Summer Beta Game Contest?

I messaged a dev a few days ago but haven’t heard anything since. Does jME plan to do another beta game competition? The last one ran very successfully (started in November 2011) and I can only assume the next one will be even better. I would run it, but i actually want to compete it in :slight_smile:

and to the jME members, out of interest who would compete in a 1 month competition in the summer? just to give the jME devs ideas about the popularity, thanks

Its a lot of work and I feel the last competition, as good as it went and as good as the contributions were, lacked a bit of planning. I wouldn’t want to leave too many people with stale feelings about these contests. Nevertheless with some planning beforehand and some time tables a summer competition could be a nice idea but I guess we’d have to judge by the state of the engine and surroundings (e.g. the book…?) if it makes sense or not.

oops… I guess I forgot to hit “send” :slight_smile: I typed out a response when you sent it…

We liked how many entries we had for the first competition, there was quite a bit of overhead to running it in terms of time though… Judging, writing reviews, cumulating results, coordinating between judges in different timezones, etc presented challenges.

Now then, is there interest in another game competition?

@normen said:Nevertheless with some planning beforehand and some time tables a summer competition could be a nice idea but I guess we'd have to judge by the state of the engine and surroundings (e.g. the book..?) if it makes sense or not.

It was nice that there was an "excuse" to do the competition the last time around.. It was quite hastily put together, the next one would need a bit more planning and some rules clarifications
@sbook said:
oops... I guess I forgot to hit "send" :) I typed out a response when you sent it..

thats cool :), i can probably help you put it together, but I would also like to compete :P, not sure I'm allowed to do both?
@wezrule2 said:
thats cool :), i can probably help you put it together, but I would also like to compete :P, not sure I'm allowed to do both?

Well if you don't do judge but only help with stuff why not?

sure, ill gladly help then, perhaps we should do a “team event” to spice things up, if we get sufficient interest :), that way we can turn out some awesome stuff, and hopefully teach each other more about jME

@jMEMembers what do you guys think?

1 Like

Hell yeah,

I am always in for a game contest.

When I participate in such events I normally get a lot more dedicated to complete stuff.

This can be a good idea.

So yes it will be nice.

I think we should save it a bit more and then put all effort into an larger competition starting a in November, like a annual thing :slight_smile:

That way we have plenty of time to build up a hype and maybe fix some good sponsors!

I think it would be good for the community if we could arrange a larger competition, with decent prizes, which will attract more talented people to this community :slight_smile:

I started my exams today, and have until 24th May, so for now I can’t be of much use. However, I would gladly help in the organisation, judging and reviewing just like last time, but only if you all agree.

Count me in this thing, but not as a competitor, I’m too slow a coder for that. It’s more that I hate competing, but hey, I’m slow too. :wink:

Anyway, I’ll be part of the organization, judging, rules, etc, if you guys have a spot.

ok me, memonick and madjack and whichever dev/core member is available will organise it :slight_smile:

Could i possibly get a @hub.jmonkeyengine.org email account so i can message companies for sponsoring computer equipment? thanks

I’d definitely be interested to help organize another contest now that my studies are over. I’d also like to consider partnering up with the LWJGL community on this one.

As for the timeline, I think it would be best if we aligned it with the jME3 roadmap somehow. Will have to discuss with the team.

I agree with @erlend_sh

Before begging for gifts and whatnot, let’s build up a team of people to organize the contest. Then we can come up with a options and move from there.

sounds good!, i don’t think there is any rush to get this out, so sufficient planning should be possible

As for prizes:

I think contacting companies (graphics card suppliers? like Nvidia and ATI) would be a good shout. A small starcraft site i belong to was able to get an Nvidia graphics card as a prize to sponsor a small weekly tournament, and jME with its status should have no problem getting computer equipment in exchange for some advertising. You can show them that the first game contest was a success with little planning, and it will only get better :slight_smile:

edit: ninjaed by madjack once again, making my post look sh*tty :frowning: