Sneak Peek of the next big jME3 addition

Alright, the ant build script for the SDK checkbox is getting along. I managed to downsize the needed OpenJDK classes and binaries to 74MB, precompiled for arm and i386. The build script takes your projects classes and the classes from OpenJDK, runs them through proguard to downsize and then creates the needed .o object files which can then be referenced in the XCode project.

The only disadvantage is that I have to compile and update the classpath/binary files of the plugin from time to time but that could also be beneficial as some JDK updates already broke avian compilation.

…so it seems you’ll be able to deploy iOS applications before there even is a renderer for that platform :wink:

Edit: Due to the fact that only a part of our users will be able to use this, I thought about making this an optional plugin, whaddy’all think?

Another option is to keep the checkbox, make it slighty larger and lighter than the other ones so it looks tasty, then set it disabled for all loo… I mean non mac users :stuck_out_tongue:

I guess a plugin would be fine, but if it’s not that much of a extra download size I would like to see it in there by default.

@kwando said:
I guess a plugin would be fine, but if it's not that much of a extra download size I would like to see it in there by default.

I agree... as long as its not a massive download I think it would be really cool to be able to just tick a few boxes and build for loads of platforms from the IDE.

You can bet solid iPhone and Android support is going to lead to a lot of community growth and drive development on jme in future so its a big win if it all works out of the box.

Well, I think isn’t the size around 70MB? If that’s the case, keeping as a plugin sounds a better idea.

Yeah, its 70-80MB and it only really works on macs. Of course I could again split the actual compile and project part into separate plugins so that the checkbox would be there (to create and configure the project) but the actual compiling only works when the other plugin is installed and its a mac. That might get a bit unhandy though maintenance-wise.

@normen said:
Then its no AppStore for you anyway :) If you somehow manage to jailbreak your phone you should be able to use this with the compiler of your choice though. I won't add this option in the build script though as it would involve support for an unsurmountable amount of build setups.

Edit: Else you can just code it, tell your client to download the jME SDK and deploy it with his Mac and Dev account ;)

Actually, I'm a bit interested in Magenta OS, Cydia and OpenAppMkt.
@gouessej said:
Actually, I'm a bit interested in Magenta OS, Cydia and OpenAppMkt.

Really, nobody has got a jailbroken phone. Except some idealist hermits ;) It just doesn't make sense.

Having said that, you can use the jME/SDK way to build native iOS .o files for any build system. The jme project basically just creates those native libs from your java code and lets the XCode project access them via a list file. You can use those with any build system, you don't have to use XCode and that project. But ofc with XCode and a dev account you have apple wiping your ass on every corner :)