The new nVidia 680

Yeah, after the first year you can say Bye bye to any AAA games at full graphics if you go with mid range.

If you want to make a good buy get the previous year’s high end. Should be about half the price and that’ll put things good for about a year, maybe two.

Or better yet, get the latest and you can be good for close to 4 years. But, it’s pricey…

Man I am so happy, I buy a computer about every 1-2 years and a console every 4-5 years :stuck_out_tongue: Macs are soooo expensive xD

@normen said:
Man I am so happy, I buy a computer about every 1-2 years and a console every 4-5 years :P Macs are soooo expensive xD

Hey, we don't all earn over 100k per year you know. :P
@madjack said:
Hey, we don't all earn over 100k per year you know. :P

Lol, how should I earn that kind of money when I'm wasting all my time with you gits here? ;)
@normen said:
Lol, how should I earn that kind of money when I'm wasting all my time with you gits here? ;)

Just admit it. You like us too much to work. Hence you're here because you want to, not because of us. :P

yh normen loves helping us retards :slight_smile: normen <3

@madjack said:Or better yet, get the latest and you can be good for close to 4 years. But, it's pricey...

Every time I tell myself I'm going to do that I end up saying "but the new cards are more power efficient and I don't want to push the 12V rails of my power supply!"
@sbook said:
Every time I tell myself I'm going to do that I end up saying "but the new cards are more power efficient and I don't want to push the 12V rails of my power supply!"

Bah, just overclock your power supply. ;) lol

Honestly, if you stop yourself from upgrading because of that, you won't ever upgrade. :)
@EmpirePhoenix said:
Also:
If item is new start witha high price and drop slowly, so you can get the maximum amount from the people who are willing to buy expensive, before earning the rest.

However for computer Graficcards you usually are better of with a medim grade 150€-200€ and just buy another one in two years
-> Same amount of cash used,
-> After two years you are faster than the old highendmodel
-> You always has a card you can play everyting on max with.

$200 is also my graphics card sweet spot. You will have a great card that will be great for the longest amount of time relative to price.

There use to be a day (back when I was hitting the computer shows every six months) where we calculated this out on the price versus performance curve. If price is vertical and performance is horizontal, it usually it looks a little like a shifted tangent curve... often with a really flat middle. As performance goes down, price approaches 0. As performance goes up price approaches infinity.

The interesting thing is that this curve moves right through time... so things that were at the top of the high price find their way through the flat slope and ultimately fall off the low curve.

If you can buy right at the point the curve starts to trend up again then you get the best and longest lasting performance per $$$. You get to surf the curve the longest for the least amount... before falling into the abyss with EVGA cards and Monser3D voodoo cards. :)
@pspeed said:You get to surf the curve the longest for the least amount...

LOL

I like that phrase :) I haven't seen any of the mid-range cards come out for this generation yet. It'll be interesting to see what chip revisions start to pop up in the next 6 months.

From the reviews I’ve read, the AMD 7970 is better in almost every aspect to the NVidia 680… It’s also cheaper.

Personaly I never liked AMD drivers, but heh. ^.^

@ozonegrif said:
From the reviews I've read, the AMD 7970 is better in almost every aspect to the NVidia 680... It's also cheaper.

It will be a while before AMD has fully eradicated the ATI stench that put them on my personal "product ban" list more than a decade ago.

So the fact that it's nVidia is a huge discriminator for me. Plus, it always feels like nVidia is better on more than just benchmarks.
@ozonegrif said:
From the reviews I've read, the AMD 7970 is better in almost every aspect to the NVidia 680... It's also cheaper.

The tests I read say the GTX 680 is ~10% faster. I'm planning to buy myself one in the near future. The reasons:
- My GTX 275 becomes too slow
- I'd like to have a tesselation capable GPU
- I like how fast MediaCoder encodes with CUDA (doesn't support OpenCL and CUDA for AMD is not yet available if ever)
- If buying now, it should be DirectX 11.1 / SM 5.1 to be prepared for Windows 8
@survivor said:
- I like how fast MediaCoder encodes with CUDA (doesn't support OpenCL and CUDA for AMD is not yet available if ever)

I'm not sure that the 680 is ~10% faster, but it doesn't matter. Just be carefull if you like CUDA because the 680 has been built mainly for gaming, Its computation capabilities has been highly reduced because of an architecture change.

More about this on AnandTech
1 Like

all this fuss to play console ports…sigh

@mcbeth said:
all this fuss to play console ports...sigh

Weird. Never played a console port, personally.
@mcbeth said:
all this fuss to play console ports...sigh

If you play console ports, then you're not a real PC gamer. :P

You guys are just jealous that we’re paying good money for games made to run on 2005 vintage hardware! oh… wait. :cry:

@sbook said:
You guys are just jealous that we're paying good money for games made to run on 2005 vintage hardware! oh.. wait. :cry:

I don't think Skyrim, RAGE, or the real games target 2005 hardware. Only the consoles do that.

@sbook PC gaming, you're doing it wrong. :P
@madjack said:
If you play console ports, then you're not a real PC gamer. :P

yeah but what AAA games has its origins on PC recently I can't think of one title "of note" apart from RTS that says hey lets make a really good game for PC and then back port to console..................from my prospective, I'm more complaining about the input systems then the graphics themselves hell I still think RTCW is the best shooter experience I ever had and played it again a few months ago........for one thing I cant comfortably play games that dont support duel keybindings especially if you have alot of running and jumping to do (reason I avoid games made with source) and then there are those gui/s that seem to be so tailored to gamepads that using your mouse to traverse to interface is a monumental pain the balls, if not completely unsupported. but yeah the graphics can also stink big time along with the attendant bugs that seem to befall said ports.

oh yeah and I am an exclusive PC gamer literally dont have the hands for console gaming