Stardust

Well i keep working on this from time to time, but i don't get very far.
      If anyone would like to help and make a small fun space game out of this, that would be cool.

What i have now: (I try to keep things simple and generally applicable.)

• a simple FengGUI Menu with a few buttons to start/leave the game and adjust settings

• physic based entities (the player, enemies, power up's, basically any object)

• Entities have a health and damage part

• physic based collision events

• entities damage each other when they collide,
            (a 'power up' entity deals negative damage)

• physic based player movement

• a player can:

[li]target other entities
        • fire Bullets (keeps its direction)

• fire Homing Missiles (chases the target), a missile cam (texture renderer) shows the missiles perspective

[/li]
      • simple sound and particle effects when stuff explodes

what i would like:

• a small arcade like game which shows how one could structure a (space-)game with jME

i guess a well structured game wouldn't depend on a Engine, but you get the Idea.
      • improved movement, gui, ai, make the game actually fun

• create small levels with a defined goal to achive

• i'm afraid i am a bit out of ideas

So again if anyone would like to help and make something usable out of this, that would be cool :)
      Leave me a message here or in icq, or maybe on irc.

You could really have something here actually. The general feel of play is pretty well done. You feel rather free instead of restricted like most flight simulator games and such. This could be a lot of fun! I hope to see it further advanced. Wish I could help but im an extreme novice right now. Just getting my feet wet.

would it be possible to put the source in one zip-file for download?

I didn't manage to get it via svn.

Thanks in advance

J

i think this svn address should work:

svn://www.core-dump.ch/srv/svn/stardust/trunk

edit:

new located at jme-demos:

http://jme-demos.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/stardust

i’ll move it into the jme-demos svn repository, once its in a presentable state :slight_smile:

the .project file is checked in too, so you can import it as a eclipse project.

rvanrijn said:

For some reason I cannot get the sources from SVN:
    RA layer request failed

ok its located at jme-demos for easier access now:
http://jme-demos.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/stardust

it dosen't matter if you are new to jME, this is a good chance to get to know jME :slight_smile:

just a bit OOP experience would be good, to structure the mess a bit better

Core-Dump said:

it dosen't matter if you are new to jME, this is a good chance to get to know jME :)
just a bit OOP experience would be good, to structure the mess a bit better

I'll pick up the source when I'm home and see if I can help you out with the OO part. That will give me the chance to learn a bit more about jME  :D

Hey I just tried this today, very cool. Here's some suggestions:

• Use different ship models (see my spacegame demo for one)

• Place some flagship kind of thing to fly around (see my spacegame demo for one..)

• Stereo rendering would be much cooler in this game than mine (see my spacegame and jmecontext system for how)

• Fix those odd white things on the planet (use the code from my demo directly, seems like a renderpass issue)

• Make the bullets look like lazers or something.. Right now they are just monotone circles which is a bit weird IMO

• Better explosion effects

• Thrust effect for ships (see my Blender3D attachment export script for marking which parts of the ship are thrusters)

• Some kind of targeting system

• Radar

That's it for now, I'll try to think of some more..
I would gladly help you but like I said I already have my hands full.

Oh and hi there rvanrijn! I didn't know you were on jME's forums lol.

Hi Momoko_Fan,

is it possible to get the code of your space game / demo, also?

That would be great.

Thanks,

J

there are some good advices momoko.

about the odd white things, if you look at anykeyh’s original version of the planet generator they are there too, but less visible.

But the atmosphere/planet shader is slowing down, things too much anyway and need to be optimized or simplified.

For some reason I cannot get the sources from SVN:

RA layer request failed

svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/bugs/browser/trunk'

svn: PROPFIND of '/bugs/browser/trunk': 200 Ok (http://www.stardust.ch)

about the odd white things, if you look at anykeyh's original version of the planet generator they are there too, but less visible.

Huh?  :? I just tried it, it looks perfect, and it doesn't show at my spacegame either. Seems like your setup is wrong. :|

But the atmosphere/planet shader is slowing down, things too much anyway and need to be optimized or simplified.

I think you should add an option in config whether to use it or not instead.

is it possible to get the code of your space game / demo, also?

You can download it, it's 32mb: http://www.radakan.org/paopao/SpaceGame.zip
Though it's not really functional beyond being able to fly here and there.

Thank you, that was fast!

hmm someone else had the same problem, i think its either FengGUI or the shader which makes problems.

What kind of graphiccard and OS do you have?

One TODO on the list, is a properties dialog where you can enable / disable the shader and some other properties,

Hi Core-Dump!

I tried your project. However, when I try to play game (click the button "Play Game"), I get a following exception:

org.lwjgl.opengl.OpenGLException: Invalid operation (1282)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Util.checkGLError(Util.java:50)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.swapBuffers(Display.java:606)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.update(Display.java:625)

at com.jme.renderer.lwjgl.LWJGLRenderer.displayBackBuffer(LWJGLRenderer.java:517)

at com.jmex.game.StandardGame.run(StandardGame.java:200)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Could you give me any idea to fix that problem?

Thanks a bunch!

Core-Dump said:

hmm someone else had the same problem, i think its either FengGUI or the shader which makes problems.

What kind of graphiccard and OS do you have?
One TODO on the list, is a properties dialog where you can enable / disable the shader and some other properties,

Hi Core-Dump,

I'm using the following:
+ Graphic Card : NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GS
+ OS : Windows XP

I see that you run the entire game in a large try/catch block. As I remember, HotSpot cannot inline methods that are being try/catched, so wouldn't this slow down your game?

i wasn't aware of that.

i did it to catch any Exceptions and shutdown the OpenGL thread properly (StandardGame.finish())

without the try / catch block i often had still a thread running in the background after some exception was thrown.

stardust does have quite a few performance problems currently, but i don't have any spare time to work on it right now :frowning:

its not in a very stable state right now, so i'm open to any improvements :slight_smile:

I think it's better to use an UncaughtExceptionHandler for a thread to catch those exceptions… I am also currently running my game inside a try/catch block.

then hurry and update to java 6 :)  i think its available now