Sneak Peek of the next big jME3 addition

Since when is Flash dead ?.. It’s only for the mobile platforms it’s dead right ?

Even adobe moves to HTML5 now and seems to be desperate to find any application for their flash stuff:

Well it tend to die since HTML5 and CSS3 and getting more popular.

I wouldn’t bet on this horse…

Well if Flash is going to die as well on the Desktop platform, are there then any alternatives to http://www.mochimedia.com/ and similar websites, where you can distribute your game and earn a little money while doing it (as far as I know, they does only allow Flash games) ?

Nothing lasts forever but the certainty of change :slight_smile:

1 Like
nightmare2real said:
Well if Flash is going to die as well on the Desktop platform, are there then any alternatives to http://www.mochimedia.com/ and similar websites, where you can distribute your game and earn a little money while doing it (as far as I know, they does only allow Flash games) ?

store.apple.com? ;)
@jmaasing said:
store.apple.com? ;)

:D

Btw, I am doing all of this with the jME SDK and avian / XCode. Later I will make a SDK plugin that contains all the needed sources and libs (its probably gonna be huge as it needs the whole JDK7+sources) and add the legendary "checkbox" to the project settings :)

It will work very similar to the android deployment in that it will create an XCode sub-project where it copies the java classes from your project and compiles them to native iOS code that will be included in the XCode project. The XCode project is where you can do all iOS-specific customizations and even add JNI libraries to execute iOS Obj-C/C++/C code (in one file!), a small example JNI lib will be included. All of this is of course done via extensions of the build script so that after setting it up with the SDK you can use vanilla ANT or other IDEs to build the project.

As the base java libraries seem to work nicely, the next step from now would be obviously doing the renderer implementation, its not quite sure yet if we will use lwjgl's opengles wrapper or do a native OpenGLES renderer ourselves. Then the next step would be to integrate the bullet sources in the XCode project so that the native bullet library can work on iOS too. A "native" thing that I already got working is an "IosImageLoader" that uses native iOS API (UIImage) to decode images, similar to the AndroidImageLoader.

There might still be some large obstacles on our path but these results already impressed me a lot given my experiences with this kind of cross-compilation until now. I already played with GCJ, XMLVM, J2ObjC, older Avian versions and other things but this is really something. Add to that the Avian developer answered to my questions in less than a day and had one fix for Avian committed before I even checked the forum post again :D

I am quite confident this will be our path to iOS and that there will be few compromises to be made :)
2 Likes

I will give u $5 to build my projects on iOS <3 quick and easy cash

@wezrule said:
I will give u $5 to build my projects on iOS <3 quick and easy cash

Yeah...we know you get used to pay with iOS but dude...this is totally free...

Flash isn’t actually dead but they have refocused to video and gaming. It hasn’t just been 2d graphics for awhile now. The link below is the unreal engine in flash (and this was a year ago). Unity also provides a flash export option.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQiUP2Hd60Y

So yes, some of the relevance of Flash is past since css and html have caught up on the web but it still relevant in certain areas (IE games). Another interesting thing to consider is that you can export flash as iOS and Android applications. You could technically convert to action script and get iOS for free :stuck_out_tongue:

Disclaimer: I work for adobe and the views here are my own. I don’t work on flash at all, but I get pretty tired of the misinformation out there about it.

uh ok, we didn’t want to start a flame war, nor hurt your feelings…just saying what we read here and there on the web, but we might be in the wrong if you say so.

Anyway, there is no plan for a JME3 to Flash exporter right now.

Also i doubt converting a full blown java app to an action script flash app would be the easiest route to iOS and android apps…

The post was about JME on iOS for a starter.

@nehon said:
uh ok, we didn't want to start a flame war, nor hurt your feelings...just saying what we read here and there on the web, but we might be in the wrong if you say so.
Anyway, there is no plan for a JME3 to Flash exporter right now.
Also i doubt converting a full blown java app to an action script flash app would be the easiest route to iOS and android apps...
The post was about JME on iOS for a starter.

Didn't mean for it to come out that way, I apologize. I'm personally pretty excited about JME getting an iOS route and I don't think converting to action script is really the best solution :P
@glh3586 said:
Didn't mean for it to come out that way, I apologize. I'm personally pretty excited about JME getting an iOS route and I don't think converting to action script is really the best solution :P

I didn't mean to spread disinformation either, thats why I combined my admittedly slightly provocative post with a link to the actual statement. ;)

did you have a look at the converter provided by google (j2objc) ?

Congrats !

@soaring said:
did you have a look at the converter provided by google (j2objc) ?

Congrats !

As mentioned, yes.

oups !

It’s nice but I don’t want to buy a Mac :frowning:

@gouessej said:
It's nice but I don't want to buy a Mac :(

Then its no AppStore for you anyway :) If you somehow manage to jailbreak your phone you should be able to use this with the compiler of your choice though. I won't add this option in the build script though as it would involve support for an unsurmountable amount of build setups.

Edit: Else you can just code it, tell your client to download the jME SDK and deploy it with his Mac and Dev account ;)

Can I Hackintosh up, jailbreak an iPhone for testing, then pay my mate with an apple developer account to apply for a place in the appstore? (Just out of curiosity). Or alternatively just put it on cydia, if that stuffs still going, been a while since i broke my iPhone

1 Like
@javagame said:
Can I Hackintosh up, jailbreak an iPhone for testing, then pay my mate with an apple developer account to apply for a place in the appstore? (Just out of curiosity). Or alternatively just put it on cydia, if that stuffs still going, been a while since i broke my iPhone

If you have..

a) No mac and no developer account:
..you can create an iOS project and modify its settings and properties files and pass that to a mac/dev account owner.

b) A mac and no developer account:
..you can create an iOS project and build & run it on the emulator.

c) A mac and a developer account:
..you can create and iOS project and build & run it on your devices as well as publish it to the App Store.

In how far you can get XCode and application deployment to devices to work without a developer account, I'll have to direct you to :google: to find out about that :) But after the jME SDK has done what it has to do it is a "normal" XCode project, just like any other.