the death effect for monsters (sound and graphics) is very nice, but the monsters did not make me scare, their graphics is fine but I am not sure what is problem, I think their movement is a bit slow, or the distance between the them and player, or you need certain sound effect when you become near them, I am really not sure

EDIT : Also I like the idea of using light arrow to show up dark place(I assume it is limited), it make an interesting challenge between resources and risk taking.

It is hard to make a scary monster, we are all just too familiar with scary things in movies and games. Just look at top horror/thriller movies of 80s and 90s - today they are a bit boring. I loved “Friday the 13th” when I was young, some time ago I was trying to watch the series again. I stopped on part two…

So we just don’t try to scare the player, because we know that we can’t. Instead of that we just try to make an interesting game with decent graphics - I think that we can succeed at this point.

1 Like

May be I choose the wrong word, for scare, I do not mean jumpy scares, or even to make me afraid of opening my door, I mean the idea of feeling I am facing a danger, it even happen in super Mario Mushroom when it comes near you ( I am still eating mushroom Pasta ) :smile:

sure, it is very early to for me, to have any idea about your plans, and what u demonstrate looks very promising for sure :wink:, I am sure your team will going to provide an interesting experience.

1 Like

We will see when we release a demo. If players would make a savegame before opening every door then we will win :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe make the life bars and icons a lot bigger.
Add some blood drops falling from the portraits.
Maybe make a second portrait for “low life”.
(Something like that could make the feeling of danger more intense).

But I think as soon as some players start to see Skulls inside Stone rings - they will understand that they just brutally lost their whole group of characters… :chimpanzee_closedlaugh:

Reminds me of “Dungeon Master” on my Atari 1024 st. And it scared the shit out of me :wink: It looked pretty the same.
I think you realy have to play it not only watch it. And I also guess that the deeper you go the meaner and stronger the monsters become.
Keep the good work up.

I love Dungeon Master, I finished it a hundred times or more.
That was the idea, to make a game similar to DM, EoB and so on.

EoB came to my mind when I showed your game to my brother and that’s what he said: “good old 2D dungeon crawler” (think he liked it too).

1 Like