The starts of a beginner guide written

Who's got marketing experience?

That's the key. I'm all for advertising (getting the word out). I've tried, but not all that well. With releases I always send mail to:

today.java.net, JGO, gamdev, flipcode and post on the JGO forums.

today.java.net and JGO put up the news fairly well, flipcode and gamedev did not (either time).

We need games...

or benchmarks :slight_smile: If I wrote some benchmarking code, would you be able to JWS it so I could post it about?

sure

ive been promoting on forum.java.sun.com at the game developement forum there too. Everybody seems to go "ooooh aaaaah" when they hear about it, and do you blame them? :wink:

DP

try this

insted of emal.

yep, that’s what I used.

Like Cep, I started by browsing the forums at Xith3D.

I saw a post (by Mojo, I believe) that said something about ‘jME can do all that already’ or something.

I came here and checked things out… saw the active community (and nicer web site), and decided jME was worth looking into.

After I saw the demos and some of the screenshots in the forums (I think mostly from Dark P), I knew this was the best place to go.

I really think it’s a matter of getting the word out there that jME exists and has a lot here. If people have a look for themselves, that’s all it will take.

Basically, jME can speak for itself (not that anybody was suggesting the contrary). Actual games, or even game demos/screenshots, would help this even more (particularly if they’re easy to find on the site).

My .02.

–K

"mojomonk" wrote:
today.java.net and JGO put up the news fairly well, flipcode and gamedev did not (either time).

I know that flipcode is undergoing a redesign so I do not think that they are not excepting news. You should send a email asking gamedev.net why they are not displaying your news. If they will not let you then you can try to use there forms to display news.
"Shmooh" wrote:
I really think it's a matter of getting the word out there that jME exists and has a lot here. If people have a look for themselves, that's all it will take.

Basically, jME can speak for itself (not that anybody was suggesting the contrary). Actual games, or even game demos/screenshots, would help this even more (particularly if they're easy to find on the site).

I agree. I also think that several new Quickstarts can help.

Well it’s easier to make a word document than make wiki. Like, tons easier. I can format, edit, insert pictures, spell check and tons of other things all at once. But on the other hand, it’s easier to add a paragraph to a wiki describing something than it is to make an entire document for just that paragraph. If it matters, I don’t mind if someone writes the PDF on the wiki. I put up chapter 9 on the PDF. I have a few questions about jME before I’ll be able to write any more.

Yea I made a more simple version. With the simple version, you could use two SimpleLightNode with one lightState. If you go any farther, you’ll need a CVS build to continue.

Why not just put a link on the wiki? Then it will have the appearance of one documentation. I also think that the home page should have a link to the wiki( It is getting hard to fined).

"Badmi" wrote:
I also think that the home page should have a link to the wiki( It is getting hard to fined).
I just found the link. ://

I made the lightstate corrections and some other updates. If you havn’t checked it out in a while, it’s on chapter 11 right now.

Cep21 can you add a last update Date un the pdf( It would let us know if you changed it).

Sounds spiffy, I sure will.

Cep21,

Any chance of adding something on collision detection and something on using effects? (!)

tomcat

My last one does collision detection. Which effects were you wanting to see in paticular. There’s already the particle simulator gui on the site, and the water code is (from it’s documentation) incomplete.

Checked the StarterGuide and cant see collision there. Am I looking in the right place?

I am after some simple stuff such as two boxes colliding and on collision, I like to show some kind of effects say sparks.

tomcat

Hello

I still can’t find the starter guide linked on the jme documentation pages nor wiki ??

I only found it through the link in this post.

Please by all means link at it from a findable place

If i would search for it ( and i did ) i would try:

• getting Started

or
  • Documentation

on the left side frame on the main page

so plz plz link it from somewhere a total ignorant person ( like me ) is able to find or kindly point me to the link if i just missed it.

regards

Martin