[SOLVED] LookAt() function?

Is there any kind of LookAt() function for JME? Like if I wanted an eyeball to look at someone. Is there any way to do this?

Yeah, nodes have this. node.lookAt();

Yes, here is one, there are others.

http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/javadoc/com/jme3/math/Quaternion.html#lookAt(com.jme3.math.Vector3f, com.jme3.math.Vector3f)

Yes…

The function called lookAt springs to mind…

:facepalm:

I… The… sigh

Before posting stuff like that, aren’t you at least curious what the search box might have to say about this? Maybe! There could be a code snippet posted by someone containing this… It might be a long stretch, right? But, you know, anything is possible, huh?. gasp

I would BET there are HUNDREDS of posts having lookAt in it. And I’m not even trying to exaggerate here. HUNDREDS.

I’ll just shut up before I go into full-rage mode. -.-

This is exactly why the internet is the pile of refuse (mostly) it is now. Searching is WAYYYYYYYY too hard.

“Spoonfeed ME! I DEMAND IT!”, yelled the site X noob.

registered for 1 day with 5 thread posts. Perhaps time to read the tutorials? :slight_smile:

1 Like

No need to get mad “madjack”. I guess I just didn’t do enough searching, sorry. I found this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgGbZP1g-Ec

And wezrule, Sorry :smiley: I ask alot of questions…

thats fine, the tutorials shouldn’t be under estimated tho, they are extremely well written, and will teach you almost all you need to do, the rest it done through experience and trying different things.

I suggest going through all the math for dummies/scenegraph for dummies, and beginner tutorials a few times, then pick a few advanced topics. Play around with it for a few weeks, and if still struggling then u can ask questions :slight_smile:

https://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/legacy/doku.php/jme3#tutorials_for_beginners

1 Like

Alright! :slight_smile:

Heheh… formulates a whole question and posts it instead of just typing “lookAt” in here:

You need to learn to cut corners, I think, or you will never get anywhere. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve learned something from this…

1: Never post a question about something unless you’re 100% you’ve searched everywhere and can’t find the answer.

And 2: People can be mean. 8O

@crimsonkomodo777 said:
No need to get mad "madjack". I guess I just didn't do enough searching, sorry.

Quick lesson here, bear with me and read please:
There are many things a user can do when they join a community (like here for example). One is to act like you did and post a question for every little thing and expect people to answer, effectively being spoonfed. You will get your answer, eventually, but...

You'll get a reputation of being a lazy ass member and will get down thumbed. You might go and say "Bah, I don't care about that number. It means nothing." Maybe it doesn't mean anything to you, but it does mean something to many of those that take the time to answer questions. It tells us that the individual doesn't listen, is rude, doesn't use the search, continuously argues for no reason, etc. A user might get down voted for one or all of those once or multiple times by one and/or multiple people.

In the end, people will just ignore your questions, which might be very valid and insightful for others, but nobody will care and everything you post might be dismissed.

Since you're here you probably want to make a game or something and judging by that last question, your experience is scant. In other words, you will need help. Lots of it. So, don't shoot yourself in the foot (or in the head).

Do yourself and everyone else a favor. Do your homework.

And btw, there is nothing wrong with posting questions, heck I even do it sometimes, but if you have done your homework and searched and did try stuff and couldn't find the answer, at least explain what you tried, where you looked and what you looked for. In the end it still might be a simple thing, but people in here will know that you, at least, tried.

Oh and I know some lazy idiot might read this and think: "I'll just feed them whatever that I've searched and I'll get my answer the easy way! Ha!" Yeah. Don't try this. We're not dumb. Retaliation will be ego crushing. And OP, I'm not pointing a finger in your direction at all. Just putting this as an afterthought. :)
2 Likes
@crimsonkomodo777 said:
I've learned something from this...

1: Never post a question about something unless you're 100% you've searched everywhere and can't find the answer.

And 2: People can be mean. 8O

1 - This new knowledge is applicable everywhere. Not just here. As in Real Life and it is on the Interwebs.
2 - If you judge meanness to the answers you got here, you're in for a big surprise when you'll get to the unfriendly zone of the 'net. I wouldn't want to be you. :P
3 Likes

The How to Get Answers Please Read This article in the bit to the right is well worth your time to read :slight_smile:

And don’t worry, everyone starts somewhere…

1 Like
@madjack said:
Quick lesson here, bear with me and read please:
There are many things a user can do when they join a community (like here for example). One is to act like you did and post a question for every little thing and expect people to answer, effectively being spoonfed. You will get your answer, eventually, but...

You'll get a reputation of being a lazy ass member and will get down thumbed. You might go and say "Bah, I don't care about that number. It means nothing." Maybe it doesn't mean anything to you, but it does mean something to many of those that take the time to answer questions. It tells us that the individual doesn't listen, is rude, doesn't use the search, continuously argues for no reason, etc. A user might get down voted for one or all of those once or multiple times by one and/or multiple people.

In the end, people will just ignore your questions, which might be very valid and insightful for others, but nobody will care and everything you post might be dismissed.

Since you're here you probably want to make a game or something and judging by that last question, your experience is scant. In other words, you will need help. Lots of it. So, don't shoot yourself in the foot (or in the head).

Do yourself and everyone else a favor. Do your homework.

And btw, there is nothing wrong with posting questions, heck I even do it sometimes, but if you have done your homework and searched and did try stuff and couldn't find the answer, at least explain what you tried, where you looked and what you looked for. In the end it still might be a simple thing, but people in here will know that you, at least, tried.

Oh and I know some lazy idiot might read this and think: "I'll just feed them whatever that I've searched and I'll get my answer the easy way! Ha!" Yeah. Don't try this. We're not dumb. Retaliation will be ego crushing. And OP, I'm not pointing a finger in your direction at all. Just putting this as an afterthought. :)

Thank you for posting this. I will try to "do my homework" as you say, before I post any topic like this. :)
1 Like