Tell us of your jME projects - real and imaginary

Would be great to get a feel for what kind of games / programs people here are working on. It does not have to offer any kind of practical results, but would probably satisfy curiosity. Though - if it really turns out that several people are working on very similar projects, maybe this thread would serve the purpose of helping them find each-other.

It does not have to be a project you have already completed, does not have to be well on the way - it can be the 'big project' that you plan to start writing 'one of these days'… the one for which you are learning jME for.

What do you and will you do with jME?

Well, I am in the process of writing a space-strategy game to the likes of Master of Orion, Space Empires etc.

Still in the very beginning, mostly learning jME bits by bits according to what I need in my game. Basically it is open-cource and anyone can get it from google code - eventually I hope to get some friend of mine to help out with it and maybe draw in an artist or two. But if that does not happen, it's still all good and I will do it all myself … even better, the project will last longer :slight_smile:

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/jmeforum/index.php?topic=6477

My pet project. But I don't have much time to continue it these days :frowning:

hevee said:

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/jmeforum/index.php?topic=6477
My pet project. But I don't have much time to continue it these days :(

Too bad! Really hope you will find time! I find your project one of the most anticipated projects! :)
Mindgamer said:

Well, I am in the process of writing a space-strategy game to the likes of Master of Orion, Space Empires etc.

"Same" here... ok of course not really the same but something similar. ^^

For now i'm playing a bit with an RTS part and will using the nice "Input handler for strategy games".

Just to be different…

Trying (_very slowly) to make a fun marble puzzle game.

Inspired by Oxyd http://www.oxyd-game.com/ (_original)

It has 3 levels, level code display & entry…

simple uncoloured switches, boxy graphics, and difficulties with friction & inertia (angular)

I want to make it a little more… interesting (eg - casual play), but I _DON’T want to play games like monkeyball, because I would like to come up with a different feel… and once you see something done one way, it becomes the way to do it

And not jme related… a small website to post up projects…

and a ‘utilities’, including a classloader that will find native libraries (no more ode load library errors)… easier than setting it all up.

and… of course… when all is said and done, who DOESN’T want to do an ORPG… but with physics… and procedural terrain… and… and…

well I've been "playing" jme and java for a number of years…not seriously until a few month ago, when I decided that I've been toying with this for so long, that it might actually be worth throwing a bit more than the "half arse" I have been willing/able(tax is my day job and the comute to/from is nothing short of crazy). To motivate myself I decided to spend loads of cash I can't afford to waste and enrolled in computing diploma, java is the first thing on the course.

I started a third person shooter game and I'm putting it together slow… real slow, but I am finally investing more than half the "arse" I used to, still not ready to use the whole thing just yet

I

I'm working with a group of 3 others to make a asteroids-style game designed for joystick control.  As many joysticks as you have connected to the computer can play at the same time (we get pissed off that there are so many 2player-4player games on consoles when we often have 5+ people over to play).  There are several weapon types and power-ups and the goal of the game is similar to deathmatch in a normal FPS.  The default mode is that you get bigger and heavier as you kill players, making it harder to accelerate, somewhat auto-balancing the skill of the players.  Controls work similar to geometry wars where one analog stick controls movement and the other controls your weapon.

Its a pretty simple game and we are learning JME as we go.  Its been a fun time overall.  I'll have some info up on the game eventually, but we want to polish it up a bit before we release much on it.

I'm working on an MMO, just in the beginning code stages currently, but I've been writing down concept notes for years.  If I were to compare it to WoW the controls and some overall themes would be similar, but the gameplay mechanics and strategy are pretty different from current MMOs - the mechanics lean more toward EVE, but there aren't any space elements.  Right now I have three people working on it with me, and it's coming along on schedule at the moment.  (I work on it a few days a week, depending on my free time)

The first thing I wrote was a jME version of a Rock Band clone - drums only.  I had already written it in Java2D so the conversion was my introduction to jME.  2000fps is a lot better than 40fps.  :P  It works by providing both a midi and mp3 of the same song.  A separate utility I created analyzes the percussion channel of the MIDI file and maps the notes accordingly.  It doesn't work as well as I would like simply because games like that usually have multiple channels of the instrumentals and therefore all of my sounds kind of overlap with the mp3 track.  If you play loud enough it sounds great, though.  Other problems are some MIDI files just aren't accurate conversions.  The proof of concept is all there though, hehe.  I've also worked out a drum solo function, where you can record your hits and then play them back.  I have pretty much stopped working on it and launch it up now and then to just freestyle when I'm bored.  :stuck_out_tongue:

But now I'm working on an RTS and converting all my previous SimpleGame work to StandardGame.  Trying to figure out a unique way to implement fog of war.  The idea behind the RTS is rather silly:  Sandbox Wars is the name.  The entire game takes place inside a sandbox.  The map, thus far, is littered with toys, shovels, and other things you might find in a sandbox.  I chose the name sandbox because a sandbox in software development is a testing ground of sorts that protects real data.  So, hehe, I decided to make the races in the game all major computer hardware competitors.  So races would include AMD, Intel, nVidia, ATI, etc…  So it is also a proving ground as well for all of the fanboys out there.  :)  Who knows, it might turn out to be an alright game!

Alternative input/control GUI (primarily Strategy input handler at this time) for OneSAF.  OneSAF is a next generation entity-based computer generated forces simulation for the Army and used by other services branches too.  Check out www.onesaf.net which has limited public information, but check out:

http://www.onesaf.net/community/documents/Papers_Presentations/Published/IITSEC05_1977_ThreeBlockWar.pdf

and

http://www.onesaf.net/community/documents/Papers_Presentations/General/OneSAF04_Large_Common_Brief.pdf

for more descriptive information.

One of our requirements is to make the 3d view composable.  We've broken our 'game' out into separate virtual management interfaces (terrain, battle space objects, warfare interactions, atmospheric, input, hud, etc.).  The game depends on the virtual components.  We can then create an implementation of the interfaces and link them to the virtual interfaces using the system composer (page 30 of the Large Common Brief).  This allows us to create different applications by linking in different input or hud managers.  For instance, right now we're working on a strategy handler to control the entities by executing behaviors/missions.  This corresponds to using a specific HUD, but in the future we may choose to have a separate application that uses a first person hud and first person input so you can take control over entities in the simulation and rock out in a 30,000+ entity Battlefield 2 style game :slight_smile:

-J

Wow, really interesting and different projects. Keep them coming :slight_smile:

http://www.radakan.org/

"Radakan is a single-player RPG in a dark dynamic setting, driven by a freedom-of-choice environment, with a focus on true role-playing instead of combat."

Already have been active for two years, recently progress in the programming department soared after a switch to using jME.

Thread: http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/jmeforum/index.php?topic=7434.0

Momoko_Fan said:

http://www.radakan.org/

"Radakan is a single-player RPG in a dark dynamic setting, driven by a freedom-of-choice environment, with a focus on true role-playing instead of combat."

Already have been active for two years, recently progress in the programming department soared after a switch to using jME.
Thread: http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/jmeforum/index.php?topic=7434.0
What he said... (I'm PR Director of Radakan)

Hey Momoko, you forgot to mention that we've also got a pretty nice 'Development Blog' on our forum, for tracking the latest development. What you see there is just after a couple of days work! (Although, with the help of Momoko's previously made tools of course).

@jME Staff: Are you guys planning on launching a proper projects portal? I mean, something similar to Ohloh and Joomla!'s extension directory?

If you are, then I'd be more than happy to share some constructive ideas about how to best go about doing this.
Sadr said:

@jME Staff: Are you guys planning on launching a proper projects portal? I mean, something similar to Ohloh and Joomla!'s extension directory?

That would certainly be something useful and interesting.  I'm not sure if we have the organization to do it though...

I did some preliminary work on a system similar to Steam that would allow free games written in Java to be released and browsed with it.  The idea would be primarily for marketing of games that might otherwise not receive as much visibility.  Since I don't ever have any free time anymore I sort of abandoned it for now.

There is game gardens supported by three rings, they maybe worth a try

Back on topic:  :wink:

I have been involved in a couple of projects: http://monkeyworld3d.com/news.php MonkeyWorld3D is the most recent one, but due to ridiculously stiff conditions imposed by a PhD program, I don’t currently have the time to go back to it :cry:

I also attempted joining a group of people who tried to resurrect a well known classic RPG and developed a simple demo (like the one Momoko_Fan showed), but the project is sort of secret and I cannot say more… Also, the community is quite disbanded right now :cry:

And I am also into creating the ultimate RPG (non MMO), but have been for the last 10 years, and I don’t think I will ever have the time to actually finish it… (I went from Basic to C++ to Java 2D to Java3D to jME  )

From what I have read and seen, my work pales in comparison. I have developed a simple first person shooter as part of my final year project where the player navigates a pre-modelled map killing all the bots, patrolling at various areas, in its way and gets to the flag. As this was my first experience with practical programming in 3D and gaming, it is very simple and has possibility of lots of extensions and improvements. 

I have compiled it as jars if anyone wants to tear it to pieces??

Dev